Reload this Page >

possibly relocating to perth- advice needed

possibly relocating to perth- advice needed

Old May 16th 2012, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default possibly relocating to perth- advice needed

Hello Guys,

This is my first post on this forum as I am now looking to relocate to australia. I have been looking about for jobs where the employer will sponsor me on a 457 visa.

I now have an interview on friday morning 1am uk time!!! . I have been in touch with the recruiter for a number of weeks now and the lady seems really keen on the skills I have got and my certificates I have scanned to her so far so good.

I already asked from the initial emails about a relocation package and what she has told me initially is they will provide a 457 visa and temporary accomodation on arrival in perth but stopped short of flights due to previous and future employees not being offered that perk. I have not discussed salary with her and I wont until it gets mentioned as I may not even be offered the job. The salary range for the position I am talking about is from $100k-$150k.

Any advice on how much salary would I need to have a comfortable life with the house/apartment and car etc and would my girlfriend who is coming along would be covered on my visa. She will be applying for jobs once we get there.

Also should I reach negotiation stage do you have any tips on how to go about this and what I should ask for that isn't out of the question.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possibly relocating to perth- advice needed

Originally Posted by paddym
Hello Guys,

This is my first post on this forum as I am now looking to relocate to australia. I have been looking about for jobs where the employer will sponsor me on a 457 visa.

I now have an interview on friday morning 1am uk time!!! . I have been in touch with the recruiter for a number of weeks now and the lady seems really keen on the skills I have got and my certificates I have scanned to her so far so good.

I already asked from the initial emails about a relocation package and what she has told me initially is they will provide a 457 visa and temporary accomodation on arrival in perth but stopped short of flights due to previous and future employees not being offered that perk. I have not discussed salary with her and I wont until it gets mentioned as I may not even be offered the job. The salary range for the position I am talking about is from $100k-$150k.

Any advice on how much salary would I need to have a comfortable life with the house/apartment and car etc and would my girlfriend who is coming along would be covered on my visa. She will be applying for jobs once we get there.

Also should I reach negotiation stage do you have any tips on how to go about this and what I should ask for that isn't out of the question.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, welcome to BE Can't help you much on the Perth stuff, but when it comes to your girlfriend accompanying you - are you actually living together? If you are coming on a 457 you will need 6 months at least cohabiting in order for her to come on your visa
Old May 16th 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi, welcome to BE Can't help you much on the Perth stuff, but when it comes to your girlfriend accompanying you - are you actually living together? If you are coming on a 457 you will need 6 months at least cohabiting in order for her to come on your visa
Hi Thank you,

I am coming on a 457 visa if I get the job but I haven't been living with my girlfriend. Is there any way around this? I have been with her for over 1 year.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Hi Thank you,

I am coming on a 457 visa if I get the job but I haven't been living with my girlfriend. Is there any way around this? I have been with her for over 1 year.
No, unfortunately even married couples have to prove they have been living together on occasion.

The only way that I can think of (although theres far more knowledgeable people here tbh) is for your g/f to get to Aus on her own merit....
Old May 16th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Thank you,

How old is she? Maybe she could come on a working holiday visa, that could give her up to 2 years I think.
Old May 17th 2012, 3:00 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

On the cash front Perth isnt cheap anymore. Rents are hard to get and high unless you live far out. Allow at least $450 per week for a 3 bed house about 10-15km away. Apartments in town cost about the same for 2 bed.
Car costs are ok but dont expect to park in town unless they provide parking. I assume they will work you out of Perth CBD?

100k is tight nowadays - 150k much better to have a decent living. Remember LAHA perks are disappearing too.

The cost of getting here isnt the flights per say - usually is moving your stuff is the bit that is the costly one! So move as little as you possibly can.

Check that the quoted salary is the package or just the salary.... sometimes they say its the package and that includes 9% taken off it to pay super/pension, and some other bits - so ask what the salary is without benefits then add them on.

For 100k (assuming its salary is just that) take tax and medicare off and you are left with about 73k over 12 months - thats about 6k in your pocket - munus rent 4k to live on for everything else, or about $1000 a week for all your bills, food, car, petrol, transport, entertainment etc etc. People live on a lot less, you may have $3-500 a week to play with.