Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pre-arrival job search

pre-arrival job search

Old May 28th 2005, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

teddy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation pre-arrival job search

would job agents or companies be interested in my resume if I apply online jobs before arrival.

I have recently received my PR grant.

thanks to all kind replies.
Old May 28th 2005, 7:51 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future
Default Re: pre-arrival job search

Hi Teddy78,

Just like to congratulate you on getting your visa

My hubby is a boatbuilder/repairer & we are hoping to go to Adelaide (soon !) what my hubby did was to look up all the boatyards & marinas in the yellow pages & he sent them a simple e-mail saying that we were hoping to emigrate this summer & asked if they had any job opportunities for him. He has now got 2 companys after him. He has sent them his C.V & references. So we are now waiting for the visas, then he will decide which job to take.Hope this helps.

Good luck
Old May 28th 2005, 1:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It probably depends on your line of work. The accountancy agencies don't want to know until we can tell them when we will be arriving.
Old May 28th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

i am an IT professional.
Old May 28th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

In the IT field I think the attitudes are getting more strict. In the past, having PR was enough: now, they are specifying Australian residents only. Basically, they've probably been jerked around by people promising to move but not going through with it. Recently, I even saw a normal commercial job (not miliary etc) specifiying Australian citizenship required.

You can try of course, but someone offshore will always rank below someone onshore of equivalent skills.
Old May 29th 2005, 11:06 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

IT's always worth making the effort before you arrive, I mean whats going to happen at worst you get no response. We arrived in Perth in Oct 2003 and it took my partner 5 months to get a job in IT. Check these links for a few IT recruitment agencies

http://www.ambit.com.au/
http://www.gryphon.com.au/start/splash.htm
http://www.iconrec.com.au
http://www.paxus.com.au/
http://www.pic.com.au/
http://www.talent-int.com.au/

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old May 29th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to Storini and Sharon.
Old May 29th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
IT's always worth making the effort before you arrive, I mean whats going to happen at worst you get no response. We arrived in Perth in Oct 2003 and it took my partner 5 months to get a job in IT. Check these links for a few IT recruitment agencies

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

I'm also in IT (software developer), I'd be interested to know what IT field your partner is in, and why he thinks it took 5 months to find a job. Was he waiting for the right offer? Nothing available etc?

Thanks,

Adrian
Old May 30th 2005, 7:18 am
Just Joined

pphillips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have been in Australia for around 2 1/2 years in the I.T sector (Senior Web Developer), with fast amount of experience before I came to Australia, no agent/company wanted to know on the grounds that I was not in the country.

The first day that I arrived, I submitted my Resume/CV with an Australian address and got an interview the next day!!!

So I think you will need to be in the country, though I am not saying you should not try, depending on your experience etc, you might me lucky.

I have recently changed jobs (3 months ago) and found that market quite harsh, there are alot of I.T developers going for one job and this is the reason why most of the time agents will not do business with you until you are in the country as they always want to arrange for interviews ASAP.

Also, over here alot of the BIG guys require Degrees etc, which I don't have, just alot of experience.

I think that you will need to provide some proof (if possible) of your work when you come over here for your first job, e.g. a Web Site etc.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Originally Posted by alrobson
Hi Sharon,

I'm also in IT (software developer), I'd be interested to know what IT field your partner is in, and why he thinks it took 5 months to find a job. Was he waiting for the right offer? Nothing available etc?

Thanks,

Adrian
Old May 31st 2005, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Phillips. That was very helpful.

Originally Posted by pphillips
Hi

I have been in Australia for around 2 1/2 years in the I.T sector (Senior Web Developer), with fast amount of experience before I came to Australia, no agent/company wanted to know on the grounds that I was not in the country.

The first day that I arrived, I submitted my Resume/CV with an Australian address and got an interview the next day!!!

So I think you will need to be in the country, though I am not saying you should not try, depending on your experience etc, you might me lucky.

I have recently changed jobs (3 months ago) and found that market quite harsh, there are alot of I.T developers going for one job and this is the reason why most of the time agents will not do business with you until you are in the country as they always want to arrange for interviews ASAP.

Also, over here alot of the BIG guys require Degrees etc, which I don't have, just alot of experience.

I think that you will need to provide some proof (if possible) of your work when you come over here for your first job, e.g. a Web Site etc.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
Old May 31st 2005, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alrobson
Hi Sharon,

Thanks,

Adrian
I'm a systems engineer, and started responding to job adds on seek.com.au about two weeks before I was due to migrate. A lot of the agencies told me to make contact when I arrived, however Paxus called me in the UK just before I left with a lead. And I got an interview and job (3 month contact) on my second day in Australia.

A lot of IT recruitment agents are sceptical of would be migrants, but also a lot of them are also migrants themselves (the Paxus guy was). Its also worth talking to them about the format of your CV as my UK skills based CV needed quite a bit of rework for the Queensland's job market where more emphasis is placed on people and team skills.

And remember to keep pestering them so that your name and CV is at the top of the pile, say a phone call once a week to "touch bases". Like the rest of the world, people here ignore their emails so get on the blower.

Happy job hunting.

Papa Z