Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Post qualification experience

Post qualification experience

Old May 21st 2002, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Harold will become famous soon enoughHarold will become famous soon enough
Default Post qualification experience

I'm just finishing my final exams for a Bsc in Information Technology. I'm desperate to go back to Oz, so would like to put in an application asap.

What I can't tell from the ACS website, is if I require any post qualification work experience before I can apply for ACS assessment.

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Old May 21st 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Post qualification experience

You don't need any experience for an ACS assessment if you have a Group A
qualification. But you would still need 12 months post qualification work experience
in the 18 months before applying to
DIMIA.

Jeremy

>On 21 May 2002 20:20:22 GMT, Harold <[email protected]> wrote: I'm just
    >finishing my final exams for a Bsc in Information Technology. I'm desperate to go
    >back to Oz, so would like to put in an application asap.
    >
    >What I can't tell from the ACS website, is if I require any post qualification work
    >experience before I can apply for ACS assessment.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Harry
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 22nd 2002, 9:22 am
Morgan

Hi,

This worries me a bit. I have a minor degree in Computer Science and to qualify for
an ACS assessment, I need four years work experience, which I now have. If I apply
for a skilled visa with 4 1/2 years work experience, does this mean I will receive 0
points for skill, as these four years are part of my ACS assessment demands?

Brgds

Morgan

[email protected] (JAJ) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You don't need any experience for an ACS assessment if you have a Group A
    > qualification. But you would still need 12 months post qualification work
    > experience in the 18 months before applying to
    > DIMIA.
    >
    > Jeremy

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:58 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Morgan,

From the postings that I've been following, that would seem to be the case, that your 4 years amy be "wiped out" and you may not have enough recent experience to successfully apply for PR.

You will receive the 60 points for skills, though. But you will not be able to proceed as a pre-requisite for applying is to have recent work experience of at least 12 months in any SOL occupation, unless you are a recent Australian post-secondary graduate.

Cheers,
peter

Originally posted by Morgan:

This worries me a bit. I have a minor degree in Computer Science and to qualify for an ACS assessment, I need four years work experience, which I now have. If I apply for a skilled visa with 4 1/2 years work experience, does this mean I will receive 0
points for skill, as these four years are part of my ACS assessment demands?

[/B]
Old May 24th 2002, 12:20 am
Lana

Do you mean that you can only use work experience after the ACS assessment to account
for the 12 months of recent work experience for MODL points? Not for the 3 out of 4
years for Work Experience points, right? Because otherwise the ACS assessment would
expire (it's only valid for 1 year) before you worked for 3 years after the
assessment...

If it's only MODL, this is not a concern for me.

Lana

ptlabs <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Morgan: [/u]
    >
    > [i]This worries me a bit. I have a minor degree in Computer Science and to qualify
    > for an ACS assessment, I need four years work experience, which I now have. If I
    > apply for a skilled visa with 4 1/2 years work experience, does this mean I will
    > receive 0 points for skill, as these four years are part of my ACS assessment
    > demands? wrote:
    > > Originally posted by Morgan: This worries me a bit. I have a minor degree in
    > > Computer Science and to qualify for an ACS assessment, I need four years work
    > > experience, which I now have. If I apply for a skilled visa with 4 1/2 years
    > > work experience, does this mean I will receive 0 points for skill, as these
    > > four years are part of my ACS assessment demands?
    >
    > Hi Morgan,
    >
    > From the postings that I've been following, that would seem to be the case, that
    > your 4 years amy be "wiped out" and you may not have enough recent experience to
    > successfully apply for PR.
    >
    > You will receive the 60 points for skills, though. But you will not be able to
    > proceed as a pre-requisite for applying is to have recent work experience of at
    > least 12 months in any SOL occupation, unless you are a recent Australian
    > post-secondary graduate.
    >
    > Cheers, peter
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > kands
    >
    > Yvonne
    >
    > Yvonne
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > jamie sim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 24th 2002, 3:35 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Lana,

I don't know the exact circumstances of your case.

What I was referring to was the case when a person has a minor in IT, the 4 years of work experience will be used up to "upgrade" the IT minor into a Group A suitable qualification. Therefore, the same 4 years will not be able to be used to account for either recent work experience (12 of the last 18 months needed) nor the bonus points for work experience (3 of the last 4 years to get 5 points).

