Prahan Market

Old May 6th 2006, 6:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prahan Market

Just did the weekly shop at Prahan Market.

It makes a pleasant change from supermarket and hopefully we will find the produce much more fresh/tastier.

Daughter had a ball helping to choose the leafy greens, fish and meat. So much more to teach them about life. My wife is enjoying showing her what we are buying and then how we are cooking it. Helps having a chinese chef in the house not so good for my waist line though

Kiwi (enjoying a big slice of watermelon)
Old May 6th 2006, 7:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prahan Market

Originally Posted by thebears

It makes a pleasant change from supermarket and hopefully we will find the produce much more fresh/tastier.

Daughter had a ball helping to choose the leafy greens, fish and meat. So much more to teach them about life. My wife is enjoying showing her what we are buying and then how we are cooking it. Helps having a chinese chef in the house not so good for my waist line though

I bought some watermelon today also. 48c a kilo bloody marvellous! beats the carnarvon 'local' bananas at $8 a friggin kilo! I'd love to hear the rationale for that price! I bought fresh local WA cobbler for less than that! Home made fish n chips for dinner tonight
Old May 6th 2006, 7:36 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I bought some watermelon today also. 48c a kilo bloody marvellous! beats the carnarvon 'local' bananas at $8 a friggin kilo! I'd love to hear the rationale for that price! I bought fresh local WA cobbler for less than that! Home made fish n chips for dinner tonight
We even saw some Banana's at $12 a kilo
Old May 6th 2006, 7:52 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

That's just outrageous profiteering I'd say. I love bananas but I'm not about to start paying for fruit what I might spend on many protein foods that make up a main meal.
Old May 6th 2006, 2:32 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from the indian shop selling curry sauces in the deli area, especially the birmingham balti sauce. It is tasteless and expensive. However, their green mango chutney is excellent
The counter selling the cheeses, olives and dips in the vegie section, right by the door to the main deli section is wonderful, but the butchers and fishmongers are fairly expensive for a market.
Have you been to South Melbourne market yet? Thats just down the road from Prahan market and has a bigger selection of butchers.
On the subject of a chinese chef - any chance of a recipe for crispy, shredded chilli beef?

Old May 8th 2006, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Yep, I found that at my local veg market, the girl at the counter said it was due to the hurricane wiping out the entire banana plantation in Queensland, and it would take around 9 months to re-grow.

Was she pulling my leg???
Old May 8th 2006, 3:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Yep, I found that at my local veg market, the girl at the counter said it was due to the hurricane wiping out the entire banana plantation in Queensland, and it would take around 9 months to re-grow.

Was she pulling my leg???
No shes straight up.
Also Australia doesn't import bananas so we have to make do with what is left after the hurricane.
As she said it will be 9 months to a year before prices come down.