Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possitive News Please

Possitive News Please

Old Aug 11th 2002, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Smile Possitive News Please

I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear from people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best thing they`ve done.
As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on your return it really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I hope you are sure of what you really want.
As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve spent 40 years like I have in Britain you might change your views.
I`m looking to emigrate to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but not from Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 2:26 am
Spinach88

Default Re: Possitive News Please

Well, i think Melbourne is a fantastic place to live, that's why we are heading there
also. The climate is good (at least, it's a whole lot better than the UK), the public
transport is amazing (they have some), the surrounding countryside is beautiful and
the nightlife is kicking, best music scene in oz. Much prefer it to Sydney as
somewhere to live, tho of course Sydney is more pretty. Too busy for me tho, I may as
well stay living in Europe!

spinach/

"Marlo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear from
    > people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best thing
    > they`ve done. As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on your return
    > it really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I hope you
    > are sure of what you really want. As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve spent 40
    > years like I have in Britain you might change your views. I`m looking to emigrate
    > to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but not from
    > Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:39 am
Alvin

I am actually from Hong Kong and living in teh US ofr 6 years. I 've just been to
Melbourne for 7 months. Well, honestly, I don't like this place at all, or the
overall Australia. I am working in the IT industry, and the technology, or even the
telecom infrastructure here is so junk. I've never visited Britain, so i cannot
compare the life here with there. But i will try to do a little comparison with my
life in the US:

1) Overall, my feeling is that people are not as nice as American and Asian too

2) OZs are too laid-back which, well, may not be good for the economy.

3) Technology is poor and education is not in high-standard (which may not for
your kids)

4) The standards are low which means people are quite "let things be". They do not
want to improve the way they work. I had a nightmare when i first came here, in
the school, in the banks, etc.

Believe it or not, that is my worst decision i have even made in my life so far to
come here. I don't hate australia, but i just don't like it.

Hope someone else can share some experience with me as well.

"spinach88" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, i think Melbourne is a fantastic place to live, that's why we are heading
    > there also. The climate is good (at least, it's a whole lot better than the UK),
    > the public transport is amazing (they have some), the surrounding countryside is
    > beautiful and the nightlife is kicking, best music scene in oz. Much prefer it to
    > Sydney as somewhere to live, tho of course Sydney is more pretty. Too busy for me
    > tho, I may as well stay
living
    > in Europe!
    > spinach/
    > "Marlo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear
    > > from people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best thing
    > > they`ve done. As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on your
    > > return it really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I
    > > hope you are sure of what you really want. As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve
    > > spent 40 years like I have in Britain you might change your views. I`m looking to
    > > emigrate to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but
    > > not from Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:56 am
Johnny Boy

Interesting post Alvin....

Actually a lot of people might regard the points you mention as plusses! Most coming
to Australia do so for the relaxed laid back lifestyle of the place.

Sure if you're concerned about technology or economy - and while Australia maybe not
as advanced as the US in this regard, is still okay - go and live in a country where
people still believe in working themselves into an early grave. I mean, do you work
to live? Or do you live to work?

A day at the beach, or the footy with the family, a round of golf, a surf, a ski, -
these things are far more accessible to many more Australians (and NZers) than
people of a similar socio-economic standing in many other places of the world -
including the US.

Just my 0.02, John

Alvin, the point I guess I'm trying to make is, do you "Alvin"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am actually from Hong Kong and living in teh US ofr 6 years. I 've just been to
    > Melbourne for 7 months. Well, honestly, I don't like this place
at
    > all, or the overall Australia. I am working in the IT industry, and the
    > technology, or even the telecom infrastructure here is so junk. I've
never
    > visited Britain, so i cannot compare the life here with there. But i will try to
    > do a little comparison with my life in the US:
    > 1) Overall, my feeling is that people are not as nice as American and
Asian
    > too
    > 2) OZs are too laid-back which, well, may not be good for the economy.
    > 3) Technology is poor and education is not in high-standard (which may not for your
    > kids)
    > 4) The standards are low which means people are quite "let things be".
They
    > do not want to improve the way they work. I had a nightmare when i first came
    > here, in the school, in the banks, etc.
    > Believe it or not, that is my worst decision i have even made in my life
so
    > far to come here. I don't hate australia, but i just don't like it.
    > Hope someone else can share some experience with me as well.
    > "spinach88" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, i think Melbourne is a fantastic place to live, that's why we are heading
    > > there also. The climate is good (at least, it's a whole lot
better
    > > than the UK), the public transport is amazing (they have some), the surrounding
    > > countryside is beautiful and the nightlife is kicking, best music scene in oz.
    > > Much prefer it to Sydney as somewhere to live, tho of course Sydney is more
    > > pretty. Too busy for me tho, I may as well stay
    > living
    > > in Europe!
    > >
    > > spinach/
    > >
    > >
    > > "Marlo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear
    > > > from people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best
    > > > thing they`ve done. As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on
    > > > your return
it
    > > > really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I hope you
    > > > are sure of what you really want. As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve spent 40
    > > > years like I have in Britain you might change your views. I`m looking to
    > > > emigrate to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad
    > > > but not from Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > > >
    > >
    > >