If you have a IT major and were assessed to be in Group A by ACS, you needn't worry about having your previous work experience "reset" by ACS.

I don't think having the 12 months calculated for MODL will exclude them from being used again to chalk up the necessary 3 years for the 5 bonus points, and neither should it exclude them from being used to prove recent work experience of 12 months in the last 18.
Old May 24th 2002, 4:20 pm
Lana

Thanks!

We went the RPL route (Group B). We are not part of the MODL, but we need the 10
points for work experience (his occupation is a 60-point one), and we are gonna use
the same letters of reference we sent to the ACS to prove the 3 out of 4 years
experience in the same occupation. I hope that's ok.

Lana

> Lana,
    >
    > I don't know the exact circumstances of your case.
    >
    > What I was referring to was the case when a person has a minor in IT, the 4 years
    > of work experience will be used up to "upgrade" the IT minor into a Group A
    > suitable qualification. Therefore, the same 4 years will not be able to be used to
    > account for either recent work experience (12 of the last 18 months needed) nor the
    > bonus points for work experience (3 of the last 4 years to get 5 points).
    >
    > If you have a IT major and were assessed to be in Group A by ACS, you needn't worry
    > about having your previous work experience "reset" by ACS.
    >
    > I don't think having the 12 months calculated for MODL will exclude them from being
    > used again to chalk up the necessary 3 years for the 5 bonus points, and neither
    > should it exclude them from being used to prove recent work experience of 12 months
    > in the last 18.

Old May 25th 2002, 10:07 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

I hope ACS did not put a "deeming date" on your assessment. If they did, you won't be able to use the experience before the deeming date to get the work experience points.

Take a look at http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm

We went the RPL route (Group B). We are not part of the MODL, but we need the 10
points for work experience (his occupation is a 60-point one), and we are gonna use
the same letters of reference we sent to the ACS to prove the 3 out of 4 years
experience in the same occupation. I hope that's ok.
Old May 26th 2002, 2:20 am
Lana

Ptlabs,

Thanks again for the help, it was invaluable! If we had submitted without this info,
our visa would probably have been refused.

The ACS did put a deeming date on our letter, but lucky for us, it's
06/99! So if I prove he worked full time in the same occupation from
7/99 to 06/02 (in a few days when it is June of course), he meets the 3 years
requirement, doesn't he? That is fantastic for us cause it saves us from having to
get a skills assessment for myself for spousal points and a NAATI test for him for
language points, and it means we can still submit in the beginning of June as we
had planned.

Thanks so much, I hadn't heard about the deeming date. I can see why people use
agents now - I've been researching these things for over a year and I still don't
know all I need to know...

Lana

> wrote:
    > > We went the RPL route (Group B). We are not part of the MODL, but we need the
    > > 10 points for work experience (his occupation is a 60-point one), and we are
    > > gonna use the same letters of reference we sent to the ACS to prove the 3 out
    > > of 4 years experience in the same occupation. I hope that's ok.
    >
    > I hope ACS did not put a "deeming date" on your assessment. If they did, you
    > won't be able to use the experience before the deeming date to get the work
    > experience points.
    >
    > Take a look at http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm

Old May 26th 2002, 3:15 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Lana,

I'm glad to know your deeming date does not affect your application badly.

Just for the record, I am not a migration agent. A lot of the knowledge on migration to Australia (and Canada for that matter) can be gained by reading and understanding the resources that are on the web, mostly without having to pay much more than just for Internet access.

Before you apply, just take some time to read Jeremy's site at http://australianz.topcities.com/permanent.htm

He's done a great job of collecting all the information he knows and putting it up on his site. Some of the stuff there very important for anyone wishing to migrate to understand.

It is my personal belief that one can get by Australia's PR application without having to use a migration agent. But of course, using professional help has its advantages :-)

Cheers,
Peter
Old May 26th 2002, 6:20 pm
Lana

Thanks again. I'll check that site out.

