British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pre-Book Rental Property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pre-book-rental-property-473137/)

Hayes Aug 10th 2007 5:57 pm

Pre-Book Rental Property

Hi. I am going out to Sydney in a couple of weeks to begin training for a new job. Accomodation is provided for 8 weeks by my employer so I will need to find somewhere to rent from late October in Central Coast. I would like to arrange this several weeks before moving in so I can give the details to my shipping company and set things up before my family arrive. Am I likely to encounter problems with agents achieving this???

quercus Aug 11th 2007 6:27 am

Re: Pre-Book Rental Property

Hi Hayes, This might be out of date now, but when we went over in 2001, we rented a holiday appartment in Manley for 30 days while we found a rental. Eventually found one in the nick of time on Central Coast, but the agents insisted on having references. Luckily, they accepted the holiday rental agents who kindly gave us a reference.

I suggest you talk to your employer about a reference to offer the agents, then you should have no problems, hopefully. :)

jimmyr Jan 12th 2008 5:11 pm

Mods note - I have moved this post to its own thread as it is unrelated to the topic of rentals.

quoll Jan 12th 2008 6:25 pm

Not sure that I would be entering a rental contract sight unseen. Some of the online pics can be very misleading and I reckon it always helps to have a bit of a feel for the neighbourhood if you can. 8 weeks should give you enough time to find somewhere. I would think you would be able to change the delivery address for your stuff while it is en route - the general area is not going to change much.

getawaysoon Jan 12th 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 5778583)
Not sure that I would be entering a rental contract sight unseen. Some of the online pics can be very misleading and I reckon it always helps to have a bit of a feel for the neighbourhood if you can. 8 weeks should give you enough time to find somewhere. I would think you would be able to change the delivery address for your stuff while it is en route - the general area is not going to change much.

i went to one of the migration shows and there is a company that provides furnished property in sydney for migrants. They are on george street and you can book it before leaving.

Rosscarbery Jan 12th 2008 10:31 pm

8 weeks should give you plenty of time to find a rental. As someone has already said, don't enter into a contract without seeing the property (even if they will let you which most won't). I reckon the people photographing property here deserve a special award for creativity - they can make postage stamp sized rooms look huge :D