Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

potential migrant Electricians

potential migrant Electricians

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

carreyn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default potential migrant Electricians

Just a bit of advise for any British Electricians migrating to Australia. I cam here in 1975 with my city & guilds as an electrical mechanic firmly tucked under my arm. I was promised lots of work. To my horror after landing here was told I would have to return to Trade school. I did to study the same subjectsI had just completed in the UK.
I attended trade school for 3 years I was obligated to pass set out modules and final exams all very similar but not as advanced as the city and guilds.

The Australian society in 1975 was very anti british. I believe that any British qualified electrician would find it very difficult to obtain an Australian Electrical licience. With out this you will not be alowed to work in the electrical trade.

The electrical licience system is operated by the individual states and you would have to apply to which ever State you were going to work in.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Maulwurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: potential migrant Electricians

Originally Posted by carreyn1
Just a bit of advise for any British Electricians migrating to Australia. I cam here in 1975 with my city & guilds as an electrical mechanic firmly tucked under my arm. I was promised lots of work. To my horror after landing here was told I would have to return to Trade school. I did to study the same subjectsI had just completed in the UK.
I attended trade school for 3 years I was obligated to pass set out modules and final exams all very similar but not as advanced as the city and guilds.

The Australian society in 1975 was very anti british. I believe that any British qualified electrician would find it very difficult to obtain an Australian Electrical licience. With out this you will not be alowed to work in the electrical trade.

The electrical licience system is operated by the individual states and you would have to apply to which ever State you were going to work in.
I remember watching this show "No turning back" on BBC Prime. One guy was going to aus and he was also an electrician. He just sat an exam as far as I know and got a license.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

sorry for stating the obvious but that was 30 years ago.

being an electrician myself and looking into migrating to perth i have gained much knowledge and the process is this.(someone correct me if i am wrong)

you get apply for tra,if thats positive then you apply for your skilled visa,when thats accpeted you then go to live in oz,then you need to apply for your electricians license when you will have to sit a written and a practical exam (not do 3 years at college because the tra will recognise you have done training).you can have a temp license that lasts for 3 months in which time you have to do the exam to gain the full license.

no disrespect but as you did it 30 years ago and dont seem to know the system as it is now what is the point in your post.

karl
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Typical I'm British response. Aroggance Has no place in Australia. You wil find out if and when you get here. You will quickly realise you have to earn money.
Your trade is what you do you will have to respond with attending Australian dumb arse Schools. To be taught what you allready know.

I Know of electricians as early as last year from the UK still at trade school trying to obtain an electrical licience. Suck shit you arrogant Poms and I was born over there. I don't say things to make a storry Iam trying to help.

Originally Posted by baggie

being an electrician myself and looking into migrating to perth i have gained much knowledge and the process is this.(someone correct me if i am wrong)

you get apply for tra,if thats positive then you apply for your skilled visa,when thats accpeted you then go to live in oz,then you need to apply for your electricians license when you will have to sit a written and a practical exam (not do 3 years at college because the tra will recognise you have done training).you can have a temp license that lasts for 3 months in which time you have to do the exam to gain the full license.

no disrespect but as you did it 30 years ago and dont seem to know the system as it is now what is the point in your post.

karl
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:48 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

karl
Agree with you baggie, my missus is an Aus and I've been there a good few times and the British sparks I know working there, didn't have to do three years trade school.

You do need to carry out some formal training and sit some tests, but to be fair I see no issue with that, it's a shame we don't do the same over here.

One other thing, if we have to do three years training again, then it ain't gonna help Aus out with there current reported trade skill shortage - well not for another three years anyway
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:52 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Typical I'm British response. Aroggance Has no place in Australia. You wil find out if and when you get here. You will quickly realise you have to earn money.
Your trade is what you do you will have to respond with attending Australian dumb arse Schools. To be taught what you allready know.

