Power Tools

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Bev038 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power Tools

Most of the power tools my partner uses runs on 240 or 110 volts. Can these tools be used in Ox & if so can they be shipped with us rather than send them later.
Also we would like to bring our state of the art patio heather which runs or bottle gas here. Will this be able to work in Oz. Not been able to find any info on any of these questions.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:41 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Power Tools

Originally Posted by Bev038
Most of the power tools my partner uses runs on 240 or 110 volts. Can these tools be used in Ox & if so can they be shipped with us rather than send them later.
Also we would like to bring our state of the art patio heather which runs or bottle gas here. Will this be able to work in Oz. Not been able to find any info on any of these questions.

Hi Bev,
Andrew is also taking all his power tools, they will be put into the container along with anything else we are taking. Definitely won't be sending them by air as he went on a job to Portugal a few years back and 2 small tool boxes cost us £194 each way. Luckily he got it back as expenses. Hope this helps.
Sarah
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:52 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Can these tools be used in Ox
I reckon if you try that you'll have the RSPCA on your back

But yes, the power tools will work in Oz with a change of plug.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:32 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The 240 with change of plug, but the 110 ones need a transformer.

Dunno about your gas heater
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If the tools are for use on a construction site as part of his job then don't bother with anything 110v.
By it's design a transformer will not pass the electrical safety test necessary for all site tools, power leads, radios or anything else you plug in on a site. This will make all his 110v tools useless accept for DIY so sell them and buy new.
Take a look here for more info
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/index.htm
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:57 am
ABCDiamond

Is the Patio heater like the ones at this link ?
http://www.sitro.com.au/products/?cat=4&sub=22

They work on a standard BBQ type gas bottle here.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Bev038 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Power Tools

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Bev,
Andrew is also taking all his power tools, they will be put into the container along with anything else we are taking. Definitely won't be sending them by air as he went on a job to Portugal a few years back and 2 small tool boxes cost us £194 each way. Luckily he got it back as expenses. Hope this helps.
Sarah
Thanks,Tony will be well pleased with this just trying to sort out all the not so important details as wel think of them
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:41 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cresta57
If the tools are for use on a construction site as part of his job then don't bother with anything 110v.
By it's design a transformer will not pass the electrical safety test necessary for all site tools, power leads, radios or anything else you plug in on a site. This will make all his 110v tools useless accept for DIY so sell them and buy new.

Hi,
Just checked out this link but not actually sure which bit I'm supposed to look at for info on 110v power tools. Can someone please point me in the right direction as him in doors will not believe me. He thinks I'm just finding excuses for not taking his beloved tools. Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Hello cresta57,

Thats bad news for people like myself i,ve spent years building up my power tool kit (around 3 grand).I,ll still take them as i may drop straight into new build like i do here and use my generator.

dave
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:59 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello cresta57,

Thats bad news for people like myself i,ve spent years building up my power tool kit (around 3 grand).I,ll still take them as i may drop straight into new build like i do here and use my generator.

dave
I'm in new build now and cannot use any of the tools I brought from the U.K.
I've posted this before but will say it again. You cannot use a transformer or 110v power tools here. You need to have them tested and tagged every three months they will not pass the test. Inspectors regularly travel around the sites and check as to whether your tools are tagged. Fines are on the spot and can vary from $150 bucks an item up to a couple of grand. We were inspected last week and have nearly been caught twice before that.
It's up to you if you bring them but I spent a shed load of cash bringing mine not to mention the cleaning process just to get them through Aquis and they're all in the garage collecting dust now.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by teach
Hi,
Just checked out this link but not actually sure which bit I'm supposed to look at for info on 110v power tools. Can someone please point me in the right direction as him in doors will not believe me. He thinks I'm just finding excuses for not taking his beloved tools. Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Sorry about the link it used to open up a pdf file with all the relevant regulations on using power tools on site. The info is still there it's titled http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/safety_work.pdf You'll need a pdf viewer.

