Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR/Return Resident Visa/citizenship question

PR/Return Resident Visa/citizenship question

Old May 21st 2003, 7:29 pm
Badge

Default PR/Return Resident Visa/citizenship question

Here's what i wrote to aus immigration...(in response to a question about visas and passports

i wrote:

"Get the passport and the citizenship - its not worth ..not getting..(!) here's how i see it..

the PR is valid for 5 years - you can come and go etc

BUT....if you leave after 5 years without getting a Return Resident Visa you can't come back on PR!! i wonder how many people have ever been stuffed in this way?!!

getting the passport stops all this buggering around renewing a RRV - and if you been out of the country alot it is presumably hard to prove 'commitment' to Aus anyhow..

toge t a passport you need to have spent 2 out of that first 5 yrs - and been resident for the last 12 months..

(presumably that means you can 'accrue' the first year over any of the first 5 then...)"

now, i am interested in

a) has anyone got any stories to tell of people leaving Aus after 5 years of PR without a Return Residents Visa???!! and getting 'stranded'??!!! what a story!

b) IS the first year of the 2 yr period for citizenship accruable..as they say you must have been in Aus for the *last* full year of the 2 year period before you apply for citizenship..

ie. 6 months the first year; 6 months the 2nd year; followed by 1 complete 3rd year for passport...???!!!

thanks in advance

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; May 21st 2003 at 7:31 pm.