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:16 am
Rob

In <[email protected]> Johnny Boy wrote:
    > Interesting post Alvin....
    > Actually a lot of people might regard the points you mention as plusses! Most
    > coming to Australia do so for the relaxed laid back lifestyle of the place.

Indeed. I want a quiet life of peace and relaxation.

Now if only my application could be fast-tracked on the basis that I've no intention
of living within 100kms of any city.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:24 am
Tobyabe

Hi Marlo,

I moved from the UK to Perth just over 18 months ago and I would never go back
to the UK.

I had a good job in the UK with security etc etc ... but life, people in general were
always despondent about something. Moving to Oz was a breath of fresh air. Yes you
have to get used to some things, like monthly bank charges for simply having an
account with the bank but there are far more positives than negatives.

If there was one thing that I miss about the UK, it would be the cold crisp weather
at Christmas, instead of stinking hot weather on Christmas day. I guess that is
something I will get used to though.

Good Luck

--
K.Yeates

[email protected] "Marlo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
m
    > I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear from
    > people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best thing
    > they`ve done. As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on your return
    > it really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I hope you
    > are sure of what you really want. As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve spent 40
    > years like I have in Britain you might change your views. I`m looking to emigrate
    > to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but not from
    > Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 12th 2002, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Marlo:

I`m looking to emigrate to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but not from Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
Hey, if I HAD to live in Oz again Melbourne is the only place I would consider.

But you don't want to hear about 25 yrs of living in Melb if it's from me.....

Last edited by Devlin; Aug 12th 2002 at 12:14 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Re: Possitive News Please

Originally posted by Devlin:

Hey, if I HAD to live in Oz again Melbourne is the only place I would consider.

But you don't want to hear about 25 yrs of living in Melb if it's from me.....
Thanks Devlin for your reply, wasn`t that nicer, you were more positive this time. They say us Brits are Whinging Poms!! Can you tell me 5 good things in the UK you prefer to Australia? Having the chose like you to go back and forth must be great because you don`t have to be anywhere you don`t want to be, also if you are wealthy in the UK you will have a different outlook to those who are just Mr & Mrs Average.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tobyabe
That`s more like it, that`s what I want to hear more of, I know so many people who have been to Australia and they have said the same as you, that`s why I find it hard to grasp when people are being so negative, they must have very high expectations - maybe. The UK I feel has nothing to offer anymore and the future looks very bleak here, I feel Oz can`t be any worse. Thanks again for your reply.
Marlo
Old Aug 12th 2002, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Re: Re: Possitive News Please

Originally posted by Marlo:

Can you tell me 5 good things in the UK you prefer to Australia?
1) The people
2) Career Opps
3) Travel opps
4) Pubs
5) Theatres

I don't think I'm whinging, after 25 yrs in Oz I call it as I see it. For those of you who's life goal is a detached house on a 1/4 acre block and a pool, then Australia is the place to be...It just ain't my cup of tea any more.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Possitive News Please

Originally posted by Devlin:

1) The people
2) Career Opps
3) Travel opps
4) Pubs
5) Theatres

I don't think I'm whinging, after 25 yrs in Oz I call it as I see it. For those of you who's life goal is a detached house on a 1/4 acre block and a pool, then Australia is the place to be...It just ain't my cup of tea any more.
You call it as you see it, that`s what appeals to me about the Australians, fair comment. The first 3 of your 5 best appeals to me about Australia amongst other things, I`m glad you`re happy here but for me I feel for us and our family Oz has a brighter future, the fact that it is so hard to emigrate to Oz is a plus as far as I`m concerned, it`s far too easy for people to get into the UK and then Sponge off of everyone. I hope you stay happy in the UK but at least you do have another option if you don`t. Thanks for your honesty.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:15 pm
Leo

Alvin,

Like others have said here it all depends on what you are looking for.

