Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power Disconnected to Unit on Entry

Power Disconnected to Unit on Entry

Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Power Disconnected to Unit on Entry

Just a question, has anyone encountered this before. We got the keys to our new place very late Friday. We only definately knew we were getting it very early Friday, maybe late Thursday. We have had alot of problems regarding the tenancy agreement. But when we entered the unit, there was no power on. We called up a utility supplier, they said the earliest we could get it turned on was Monday pm. So that meant we had no power from 5pm Friday till late Monday afternoon. In this heat, no light, no cooking etc. It completely slipped my mind to sort out the power, i have never encountered this before. The main switch has been switched off and a card left in our letterbox saying "please contact an electricity retailer to arrange for your power to be switched on". We went to see the body corporate, they gave us the key to the meter house, the switch was taped up, and turned off. My partner removed the tape and switched it to on, then the power was fine. Apparently you are not allowed to do this, it is breaking the law, also you are not paying for your power. Which worries me, i had to work all weekend, so i needed the aircon on in the day, and i needed to wash. When we call up an energy supplier tomorrow, they will call Energex, who will come out to switch the power back on, but they will see it is already on, switched on by someone else. What are the consequences? Its just the meter was read when the old tenants moved out, so in hindsight that is our initial reading, there final reading. I am happy to pay from this reading as we have been using power all weekend. Just do not know what to say, if i am questioned about it , by Energex? The unit is up for sale anyway, it has been empty for a while, it could have been the realestate agent who turned it on, showing buyers around? I know it was us? Anyone got any advice or thoughts of what to say or do? I could nip down on the day Energex comes round and switch it back off? But it means no power all day till they come around. Also their last reading and the new reading will be way off as we have been using power all weekend?

Any thoughts or advice, anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Power Disconnected to Unit on Entry

Take a reading of the meter and pay from that date, what do they expect you to sit in the dark? your not trying to steal electric and gas etc as you are paying for what you use.

either that or say it was already on mate they will know when it was last used and when you used it from,
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
Just a question, has anyone encountered this before. We got the keys to our new place very late Friday. We only definately knew we were getting it very early Friday, maybe late Thursday. We have had alot of problems regarding the tenancy agreement. But when we entered the unit, there was no power on. We called up a utility supplier, they said the earliest we could get it turned on was Monday pm. So that meant we had no power from 5pm Friday till late Monday afternoon. In this heat, no light, no cooking etc. It completely slipped my mind to sort out the power, i have never encountered this before. The main switch has been switched off and a card left in our letterbox saying "please contact an electricity retailer to arrange for your power to be switched on". We went to see the body corporate, they gave us the key to the meter house, the switch was taped up, and turned off. My partner removed the tape and switched it to on, then the power was fine. Apparently you are not allowed to do this, it is breaking the law, also you are not paying for your power. Which worries me, i had to work all weekend, so i needed the aircon on in the day, and i needed to wash. When we call up an energy supplier tomorrow, they will call Energex, who will come out to switch the power back on, but they will see it is already on, switched on by someone else. What are the consequences? Its just the meter was read when the old tenants moved out, so in hindsight that is our initial reading, there final reading. I am happy to pay from this reading as we have been using power all weekend. Just do not know what to say, if i am questioned about it , by Energex? The unit is up for sale anyway, it has been empty for a while, it could have been the realestate agent who turned it on, showing buyers around? I know it was us? Anyone got any advice or thoughts of what to say or do? I could nip down on the day Energex comes round and switch it back off? But it means no power all day till they come around. Also their last reading and the new reading will be way off as we have been using power all weekend?

