Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-Book Rental Property

Pre-Book Rental Property

Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-Book Rental Property

Hi. I am going out to Sydney in a couple of weeks to begin training for a new job. Accomodation is provided for 8 weeks by my employer so I will need to find somewhere to rent from late October in Central Coast. I would like to arrange this several weeks before moving in so I can give the details to my shipping company and set things up before my family arrive. Am I likely to encounter problems with agents achieving this???
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pre-Book Rental Property

Hi Hayes, This might be out of date now, but when we went over in 2001, we rented a holiday appartment in Manley for 30 days while we found a rental. Eventually found one in the nick of time on Central Coast, but the agents insisted on having references. Luckily, they accepted the holiday rental agents who kindly gave us a reference.

I suggest you talk to your employer about a reference to offer the agents, then you should have no problems, hopefully.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

jimmyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Mods note - I have moved this post to its own thread as it is unrelated to the topic of rentals.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 12th 2008 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that I would be entering a rental contract sight unseen. Some of the online pics can be very misleading and I reckon it always helps to have a bit of a feel for the neighbourhood if you can. 8 weeks should give you enough time to find somewhere. I would think you would be able to change the delivery address for your stuff while it is en route - the general area is not going to change much.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
getawaysoon

Originally Posted by quoll
Not sure that I would be entering a rental contract sight unseen. Some of the online pics can be very misleading and I reckon it always helps to have a bit of a feel for the neighbourhood if you can. 8 weeks should give you enough time to find somewhere. I would think you would be able to change the delivery address for your stuff while it is en route - the general area is not going to change much.
i went to one of the migration shows and there is a company that provides furnished property in sydney for migrants. They are on george street and you can book it before leaving.

Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

8 weeks should give you plenty of time to find a rental. As someone has already said, don't enter into a contract without seeing the property (even if they will let you which most won't). I reckon the people photographing property here deserve a special award for creativity - they can make postage stamp sized rooms look huge