Just want to let you know that I am from US and have been twice to AU and am trying
pretty hard to move there. I have family members in AU, NZ, Canada and US and can
tell you that quality of life issues for me work best in AU. US is by far the lowest
on the ladder. Money wise US may be the best but money does not equal to life.

In US there is no life, it is just work work work. Did you know that now it is US
and not Japan that has the longest working year of any industrialized country?

../Leo

"Tobyabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Marlo,
    > I moved from the UK to Perth just over 18 months ago and I would never go back
    > to the UK.
    > I had a good job in the UK with security etc etc ... but life, people in general
    > were always despondent about something. Moving to Oz was a breath of fresh air. Yes
    > you have to get used to some things, like monthly bank charges for simply having an
    > account with the bank but there are far more positives than negatives.
    > If there was one thing that I miss about the UK, it would be the cold crisp weather
    > at Christmas, instead of stinking hot weather on Christmas day. I guess that is
    > something I will get used to though.
    > Good Luck
    > --
    > K.Yeates
    > [email protected] "Marlo" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url="ne-[/q1]
[q1]> ws:[email protected]"]news:[email protected][-

> /url]...
    > >
    > > I have read too much of what Dotty & Devlin have to say and would love to hear
    > > from people who have moved to Oz and love the place and think it`s the best thing
    > > they`ve done. As for Dotty you will see a big change in this country on your
    > > return it really has declined rapidly in the past 10 years, good luck to you, I
    > > hope you are sure of what you really want. As for Devlin, perhaps when you`ve
    > > spent 40 years like I have in Britain you might change your views. I`m looking to
    > > emigrate to Melbourne and would like to know more about the place good or bad but
    > > not from Dotty or Devlin, Cheers.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:36 pm
Tony Bryer

In article <[email protected]>, Devlin wrote:
    > > Can you tell me 5 good things in the UK you prefer to Australia?
    > 1) The people
    > 2) Career Opps
    > 3) Travel opps
    > 4) Pubs
    > 5) Theatres

For me Radio 4 and BBC TV would be on the list - Australian TV IME is just awful,
especially some of the home-made ads. I guess it makes it easier to sell cable?

But I disagree about the people: one of the things I really appreciate is the ready
friendliness and the 'can do' attitude. On my last but one trip to Melbourne I was
talking to a real estate salesman about Grollo's [88-storey residential] Eureka
Tower. His comment was that he didn't think it made any sense, economic or
otherwise, but he admired their spirit in having the vision and bringing it about.
Contrast round here in the UK where every development of any significance just
attracts critics.

Of course this attitude is not universal: when I read about 'Save our Suburbs' I'm
reminded of exactly why I will be glad to exchange suburban London for a CBD
high-rise.
--
Tony Bryer

Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:00 am
Helena

"Alvin" <[email protected]> wrote

> I am actually from Hong Kong
<snip>
    > 2) OZs are too laid-back which, well, may not be good for the economy.

LOL! Sorry, I'm not laughing at you but I can understand your frustration. I used to
live in Vancouver which has a very large HK migrant population and I remember them
making the same complaints about Canadians and especially Vancouverites, who had a
reputation for being quite "laid-back". Many HK'ers are all "go, go, go, make lots
of money, be successful, go, go, go", which is not many other people's priorities, so
it can be quite frustrating trying to swim against the current.

Aussies are more laid-back than Vancouverites, by far, so I can see how we would
drive you crazy. Sorry, but that's the way we are, and as others have said, that's
something they're looking forward to themselves. I lived in Vancouver as it changed
into a more fast-paced, intense place and didn't like it at all. Neither did my
Montreal-born husband, and Montrealers are outright maniacs. So we dropped out,
tuned in, and turned on to Perth, so to speak. Got mellow, slowed down. We were ready
for that. Did the fast-paced, career-focussed, rat-race thing for several years. It
was fun for a while, but then got old and tiring and seemed rather pointless and just
not all that satisfying. Everyone is different.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:39 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Australia or Australians are not laid back ,some are lazy some are plain thick.The avarage employer here has a give me blood and get peanuts in return, unless you get goverment job then over paid under worked .Work in UK more organized and people more trust worthy , this is the land of conmen and near do wells.Most Aussies have knack of turning a home into a tip,for you whites only people get ready for a shock, Indians etc in Uk are far better people than some of far Eastern scum here you will love the Abbos some body must no here does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.