I Know of electricians as early as last year from the UK still at trade school trying to obtain an electrical licience. Suck shit you arrogant Poms and I was born over there. I don't say things to make a storry Iam trying to help.
I don`t think there was any need to be so rude - sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. From talking to electricians already over there and reading threads it would seem that getting your Agrade electrical license could take from a couple of weeks to 6 months - I think having your JIB?? card makes it easier.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

"suck shit you arrogant Poms"

-What a lovely turn of phrase. If you are just trying to help, then give a little bit of positive along with the negative. Things are never all bad! You claim that the poster is arrogant but then you describe trade schools in Australia as "dumb arse schools". A little hypocritical?

People migrating to any country should have to obtain a certificate of competence in my opinion, as -although you maybe confident and safe in your own country- other countries have different ways of doing things and different terminology.

Thanks for your help tho.

Jamie
Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

'suck shit you arrogant pom'

what the hell is all that about like i said you did it 30 years ago i have been researching migrating for last 2 years and not one spark i know (those who are applying and those over there)none i repeat NONE have gone back to college for 3 years.
maybe you were so s**t at your job that they thought you needed to retrain.

i see that was your second post m8 if they are all goin to be that good take my advice and do one back under the rock you came from under....
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: potential migrant Electricians

'suck shit you arrogant pom'

what the hell is all that about like i said you did it 30 years ago i have been researching migrating for last 2 years and not one spark i know (those who are applying and those over there)none i repeat NONE have gone back to college for 3 years.
maybe you were so s**t at your job that they thought you needed to retrain.

i see that was your second post m8 if they are all goin to be that good take my advice and do one back under the rock you came from under....
I was thinking of returning to the UK but if you are typical of uk electricians no wonder the Australian's need to test uk qualified (aledged) electricians. You want to come to oz do as the Australians take a shower at least once a day and stop whingeing.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of returning to the UK but if you are typical of uk electricians no wonder the Australian's need to test uk qualified (aledged) electricians. You want to come to oz do as the Australians take a shower at least once a day and stop whingeing.
A chip on his shoulder?. A log more like.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:39 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Look you may have been trying to be helpful but as was pointed out it things may have changed since you first came over. Going all anti and agressive is not doing yourself any favours - I really think you over reacted to the reply to your thread from Baggy, It was merely stating that like I`ve said things may have changed. You came across as anti Oz, then in your reply totally anti Brit - just because of what was pointed out!! Try and take a chill pill.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

what is your problem??? you sound like a bored teenager trying to stir things up if you are older than 12 , you should go out and dump your attitude in the bin with the bag of McCains you carry about!!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

I have a friend out there, who I used to work with in England, and as far as I am aware, he was recognised for his qualifications by the TRA, to get his visa, but when he was over there he had to do a few exams, I think there was 2 written exams which were multiple choice, which he said he found quite easy, and one practcal exam, which from his description of it sounded a bit like our AM2, he said he found this quite hard, and it was all day, but he did pass. This all in all took 4 months for him to have his license in his hand.
But has had no trouble finding work since.
I have also read a post on go matilda.com forum, which pretty much said the same thing, it goes in to alot more detail, well worth a look, if u are a fellow electrician, hoping to wark over there.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

What i would really like to know is what about electricians that do not do instalation work, I've been working here in england for 17 years as a maintenance electrician. i would really like to know what my type of work is called over in oz as all the electricians threads in here are to do with instalation sparkies not maint sparks. i don't have any JIB qualifications and have never needed them here in the uk.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pickle
What i would really like to know is what about electricians that do not do instalation work, I've been working here in england for 17 years as a maintenance electrician. i would really like to know what my type of work is called over in oz as all the electricians threads in here are to do with instalation sparkies not maint sparks. i don't have any JIB qualifications and have never needed them here in the uk.
what qualifications do you have if you have'nt got jib ones..??

not sure what title jobs for maintenece sparks would come under maybe industrial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.