As for a layman's explanation on the transformer thing I'll quote from the old man who's sitting here:
A 110 volt transformer is by it's design centre tapped to earth, this produces 55 volts to earth in the event of something going wrong with the tool. As a result of this the RCD could fail to operate. The Australian Workplace Health and Safety Legislation throws more weight behind the use of the residual current devices than the use of 110volt tools.
My own view is that 110v tools are far safer than 240v utilising an RCD but until Australia comes in line with the rest of the world I'll have to abide by the laws here.
I initially tried to get my transformers tested and tagged, firstly I could not find an electrician competent to test one as they are a rarity here [transformers not competent electricians] secondly upon finding a "good old Essex boy" he refused to tag it as it failed the necessary testing procedure. As the rest of the tools plugged into the transformer continued testing was impractical

Perhaps an electrician who's licensed and working here testing and tagging tools could enlighten us further.

Just to add another footnote following on from the "electrical question" thread the other day the link I've posted clearly states that whilst it is not illegal to purchase plugs they must be fitted by a qualified electrician. As it's a Queensland govt. website I'd say that's sufficient proof for even the most sceptical.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Just to add another footnote following on from the "electrical question" thread the other day the link I've posted clearly states that whilst it is not illegal to purchase plugs they must be fitted by a qualified electrician. As it's a Queensland govt. website I'd say that's sufficient proof for even the most sceptical.
Hi cresta

Seems pretty clear that a qualified electrician is required to fit plugs to appliances. It's crazy, but if thats the case then so be it.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Hello, my partner is a carpenter and he has an abundance of tools, including 110 and 220. 110 is definitely safer to use on site work but since he has been reading the threads about tools he has started to buy cordless tools.
Surely these will be fine on sites will these have to be tested too?
How clean do they have to be to ship? They don't have to be cleaned inside do they?
Any replies on this would be grateful

Julie
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Hello, my partner is a carpenter and he has an abundance of tools, including 110 and 220. 110 is definitely safer to use on site work but since he has been reading the threads about tools he has started to buy cordless tools.
Surely these will be fine on sites will these have to be tested too?
How clean do they have to be to ship? They don't have to be cleaned inside do they?
Any replies on this would be grateful

Julie
Your safe regarding cordless tools but the chargers will need testing and tagging every 3 months. With regards to cleaning, I wiped mine with a damp rag dried them and made sure the boxes were power washed clean. Jeyes fluid is popular and I'm sure Aquis think U.K must stink of it I did use some but sparingly.
Chippies here mainly use air tools and most tow a builders trailor with a compressor fitted inside just plugging air lines into the trailor. Whole different ball game here to what I was used to seeing in U.K but I only worked for a small firm there.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:29 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Hi Sarah,
Sorry about the link it used to open up a pdf file with all the relevant regulations on using power tools on site. The info is still there it's titled http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/safety_work.pdf You'll need a pdf viewer.

As for a layman's explanation on the transformer thing I'll quote from the old man who's sitting here:
A 110 volt transformer is by it's design centre tapped to earth, this produces 55 volts to earth in the event of something going wrong with the tool. As a result of this the RCD could fail to operate. The Australian Workplace Health and Safety Legislation throws more weight behind the use of the residual current devices than the use of 110volt tools.
My own view is that 110v tools are far safer than 240v utilising an RCD but until Australia comes in line with the rest of the world I'll have to abide by the laws here.
I initially tried to get my transformers tested and tagged, firstly I could not find an electrician competent to test one as they are a rarity here [transformers not competent electricians] secondly upon finding a "good old Essex boy" he refused to tag it as it failed the necessary testing procedure. As the rest of the tools plugged into the transformer continued testing was impractical

Perhaps an electrician who's licensed and working here testing and tagging tools could enlighten us further.

Hi Cresta,
Thanks for this. I have printed off the necessary for him to take to work as at the moment he is working with an 'Australian Electrician'. I use that term loosely as although I don't know the guy and I get the feeling he is not quite what he says he is. He has told Andrew that it's absolutely no problem to use 110v power tools on site.Upon my request Andrew questioned him about tagging, his response 'what's that no one tags anything' Where did he train? Disneyland Paris!!!! Thanks for your help.
Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.