Reload this Page >

Possibly relocating to Karratha, WA

Possibly relocating to Karratha, WA

Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:24 am
Just Joined

m.a.wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Possibly relocating to Karratha, WA

Hi there,

I'm not a brit, I'm an aussie and live in Perth, but this seems like the best forum to get advice and comments on relocating, which we do a lot of.

We might be moving to Karratha and I just want to know as much about it as possible.

I'm a very open minded person when it comes to moving around and love the desert (although I haven't experience humid heat before). I don't mind isolation as long as I have a good couple of friends and my kids have someone to play with.

Living expenses aren't a problem because my husbands company will be paying for pretty much all expenses.

I guess my main concern is schooling for my kids who are 5.5 and 4 years old, and extra curricular activities. The school that my son currently attends is brilliant and their expectations for academic achievement are high which means they push the kids to achieve the best that they can. What is the best school in Karratha?

I'm also pregnant with my third child so any info about the hospitals would be much appreciated.

Also, what are the people like generally. We will probably be up there for about 2 years and I like to socialize, grab a coffee with friends, let the kids hang out and get out doors a lot.

Is it easy making friends?

Any comments would be great.

Cheers,

M
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly relocating to Karratha, WA

Originally Posted by m.a.wilson
Hi there,

I'm not a brit, I'm an aussie and live in Perth, but this seems like the best forum to get advice and comments on relocating, which we do a lot of.

We might be moving to Karratha and I just want to know as much about it as possible.

I'm a very open minded person when it comes to moving around and love the desert (although I haven't experience humid heat before). I don't mind isolation as long as I have a good couple of friends and my kids have someone to play with.

Living expenses aren't a problem because my husbands company will be paying for pretty much all expenses.

I guess my main concern is schooling for my kids who are 5.5 and 4 years old, and extra curricular activities. The school that my son currently attends is brilliant and their expectations for academic achievement are high which means they push the kids to achieve the best that they can. What is the best school in Karratha?

I'm also pregnant with my third child so any info about the hospitals would be much appreciated.

Also, what are the people like generally. We will probably be up there for about 2 years and I like to socialize, grab a coffee with friends, let the kids hang out and get out doors a lot.

Cheers,

M
There are lots of threads on K. If you look to the top of the page there is a search function and loads should come up. People are quite honest in opinions so expect good and bad, however should be very helpful.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We have been sounded out about a move there with Woodside, I currently work for a vendor who supply services to Wooside although I work on a different contract. They are keen to progress with a visit to K, is there anyone on here who is currently up in K living the dream?

I have looked at some old posts via the search function and it does seem rough and ready in many respects.

What is the typical package in terms of housing/flights/schooling/cars/money when someone agrees to go up there residential.

Is there a healthy social scene for young families who like a barbie and a drink or 2?

Am mad to even consider leaving our stunning beachside idly in Torquay Vic to chase a few dollars and some adventure?

Answers on a postcard
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding education, I live north of Perth.
The fee paying school (Catholic, Grammar) tend to have huge weighting lists.
The state high schools not so good reputations.

Basically any decent Primary and Secondary school may be full and very difficult to get a place.

If you have children and education is important. Id seriously ring all schools to enquire about places before any move.

This will be for most towns north of Perth. The further north you go the worse the situation will be.

Gems
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:57 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Cheers,

M
" Whats the best school in Karrartha"
IS there more then one school"
What are the hospitals like?
Is there a hospital?
Wheres the best place to hang out for coffe with friends?
l think only beer in on the menu

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 9th 2010 at 1:01 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Is there a hospital?
Have you ever been to Karratha? Of course there are schools there. Yes, there is a hospital there. Yes, there are coffee shops there.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have you ever been to Karratha? Of course there are schools there. Yes, there is a hospital there. Yes, there are coffee shops there.
Not sure if the 'coffee shop' in the hospital qualifies as a bona fide 'coffee shop' per se . . . ?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:28 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
l bet it does'nt have a university.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

l bet it does'nt have a university.
So what? Not every city/town has a university. What exactly is your point?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:50 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Not sure if the 'coffee shop' in the hospital qualifies as a bona fide 'coffee shop' per se . . . ?
Sounds like a good business opportunity, then. I'm off to coffee college!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Hi,

We have been sounded out about a move there with Woodside, I currently work for a vendor who supply services to Wooside although I work on a different contract. They are keen to progress with a visit to K, is there anyone on here who is currently up in K living the dream?

