Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power Bills in Brisbane

Power Bills in Brisbane

Old Aug 25th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Power Bills in Brisbane

Just for the record my last power bill is attached. This is for 3 months for a 3 bed house no pool or a/c and just me living their. The good thing about here is their is no standing charge.
The night rate is for the hot water as they use off peak power to heat the water for use the next day. I've never run out so far.

I thought about getting a solar system before I came (tank on the roof with panels to heat the water) as they advertise them for about $1500, but as I spend less than $5 per month for hot water it would never pay for itself.

Lots of houses have these systems in Brisbane don't know how effective they are.
Attached Thumbnails Power Bills in Brisbane-electricty-bill-mod.gif  

Last edited by Kiwipaul; Aug 25th 2003 at 11:08 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 4:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up my bill online and found my daily usage was

Tariff 33 10KWh
Tariff 11 20KWh

With daily cost at $3.30. Now this is only based on a bill that covered 16 days, so could be unrepresentative, and does cover running reverse cycle a/c and pool filter and having people at home during the day. By comparison to KP's bill this is about 3.5 times higher, I hope I am not running the street lighting!
Old Aug 25th 2003, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Wow - that's cheap! My recent bill, just 61 days is $226.45. This is a Winter bill on a 4 x 2 home with pool pump running at night for a few hours.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 5:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I switched my Pool pump down from 8 hrs a day to 2 hrs a day at my previous rental house to balance out the cost of running heaters in the winter - worked out about right. Pool did turn a strange shade of green however!

I have a previous quarterly bill which was $264.35. I asked to pay monthly amount of $70 so I don't keep getting hit every quarter.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Night rate is simple to convert to you need a 250ltr plus tank tho,with kids we have the huge one 400 litres I think cost just over a thousand + fitting.

Our leccy bills in summer with airconditioner, Pool, and about 4 people are between 400-450 a quater tho.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwipaul - I just checked my power rates and I pay 15c per KWh for general power and 11c for controlled. And my area (waikato NZ) has one of the cheapest tarrifs in the country.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:49 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Just a quick question, Do the meters always get read every quarter, or do they sometimes get 'estimated' as in the UK.

Steve.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:53 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

A cheap leccy bill and the chance to win a bicycle!! Yippeee!!
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Just got my bill , we are in rented a 4x2 , with a open lounge , diner and kitchen , front room , laundry and toilet , this bill was $151 for the month . They are like this every month , no pool , no spa , no air con !!! But we do have 42 lights , how bad is that , in the open plan room they have got spotlights with 3 on each one , we have 4 of those and a light in the kitchen , no wonder we have huge bills. Every time a bulb goes im not replacing it !!! And we havent any xmas lights around the house , banned.
Joanne
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I don't know why my power bill is so cheap, I've got no energy efficient lights (why bother) I don't try and say power as it's not worth the hassle. I thought my bill my bill would be lower than most but not by so much. Do different statres have different rates for power??.

Must admit my power bill in NZ was about NZ$2 per day and again I was all electric on roughly the same size house. Did have a Calor gas mobile heater for living room though in the winter.

Seem to remember their is a line charge in NZ as well, but this was nearly 4 years ago.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I don't know why my power bill is so cheap, I've got no energy efficient lights (why bother) I don't try and say power as it's not worth the hassle. I thought my bill my bill would be lower than most but not by so much. Do different statres have different rates for power??.

Must admit my power bill in NZ was about NZ$2 per day and again I was all electric on roughly the same size house. Did have a Calor gas mobile heater for living room though in the winter.

Seem to remember their is a line charge in NZ as well, but this was nearly 4 years ago.
My bill is always around the $200 mark... sometimes $185, other times $220 etc depending on the time of the year. There's two adults in our household. Winter we use a fan heater in the nights so that probably accounts for my high bill, we don't have a swimming pool. I can only put mine down to the fan heater in winter, sometimes the aircon in summer (I have a an aircon in he bedroom... but hardly use it, only now and again). we do one load of washing in the machine each night, usually use the electric oven too. That's all that I can think of.. This is for a three bed average size house.(my last house.)I haven't had an electric bill for this house yet as I've only just moved in (4 bed, 2 bed/spa office, dining etc etc... so it's a lot larger than my last house) . The bills I'm quoting is for a three bed my last house,

I haven't got an old bill on me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure supply for mine is 95 days and not 91 like yours.. which is odd isn't it, it's all energex and we're both in the Brisbane area.

Anyway, mine is double your bill. I know there are two of us.. but it still dosen't add up.. it shouldn't be that more expensive than one person.

Cheers

P.s thought I'd also tell you (just in case you don't realise) you haven't blocked out your details well enough on your bill... the yellow is semi transparent and I can clearly see your name and account number. My screen may be set lighter than yours if you cant see it. Thought I'd better warn you just in case.