Reload this Page >

Pre-Schools in Sydney

Pre-Schools in Sydney

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:47 am
Just Joined

oldsouthwales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-Schools in Sydney

Hi,
I'm a new subscriber to BE but have used the forums for info since the idea of migrating arose.
My family and I have been here since middle of June and are looking at where to live as we have to be out of our rental end of November. We have family in Erskineville and would like to stay close for moral support during this difficult transition period. We have two young sons and our primary concern is getting them in a good pre-school followed by a good public school in a couple of years.
I understand that the waiting lists on public schools are pretty dire and catchment areas are not well publicized.
I have spoken to KU randwick/coogee pre-school and will look at getting them on the waiting list but I''m not holding any hopes.
Can anyone offer any advice on other options on where to look? I work all day and my wife needs to be happy that our eldest (4 in September) will be in a good school as he's crying out for some company in his age group and the support of the grandparents is sorely missed.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:10 am
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pre-Schools in Sydney

Originally Posted by oldsouthwales
Hi,
I'm a new subscriber to BE but have used the forums for info since the idea of migrating arose.
My family and I have been here since middle of June and are looking at where to live as we have to be out of our rental end of November. We have family in Erskineville and would like to stay close for moral support during this difficult transition period. We have two young sons and our primary concern is getting them in a good pre-school followed by a good public school in a couple of years.
I understand that the waiting lists on public schools are pretty dire and catchment areas are not well publicized.
I have spoken to KU randwick/coogee pre-school and will look at getting them on the waiting list but I''m not holding any hopes.
Can anyone offer any advice on other options on where to look? I work all day and my wife needs to be happy that our eldest (4 in September) will be in a good school as he's crying out for some company in his age group and the support of the grandparents is sorely missed.
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Hope you are settling in. I have no idea on pre-schools as my little one is only 2 however I found this website which was great for finding daycare centres. They have a section on pre-schools and you can search by area so maybe it will help you. Good luck.
Paula.

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search...op_menu=search
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you're specifically looking in the Randwick area, there are 10 pre-schools/kindergartens/child care centres here. Don't get too hung-up on one being labelled a 'pre-school' rather than a child-care centre - in my experience there's no difference between them except the hours they're open. If you expand the area to include Coogee/Clovelly you've probably got over 20 places to pick from.

The only way to find one you like is to visit them and see what you think. They will all have a similar program for pre-school kids (they have to, to be licensed and accredited).

As far as public (state) schools go there are no waiting lists if you live in the area. They have to take your child, regardless of how full they might be. Is your query because you're looking at schools out of the area where you live? Do you live in Erskineville? Can't assist with schools around there, unfortunately, though I'd be wary as it's very close to the public housing areas of Waterloo and Redfern.

Are there not playgoups in your area that your wife could take your child too for the time being? There's nothing better than chatting to local mums for inside info on which are the 'best' schools.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add.

The best state/public schools in this area (Coogee) are supposedly Clovelly and South Coogee. My kids went to private schools so I have no personal experience of either, but my neighbours (intelligent, well-educated expats) have recently checked out all our local schools for their eldest child and came to this conclusion. Their son now goes to South Coogee Public which is not our local school but they got him in with no problems.

http://www.southcoogeepublic.com.au/

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 3rd 2007 at 3:36 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:58 am
Just Joined

oldsouthwales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you're specifically looking in the Randwick area, there are 10 pre-schools/kindergartens/child care centres here. Don't get too hung-up on one being labelled a 'pre-school' rather than a child-care centre - in my experience there's no difference between them except the hours they're open. If you expand the area to include Coogee/Clovelly you've probably got over 20 places to pick from.

The only way to find one you like is to visit them and see what you think. They will all have a similar program for pre-school kids (they have to, to be licensed and accredited).

As far as public (state) schools go there are no waiting lists if you live in the area. They have to take your child, regardless of how full they might be. Is your query because you're looking at schools out of the area where you live? Do you live in Erskineville? Can't assist with schools around there, unfortunately, though I'd be wary as it's very close to the public housing areas of Waterloo and Redfern.

Are there not playgoups in your area that your wife could take your child too for the time being? There's nothing better than chatting to local mums for inside info on which are the 'best' schools.
Thanks for the tips.
I didn't want to be blunt before but to be honest my main concern is that the public (state) schools around Erskineville would have a large element of the public housing area.
As I said before, I'd like to be quite close to Erskineville but have my sons attend schools that do not include a large element from the public housing area's. I know that in black and white this looks and sounds harsh but that's how it is, you want the best for your family - you emigrate - you don't put them in with a lower socioeconomic group than they we with in the UK!!
We'll probably rent for another 12 month before buying a property and one of the important factors on where we buy will be the surrounding schools.
After reading all the hype about the Erskineville area and the transformation it's going through it is an area we're considering. Trains are a great mode of transport when you have children of a pushchair age and there are 2 even 3 station close by.
Obviously, if we could afford the best then we'd give the best, but for now we are a single income family looking to do the best. Let's just hope that in 12 months we're not priced out of the nicer areas of Sydney all together!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oldsouthwales
Thanks for the tips.
I didn't want to be blunt before but to be honest my main concern is that the public (state) schools around Erskineville would have a large element of the public housing area.
As I said before, I'd like to be quite close to Erskineville but have my sons attend schools that do not include a large element from the public housing area's. I know that in black and white this looks and sounds harsh but that's how it is, you want the best for your family - you emigrate - you don't put them in with a lower socioeconomic group than they we with in the UK!!
We'll probably rent for another 12 month before buying a property and one of the important factors on where we buy will be the surrounding schools.
After reading all the hype about the Erskineville area and the transformation it's going through it is an area we're considering. Trains are a great mode of transport when you have children of a pushchair age and there are 2 even 3 station close by.
Obviously, if we could afford the best then we'd give the best, but for now we are a single income family looking to do the best. Let's just hope that in 12 months we're not priced out of the nicer areas of Sydney all together!!!
I know exactly what you mean - my husband works at Redfern and is familiar with some of the - er - social problems around there.

However you may find that Erskinville school (or maybe another nearby) could turn out to be really good. As the area is up-and-coming then there will be plenty of other parents around, just like you, also looking around for good schools for their kids. The best bet is to ask around - literally everyone you meet - for their opinion on the best local school. Check out the nearest Child Health Centre (or whatever they're called nowadays). The staff in there are usually very clued up about what's available for kids in the area.

Good luck!