Reload this Page >

Power plugs: UK - Aus

Wikiposts

Power plugs: UK - Aus

Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:24 am
Just Joined

dlm78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Power plugs: UK - Aus

Possibly a stupid question but can British appliances (with standard 3 pin plug: live, neutral, earth) be wired with Aus plugs (with the funny 3 pin (and sometimes 2) setup)? Otherwise, I will have to buy a shed load of adaptors (in which case anyone know where I can get these cheap?)

Many thanks.
Dan.

Last edited by dlm78; Aug 20th 2003 at 12:27 am.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:46 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Thumbs up

Putting Aus plugs on to replace UK ones is not a problem.

Tip. Bring a couple of 4 or 6 socket extension leads, that way you can swap the plug on the extension and still plug in half a dozen UK plugs before you get around to switching them all over.

You can keep the extension leads for all those unchangeable power adapters, e.g. for mobile phones, video camera rechargers... probably cheaper than a travel adaptor too!

Last edited by welshpom; Aug 20th 2003 at 1:04 am.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:17 am
Just Joined

mark 1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshpom
Putting Aus plugs on to replace UK ones is not a problem.

Tip. Bring a couple of 4 or 6 socket extension leads, that way you can swap the plug on the extension and still plug in half a dozen UK plugs before you get around to switching them all over.

You can keep the extension leads for all those unchangeable power adapters, e.g. for mobile phones, video camera rechargers... probably cheaper than a travel adaptor too!
well done welshpom bloody good advice

mark
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:32 am
Just Joined

dlm78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that. Great info. I hadn't even considered the 'unchangable' things! As for the plug change, I assume that it'd just be a case of taking one off and putting new one on - wire for wire.

Thanks again!
Dan.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:53 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by dlm78
Many thanks for that. Great info. I hadn't even considered the 'unchangable' things! As for the plug change, I assume that it'd just be a case of taking one off and putting new one on - wire for wire.
The Aussie plugs I've put on my cables so far have been of two types.

a) http://www.hartill.net/Aus/plug_a.jpg

b) http://www.hartill.net/Aus/plug_b.jpg

Type (a) was the first kind I found. I won't buy any more of those. The two I got were buggers to put together, and they stick out too far (can't put them behind furniture, e.g. bedside tables)

Type (b) are much easier to wire up and are nice 'n compact. Oh, and yes, they are just wire for wire replacements.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:54 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dlm78

Thanks again!
Dan.
We left ours on UK plugs and have a bunch of 4 and 6 ways trailing over the place. :-) Mind you, it's only a small meece-sized flat...

Something I'd like to know, UK plugs are rated at 13amp and have fuses. Oz plugs are 10amp and unfused (well the ones I found in Bunnings were). So does my UK stuff expect to have the protection of a fused plug?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:01 am
Can't re member

Originally posted by Anon E Mouse
Something I'd like to know, UK plugs are rated at 13amp and have fuses. Oz plugs are 10amp and unfused (well the ones I found in Bunnings were). So does my UK stuff expect to have the protection of a fused plug?
I've a feeling the UK is one of the very few countries with fused plugs, and sice nothing is actually made in the UK these days, I wouldn't think it's a problem.

Has anyone had a fuse blow recently ?. As a kid in the 70s/80s I can remember having to change fuses now and then, but in the last 10-15 years I've not changed one fuse. The house "fuse box" (they have a different name these days) would always trip if something out of the ordinary happened.