Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Precious Metal Exchange - for selling jewellery

Precious Metal Exchange - for selling jewellery

Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Precious Metal Exchange - for selling jewellery

I have some gold jewellery that I no longer wear and would like to sell rather than get re-designed. Has anyone used the above company? Seen their ad for buying gold. They give you 80% of the value.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Precious Metal Exchange - for selling jewellery

80% of who's value, that's the question. You may not agree with their valuation. I have no experience of the company, but maybe you could check on Ebay and see what you might expect to get before approaching PME. You would need to know the gram weight of the gold for accuracy. Good luck with it
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:26 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I would be surprised if you got 80% of the value of the jewellery. They will most likely give you scrap value by weight and then they will sell it to a bullion company that will refine it. Gold prices fluctuate wildly from hour to hour so you may not get what you think you should get, or you may get more. But at least you will get something back for it for sure. Try that with old TV's, HiFi's etc. I would try a few places first to get the best price. I don't know what kind of jewellery you have (9/18/22ct?) but take into account any stones of value too. Diamonds are not cheap and rubies are increasing in value all the time due to scarce supply. But it depends on the quality of the stones etc. An online auction site may give better results. Remember though if you sell it to a company they have to make money from the deal too. Good luck.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Thanks very much. Think I will have it valued first by a jeweller.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Ask the jeweller what they would be prepared to give for it, that would be a realistic valuation, then you can try and better it. The usual jewellers valuation would be an inflated amount for insurance, and not anything like what you would receive for it.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:21 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

A jewellers valuation is based on the replacement cost. If they put a higher value they get more commission as it's a percentage of the value. I was asked to do valuations many years ago but declined. People can get really upset about how much their jewellery is worth. They are very happy if it is worth more than they thought. But when it's less than they thought they can get quite upset. At the end of the day the valuation is interpreted by an idividual person and every one has a different ideas on what an item is worth. Mind you gold is quite high at the moment so you should get a good price.