Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Preaching to the choir.....?

Preaching to the choir.....?

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Preaching to the choir.....?

Been here a while now, I come and go as the urge to emigrate ebbs and flows. If it happens, it's still a long way off.

Anyway, Father-in-law is working toward becoming a local preacher here the UK. Our somewhat lofty goal involves persuading the inlaws to emigrate eventually. So my question is, can a local preacher continue preaching in Aus? Does anybody know? Have any info?

I realise the best place to ask would be at the church, but I would appreciate if anybody has any incites?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preaching to the choir.....?

Is he in any particular denomination? Which may also answer what "local preacher" may mean.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Is he in any particular denomination? Which may also answer what "local preacher" may mean.
Ah yea, sorry RM, he's a Methodist.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reaver
Ah yea, sorry RM, he's a Methodist.
The Methodist Church doesn't exist as such in Australia, although there is the Wesleyan Methodist Church (though not sure how big that actually is).

The Methodist Church was one of the groups that formed the Uniting Church, so I guess they'll be the ones to look at. Probably best to find one that used to be a Methodist Church as they're more likely to have kept hold of the Methodist way of things more.

Can't help much more, I know more about the Anglican Church than the Methodists!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you go about persuading the inlaws to move if they have their own lives/social connections/interests/passions elsewhere? Just curious as to why you would feel the need to do that. IIRC the Methodists are under the Uniting Church umbrella and there are Wesleyan Missions around the place so no doubt there would be opportunities for Methodists
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

My GreyNomads chose to immigrate... It came as a shock and surprise that they wanted to... I was overjoyed...

They are "religious" ...

It's taken a while to find their church family I. Australia, but they have latched onto the salvos here....
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Why would you go about persuading the inlaws to move if they have their own lives/social connections/interests/passions elsewhere? Just curious as to why you would feel the need to do that.
That would be because you have no idea about my own personal circumstances, but thanks for the useful part of your post.