power tools!!!

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:24 am
waiting for the sun

ozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant future
Default power tools!!!

can any one put me straight, im a joiner and need to take loads of gear as you can imagine. but i've heard my tools which run of 110v will be no good is this true? i hope not as i don't fancy buying all that gear again!!!!!:curse:
sorry did'nt say were going to queensland (hervey bay)
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:05 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: power tools!!!

Originally Posted by ozziebods
can any one put me straight, im a joiner and need to take loads of gear as you can imagine. but i've heard my tools which run of 110v will be no good is this true? i hope not as i don't fancy buying all that gear again!!!!!:curse:
sorry did'nt say were going to queensland (hervey bay)
they will ok mate
its just that nobody uses 110v over here
its all 240v via rcd (safty switches) that or battery drills
so there wont be a chuffin big 10kva tranny on site for you to plug into
so if you are going to use the 110v bring along your own tranny

regards steve
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem you'll have is finding someone up this way to test & tag your 110v stuff. I brought all mine & it's collecting dust under the house as no one would test & tag it. If you do the Test & Tag course & buy the tester I suppose you can always test your own kit. Don't hold your breath for the next one up at the Bay though, I've been waiting nearly two years for there to be sufficient interest to run another one. You could be the very man to make up the numbers though.
I did hear of a bloke on the Gold Coast who got 110v tools tested & tagged he's the only one in four yrs though. A 600k round trip is long way to go every three months just to get your kit tested. If your caught on site it's [at the last visit] $150 bucks per untagged item including all extension leads as well as tools.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:44 pm
waiting for the sun

ozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant futureozziebods has a brilliant future

sounds like you've looked at all the possibilities!!! do you know the cost of training and testing gear? you never know it might be a good sideline plus it might be cheaper than buying new gear. (i like my old stuff! know how it feels,even better than i know how the wife does well sometimes!)
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

As Steve says they will work fine, you'll just have to change the 240 Volt plug on the transformer. Not sure why people are having trouble testing and tagging them. Maybe its because Aussie electricians aren't familiar with them. I'd have no problem with test/tagging them.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:10 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what you mean about familiar "old tools" I brought mine and used them for a few weeks, we then did the "blue card" course and found out that tools needed testing & tagging. I approached nearly every electrical contractor in my area [Wide Bay] none would look at the 110v stuff as it didn't have Aussie plugs on it or it "didn't conform" I had every excuse imaginable as to why it was inferior to 240v with an RCD. I suspect much of it is bullsh!t and not being used to seeing that kind of gear, it maybe even be down to the old adage of "it has to be Australian owned and Australian made"
I inquired at the QBSA as well as the local TAFE that teaches the test & tag course [circa $300 bucks] One bloke got back to me and explained that as a 110v transformer was center tapped to earth it would fail the test and render all the other tools unusable. Dad said that could be true dependent upon how the test is carried out, so I replaced all my kit, then, about two yrs down the track a chippy working on the Gold Coast posted that he had managed to get all his kit tested without any problems. As I'd bought all new I didn't pursue the issue. I did inquire as to the availability of the next t & t course, booked myself on it and am still waiting for it to run:curse:
We still get our kit done by a mate, he charges us a carton of beer and tests all our gear in one go. We even get the sandwich toaster & jug done in the winter.
You can only test & tag your own kit if you do the following course:
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...urse/index.htm
To be able to go into business test & tagging you need to gain an electrical contractors licence.
I'd bring the gear do the course and tag your own. It will save you a fortunt in the long run.