I have looked at some old posts via the search function and it does seem rough and ready in many respects.

What is the typical package in terms of housing/flights/schooling/cars/money when someone agrees to go up there residential.

Is there a healthy social scene for young families who like a barbie and a drink or 2?

Am mad to even consider leaving our stunning beachside idly in Torquay Vic to chase a few dollars and some adventure?

Answers on a postcard
Hi I have just moved over to Tasmania from Karratha, my OH has lived and worked there for 25 yrs, myself 5 yrs. We loved it and still maintain a home there. Our young lad works for Woodside.

Rough and Ready?? depends what you are talking about really, Karratha is rural.
The Pilbara offers its own beauty, you cannot compare it to Victoria in any sense.
Adeventure: sure! some wonderful places to visit i.e. Broome, the National parks, the list is endless.
Healthy Outdoor Scene, BBQ's yes... too much grog! It is a very friendly place.
My husband works for one of the large mining companies, so of course we brought property there when it was much cheaper, he had the right to buy and then we purchased another for kids etc. Your typical house is around $750,000 upwards and rents are very steep $1,200 +. Flights can be expensive approx $350+ one way dependent on airline, times etc etc.

Living the dream: well I guess I did live the dream and I would most certainly live there again. It is exceptionally hot so I lived the dream under the A/C
An extremely good hospital with PATS facilities should you need to be flown down to Perth.
A mixed variety of schools (state and Catholic) . Our children attended a state school and became Drs/Chemical Engineers so cant be bad.

If I can help further please feel free to do so.

Best wishes

Susie
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Hi there,

Cheers,

M
Hi there, I have written a piece on Karratha... hopefully that will give you some idea.
Yes it is easy to make friends albeit people and very transient but thats par for the course being a mining town.
Bear in mind Karratha is exceptionally hot, so your children will of course have outdoor activities but keeping in mind the strength of the sun. My step children were born in Karratha and have had a wonderful safe environment to grow up within.
There is one hospital, a wonderful maternity ward, great local GPs . It is an exceptionally friendly hospital with professional and caring staff.
Any complications you would be generally flown down to Perth.
There are several excellent Catholic schools in Karratha and a variety of good state schools...
Most residential packages are good, generally they come with a huge subsidy for electricity, water etc and rent allowances.
As I said my husband has worked there for 25 years and loved every minute... myself 5 years and I would go back without hesitation.

Cyclone season does exist, but I have experienced a few... very stringent precautions are taken and I personally wouldnt worry about those.... it basically hinders flights in and out, everything comes to a stand still on red alert.

If I can help further please dont hesitate to contact me Susie
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:45 am
Just Joined

m.a.wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Susie, your comment was very positive and helpful! I'm actually really looking forward to it. I LOVE hot weather and are originally from a country town so I think I'll appreciate what it has to offer. Thanks :
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Susie, your comment was very positive and helpful! I'm actually really looking forward to it. I LOVE hot weather and are originally from a country town so I think I'll appreciate what it has to offer. Thanks :
You are very welcome. Karratha was my first home here in Australia, its a dramtic scenery, salt, red earth and aquamarine seas. The fishing is amazing, now that I do miss over here in Tasmania.
The camping is amazing out in the bush, 40 mile beach etc. Maree Pool.
The shopping centre has grown, and is more than adequate, yes prices are higher but the benefits outweigh! The swimming pool/ gym/golf facilities are good as well as the usual footie, soccer, basket ball etc.

Despite being exceptionally happy here in Tasmania a little bit of my heart remains over there and I would recommend it to any family.

Enjoy and very best wishes for your pregnancy as well.

Best wishes Susie x
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a hospital?
Karratha High is the worst school, in the process of making sure my eldest doesn't go there as not heard one good report, lots of issues. Catholic school is a better option, but is competition to get into it. Neither are great places to send your kids if you wish them to go to Uni. Schools are more toward getting kids into apprenticeships.
Yes are hospitals, they're fairly modern, but if you have any major issues it's off to hedland (2/3 hours away) or down to Perth.
Coffee, no idea is a place in the main shopping complex?
If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message, as we're not far from Karratha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.