post????

Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:38 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default post????

I'm sure theres a logical reason for this but we cant think of it....

Today I posted a card containing about 10 photographs to the uk for $1. At the same time I posted a letter on 1 sheet of superlight airmail paper in an airmail envelope (much lighter than the card) and it was $1.65?
Just wondered why...and yes am a bit bored tonight!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:42 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: post????

Originally posted by mcmercer
I'm sure theres a logical reason for this but we cant think of it....

Today I posted a card containing about 10 photographs to the uk for $1. At the same time I posted a letter on 1 sheet of superlight airmail paper in an airmail envelope (much lighter than the card) and it was $1.65?
Just wondered why...and yes am a bit bored tonight!
There's some kind of special agreement for cards. Must be because so many people here have relatives elsewhere to send them to.

Also, you have to use international stamps because they're not subject to GST. If you use domestic ones then you have to add an extra 10% of stamps.

I must be even more bored than you!

Jane
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:42 am
DarrenD

Dont know Oz, but in UK, have different rates for different types of stuff. 'Printed matter' is usually the cheapest (i.e. no letters, originally designed for news, but also includes things like application forms, newsletters, etc., and surprise, surprise, letter rate is the most expensive. 'Small packet' is usually somewhere in the middle. This technically only allows a 'contents n ote', but i guess define what a contents note is !!

Someone in Oz may be able to give a better AU insight.

Nit a great surprise though, and slightly cheaper than UK -> AU.

Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by JaneandJim
There's some kind of special agreement for cards. Must be because so many people here have relatives elsewhere to send them to.

Also, you have to use international stamps because they're not subject to GST. If you use domestic ones then you have to add an extra 10% of stamps.

I must be even more bored than you!

Jane

This may be another silly question Jane but how do I know if my stamps are international??? cant see anything written on the ones I've got, does that mean they're not?
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by DarrenD
Dont know Oz, but in UK, have different rates for different types of stuff. 'Printed matter' is usually the cheapest (i.e. no letters, originally designed for news, but also includes things like application forms, newsletters, etc., and surprise, surprise, letter rate is the most expensive. 'Small packet' is usually somewhere in the middle. This technically only allows a 'contents n ote', but i guess define what a contents note is !!

Someone in Oz may be able to give a better AU insight.

Nit a great surprise though, and slightly cheaper than UK -> AU.
Thanks, had no idea this is how it worked, just assumed it went on weight. So theres little point in buying ugly airmail paper, I can use pretty stationary and a letters a letter?
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:53 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
This may be another silly question Jane but how do I know if my stamps are international??? cant see anything written on the ones I've got, does that mean they're not?
Probably! I don't know, just going off what the post master told me. I was going to buy some 15c stamps as the cost is usually $1.65 and I'd already bought lots of 50c ones, but he told me that wouldn't work because of the GST.

Over to somebody else on this one....

Jane
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:05 am
DarrenD

http://www.auspost.com.au have a good web site. It includes a postage calculator which says what counts as a card, max weights and total it will cost depending on whether its a card, letter or parcel.

Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:11 am
ABCDiamond

These are the correct postage rates:

POSTCARDS/GREETING CARDS
Air Mail $1.00
(No larger than 240mm x 130mm, no thicker than 5mm and up to 20g)

LETTERS
Up to 50g Air Mail $1.65
Over 50g up to 125g Air Mail $3.30
Over 125g up to 250g Air Mail $4.95
Over 250g up to 500g Air Mail $9.90
Anything larger than 260mm x 360mm, thicker than 20mm or heavier than 500g is considered a parcel)

Aust Post International

Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Thanks Darren and ABC, just had a look, weight matters too then, will continue to take things to the post office for the time being then until I get to grips with it all, am sending something or other every day at the moment so was hoping to save a couple of trips!