Any thoughts or advice, anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks
I don't know why they would have taped the mains switch up - - last time I seen that there was a fault and it was taped up for safety.
I have never ever come across this before as in all the places I have rented, the guy did a reading after me calling the supplier, either Origin or AGL (same with gas) and that was the starting reading. As the old tennents had their final reading, what is to say that it was used since then, so this should be the starting reading. If you want to own up, he would have to estimate how much you have used for 3 days.
Energex really now only provide infrastructure and repairs to lines - not sure why they would have to come out to flip a switch - never seen them do that except for the time when they upgraded power-cables in the street and did it jus to be sure that the connection between the street and meterbox was safe to use.
As the old tennents had their final reading, what is to say that it was used since then.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 20th 2013 at 8:45 am.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
Take a reading of the meter and pay from that date, what do they expect you to sit in the dark? your not trying to steal electric and gas etc as you are paying for what you use.

either that or say it was already on mate they will know when it was last used and when you used it from,
Cheers, there was an enegex like sticker covering the switch, just saying this should only be removed by an authrorised person.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, there was an enegex like sticker covering the switch, just saying this should only be removed by an authrorised person.
You were duly authorised by the body corporate
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I don't know why they would have taped the mains switch up - - last time I seen that there was a fault and it was taped up for safety.
I have never ever come across this before as in all the places I have rented, the guy did a reading after me calling the supplier, either Origin or AGL (same with gas) and that was the starting reading. As the old tennents had their final reading, what is to say that it was used since then, so this should be the starting reading. If you want to own up, he would have to estimate how much you have used for 3 days.
Energex really now only provide infrastructure and repairs to lines - not sure why they would have to come out to flip a switch - never seen them do that except for the time when they upgraded power-cables in the street and did it jus to be sure that the connection between the street and meterbox was safe to use.
As the old tennents had their final reading, what is to say that it was used since then.
The corporate body says it happens all the time, there was an enegex like sticker covering the switch, just saying this should only be removed by an authrorised person...i think what it is, people are moving into units and not signing up with a power provider for a few weeks, so getting free power, until they feel ready. The sticker is put on at the final reading, the power switched off, so the new tenants, if they have not signed up with a power provider, and given enough notice to enegex to come out and flip the switch, well its tough love. Like us, we are new to Oz, well never moved before, and it never crossed my mind. I was going to move in, take a reading,m and call up Click energy all done in a minute, like the UK. Just do not want to get fined or be accused of not paying for my power..
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
You were duly authorised by the body corporate
Shes an old lady, i would never drop her in it. Rather do time....I am not a grasss.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The corporate body says it happens all the time, there was an enegex like sticker covering the switch, just saying this should only be removed by an authrorised person...i think what it is, people are moving into units and not signing up with a power provider for a few weeks, so getting free power, until they feel ready. The sticker is put on at the final reading, the power switched off, so the new tenants, if they have not signed up with a power provider, and given enough notice to enegex to come out and flip the switch, well its tough love. Like us, we are new to Oz, well never moved before, and it never crossed my mind. I was going to move in, take a reading,m and call up Click energy all done in a minute, like the UK. Just do not want to get fined or be accused of not paying for my power..
No worries. It must be a specific thing for that body corp - never heard of it happening before.

If you move again, organise new premises and connections before moving. That is why I always have premises for 2 weeks prior to the end of the lease - it gives you time to organise utility connection and disconnections, mail redirection, phone etc, to be ready to go when you move out.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 20th 2013 at 10:04 am.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
No worries. It must be a specific thing for that body corp - never heard of it happening before.

If you move again, organise new premises and connections before moving. That is why I always have premises for 2 weeks prior to the end of the lease - it gives you time to organise utility connection and disconnections (for the same day), mail redirection, phone etc, to be ready to go when you move out.
We could not afford the two extra weeks rent, a bit stretched at the moment, but will will sign up with a suppier tomorrow, be all legal Tue or Wed. hopefully.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just tell the truth blackcab - that you moved in and had no power and you assumed that the 'authorised person' to remove the sticker was yourself, as you're now the legal tenant. They can't hang you for making an honest mistake. Now put your feet up and make a cuppa - moving is stressful enough, you don't need all this added stress!! Good luck - things will get easier x

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 20th 2013 at 10:51 am. Reason: whoops, called the OP by the wrong name!
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:54 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Did you take an initial meter reading for your tenancy before flipping the switch? if so, relax and give your retailer that number as your start reading. its not like you are setting up a dodgy high power hobby and cheating the retailers from their revenue.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

That happened to us. We just did the same and took off the tape and turned it on. Like another poster said, what do they expect you to do all weekend, sit in the dark?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:20 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora

energex will have read the meter when they switched it off,