Yes, I think you can do it without an agent. But when I think of the amount of time
I've put on this, I see that it would have been impossible if we had both been
working full time (I work in my home office, so I can spend all my free time reading
about immigration). You have so much to research: about the skills assessment, then
when you master that you need to learn about the visa itself, then you start worrying
about which city to settle at, plane tickets, take stuff or buy new, qualifications
you'll need to find a job (which are wildly different from the ones you need for the
skills assessment, ha ha)... It's really overwhelming.

Lana

> Lana,
    >
    > I'm glad to know your deeming date does not affect your application badly.
    >
    > Just for the record, I am not a migration agent. A lot of the knowledge on
    > migration to Australia (and Canada for that matter) can be gained by reading and
    > understanding the resources that are on the web, mostly without having to pay much
    > more than just for Internet access.
    >
    > Before you apply, just take some time to read Jeremy's site at
    > http://australianz.topcities.com/permanent.htm
    >
    > He's done a great job of collecting all the information he knows and putting it up
    > on his site. Some of the stuff there very important for anyone wishing to migrate
    > to understand.
    >
    > It is my personal belief that one can get by Australia's PR application without
    > having to use a migration agent. But of course, using professional help has its
    > advantages
    >
    > Cheers, Peter

Old May 27th 2002, 2:37 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Hi Lana,

I worry about things one step at a time.

I haven't put in my application yet, but will do so soon. I've been a migrant since 1994, so I've learnt that you cannot overplan (but neither can you underplan!)

Remember that you do not need to permanently migrate to Australia immediately after your visa is granted. You could, if you have enough money for air tickets, go to Australia to check things out 1st, before making your final plans to settle down there.

We can't change the process of PR application. What we can ensure is that we don't lose our head as the process takes its toll on our sanity. I certainly hope I won't lose too much sleep over it when I jump into the fray!

cheers,
peter
Old May 27th 2002, 3:20 pm
Lana

Thanks, Peter.

I am overplanner by nature. My husband is not the least bit concerned about the
immigration...

We are going once and for all because we aren't telling anybody (no, we are not
criminals, just not fond of our families, ha ha). We are telling everyone we are
going to my mother's for a few months. She is the only one who knows we are going to
Australia.

Lana

> Hi Lana,
    >
    > I worry about things one step at a time.
    >
    > I haven't put in my application yet, but will do so soon. I've been a migrant since
    > 1994, so I've learnt that you cannot overplan (but neither can you underplan!)
    >
    > Remember that you do not need to permanently migrate to Australia immediately
    > after your visa is granted. You could, if you have enough money for air tickets,
    > go to Australia to check things out 1st, before making your final plans to settle
    > down there.
    >
    > We can't change the process of PR application. What we can ensure is that we don't
    > lose our head as the process takes its toll on our sanity. I certainly hope I won't
    > lose too much sleep over it when I jump into the fray!
    >
    > cheers, peter

Old May 28th 2002, 7:20 pm
Rem Yavor Ove

Hey Jeremy, I thought the 12 months don't have to be post-qualification work
experience, just any experience on the SOL. Or I'm wrong?

> You don't need any experience for an ACS assessment if you have a Group A
    > qualification. But you would still need 12 months post qualification work
    > experience in the 18 months before applying to
    > DIMIA.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > >On 21 May 2002 20:20:22 GMT, Harold <[email protected]> wrote: I'm just
    > >finishing my final exams for a Bsc in Information Technology. I'm desperate to go
    > >back to Oz, so would like to put in an application asap.
    > >
    > >What I can't tell from the ACS website, is if I require any post qualification
    > >work experience before I can apply for ACS assessment.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > >Harry
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 29th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jaj

The experience can be in any occupation on the SOL,in terms of the basic
requirements. But experience obtained pre-qualification is unlikely to meet the
definition of 'skilled'

Jeremy

>On Tue, 28 May 2002 13:14:18 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>Hey Jeremy, I thought the 12 months don't have to be post-qualification work
    >experience, just any experience on the SOL. Or I'm wrong?
    >
    >> You don't need any experience for an ACS assessment if you have a Group A
    >> qualification. But you would still need 12 months post qualification work
    >> experience in the 18 months before applying to
    >> DIMIA.
    >>
    >> Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.