Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:21 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

I realise that unless you live here you can't really fully understand but I am amazed by how many people believe they really are leaving all the bad stuff behind and it's all sunshine and roses here. I'm not referring to the OP but generally.

Originally Posted by HelenTD
The things that you don't like about the UK are present here. Interest rates in Australia are usually much higher than the UK and there are quite a few threads on BE about the high property prices. I cannot see how Australia would tick more boxes for you than the UK, and possibly less than the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I realise that unless you live here you can't really fully understand but I am amazed by how many people believe they really are leaving all the bad stuff behind and it's all sunshine and roses here. I'm not referring to the OP but generally.
As some BE members put it...same sh*t...different bucket.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly but it seems that too many think it is in a gold bucket here.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As some BE members put it...same sh*t...different bucket.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly but it seems that too many think it is in a gold bucket here.
Same for many who want to move to the US. They go to Florida to visit Disney for 2 weeks and fall in love with the place.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What I didn't understand when we visited this summer was how people would complain about England as if everything was free for us here. Just one example, my nephew was complaing about the price of driving lessons, and told me "they are free in America, you get them in school."
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

Ah yes, good old 'Rip off Britain'. You gotta love the Daily Mail.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What I didn't understand when we visited this summer was how people would complain about England as if everything was free for us here. Just one example, my nephew was complaing about the price of driving lessons, and told me "they are free in America, you get them in school."
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:48 pm
Banned

The one I love is 'you could never do that in the UK', wow, that is amazing because we used to do it all the time.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
I was being (or rather, trying to be) ironic - I thought Obama was championing the cause for a national health system like ours? (I've watched a bit of Fox news and everyone seems to hate the guy!).

For what it's worth, I think you got a particuarly bad response to your from the heart questions. Everyone can be a tad naive at times... especially if they are chasing a desired outcome.

Thing is most posters on here have seen these opinions and questions time and time again.

Hope you come to an informed decision soon... and then move here

One things for sure, Aussies definitely seem to have a more positive attitude to most things in life...I reckon that alone is worth moving for.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 4th 2011 at 10:38 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:53 pm
Banned

I cant say I would move half way around the world because more people in that country are positive. There are just way too many things in life that need to be addressed and I have found if you yourself are positive then it can rub off on those around you.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
For what it's worth, I think you got a particuarly bad response to your from the heart questions. Everyone can be a tad naive at times... especially if they are chasing a desired outcome.

Thing is most posters on here have seen these opinions and questions time and time again.

Hope you come to an informed decision soon... and then move here

One things for sure, Aussies definitely seem to have a more positive attitude to most things in life...I reckon that alone is worth moving for.
I reckon a lot of the 'positivity' in the US is a rather naive gung-ho attitude, you should hear the moaning behind people's backs too.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I'm from the South of the UK, returned home this July (6 weeks brilliant!) and found my home town pretty much unchanged - it was prosperous before I left and is prosperous now. Catching up with friends resulted in two potential good job offers - and that's much closer than I've had since returning to Brisbane. No one that I know in the south of the UK in IT is unemployed, although some have had to switch from lucrative contract work to permanent positions. Now my family are doing well here, and I'm not in a position to move back but I don't get the 'broken Britain' line at all. Brisbane has its opportunities for some, but in my experience quality of life can be just as good in the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:23 am
Banned

Yes, spot on, I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I'm from the South of the UK, returned home this July (6 weeks brilliant!) and found my home town pretty much unchanged - it was prosperous before I left and is prosperous now. Catching up with friends resulted in two potential good job offers - and that's much closer than I've had since returning to Brisbane. No one that I know in the south of the UK in IT is unemployed, although some have had to switch from lucrative contract work to permanent positions. Now my family are doing well here, and I'm not in a position to move back but I don't get the 'broken Britain' line at all. Brisbane has its opportunities for some, but in my experience quality of life can be just as good in the UK.