Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Personally speaking the UK is the arse end of the world
So the world has got an arse in both hemispheres then?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:27 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
So the world has got an arse in both hemispheres then?
Yep if you take me and you as an example mate. That's the beauty.....everyone wants something different and for their own reasons.

That's why there's no right, no wrong. It's everyone's own perspective
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I have never bought into this bizarre 'better for the kids' argument, as with everything it depends where you live. Our kids life here seems no better than the lives of our friends kids in England.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit I have never bought into this bizarre 'better for the kids' argument, as with everything it

depends where you live. Our kids life here seems no better than the lives of our friends kids in England.
Yup, it depends on how you want to raise your kids.

I like the space here, it means our 6 year old has plenty of room to play, there are horses in the yards and the creek and dam are fun

places to wander occasionally (kid supervised, naturally). I'm going to build a raft this summer and try not to drown ...

It's also getting time to put the pool up which is another fun distraction.

We'll get a f'off huge cubby house a some point too, or I'll make one.

If a wander further afield is required then there is a mass of walking tracks just down the road leading to all the wildlife you'd expect to find. Some to be avoided, of course.

I can't imagine getting over 3 acres in the UK for anything close to the money we earn (and be able to commute a reasonable distance) and for this reason alone I would not bring my daughter up there.

Naturally, the semi-rural lifestyle is not for everyone and the gap between the UK and Oz will narrow the closer to suburbia you get.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we have been looking at properties with at least half an acre or preferably a full acre, we don't want more as it would be wasted to be honest. We just want enough to have a few animals and for the boys to play.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
If you don't try, you will always think - What if?
Actually, no, you won't.

I could have migrated many, many years before I actually did. Chose not to....and never gave it another thought. I only moved here in the end when my company offered me a transfer, otherwise I would never have moved.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder what life would be like if I had ten kids. I have no intention of having them though and I certainly won't regret it on my death bed.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I often wonder what life would be like if I had ten kids. I have no intention of having them though and I certainly won't regret it on my death bed.
Would you like four of mine so you'd have at least SOME idea?

i would offer throw in the husband too, but I have washing up that needs doing
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

just like UK there are so many immigrants here too & once you move here you & your family will be one of those immigrants, the surburb near where I live is full of Asians you wouldn't think you are in Australia sometimes, but I like the multiculter feel I get here, just like in UK.
Most Aussie I have met hate the PM & her governments, one my clients just call her that woman is ruining our country.
My point is if you want a move here just go for it but don't try to get out of UK for all the reason you have put down cause you get the same or more of it here & nobody gives damn either if you don't like it.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If that is your reason for emmigrating, then I think you are better off staying put, considering your circumstances. If politics gets to you then it is likely to wherever you live and indeed they seem a particularly odd bunch here (all parties).

Also, guess what, we pay tax in Australia too. I haven't done a proper calc for a while but I might just do that now. Last time I checked for most people it works out pretty much the same (UK vs Australia).

Edit: just used a couple of quick tax calculators and I average 36% in both Australia and UK (on similar salaries). Try these out:

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Thanks, I'll try those. I think Australia's highest tax rate is 37% though, not 50% (or am I thinking of Canada?!).
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...to say nothing of the houses being built on the brown and pleasant land of Aus to house all the new immigrants
Ha ha, touche! (don't have accents on my pc but I'm sure you can figure it out ). Ah, but Australia has so much more land to fill - we're just a wee dot in the ocean!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Two things strike me straight away about your thread. Not meaning to shoot you down or anything. I think you'll find that as a percentage Australia has far more migrants or overseas born people as part of the base population and is having to build really large extended Cities to cope. There is real controversy re the Green belt around Melbourne at present as it is now being acquired for much needed housing... and that was never meant to happen.

Secondly... I think you'll find the income tax rate isn't too different here... certainly not a lot lower. One major difference will be at 111,000 dollars joint income your child benefits cut out for two kids. Which if you think about it, is a hidden form of tax.... Child benefits are not income tested (Currently) in the UK AFAIK... I stand to be corrected on that though. Not sure of the UK tax system after 30 years here. A lot of State Taxes here. That Child benefit cut off point really affects the wife and I and means doing overtime is almost pointless. In fact we would have a much higher per hour take home income if we both worked Part time.

So the two factors you have concentrated on in your post... could actually be worse here.

I'm one of the posters on here that usually praises Aus.

I do believe that Aus has a much brighter future than anywhere in Europe though... So your kids will benefit from a far more positive outlook from the majority of the population. The Aus population as a whole is generally far more upbeat about the future than those in the UK. Having a positive environment as a reason for migrating, is seriously underestimated in my view. In fact a lot of Migrants really hate the "She'll be right mate" Tude... which Aussies see as positive and optomistc, which UK people misconstrue as lackadaisical. Takes years to get over the negative conditioning of the UK apparently.
Thanks for your informative comments - I haven't looked into the tax system in Oz yet (although one of the posters put some links on this evening which I will endeavour to look at in a few minutes). I'm sure most of the things we dislike about the UK are inherent in other countries too, which I guess is why we're reluctant to think too seriously about it just yet, although each time I hear "Europe" on the news I come straight on to British Expats!!

I don't think we'd be affected by the benefits cut as it's unlikely we'd ever earn $111k unless I went back to work, and with 3x childcare to pay for I'm not going to do that unless I come out with some loose change at the end of the month! I think child benefit is for everyone in the UK, but you lose your child tax credits if you earn more than £43k (or something like that).

We lived in Melbourne for a few months back in 2004 and loved it, so it's a shame to think about the land surrounding it being built for houses... I hate that. I wish we could all go back to horses and carts and living off the land (I'm a simple person ) I also imagine you bump into a lot of backpackers around every corner in Oz (we were those people 7 years ago!), which of course isn't a problem unless you live next door to a hostel (having been a BPer I know how they like to party...).
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Hi Anita, The reasons you give for giving another country a go may be the very reason why it could work for you, but a sounds like a lot of thought may be needed before your decision is made.

You are considering going to a foreign country. Australia is not the country for everyone and a lot of the things that niggle you now may be as bad here plus you would be in a country with a different culture and reality may be it is worse for you financially (it certainly costs to relocate) let alone leaving the house that you are so proud of. Australia is also very large with a variety of climates and cultural differences, depending which state you are looking at you could have a beach or country or inner city life but they all will be different from your experience now.

I would not change my Aussie childrens childhood but that doesnt mean everyone thinks the same. They grew up with the beach at their fingertips and they have all become wonderful adults who I am extremely proud of. Mine had to do their travelling when they grew up and then took the opportunity for world travel. They were able to able to go to the UK and access the rest of Europe and the Americas but from here it is always just about a days journey.

I think your children are lucky to have you thinking so hard about their future, and as part of that your whole family has to be happy about the decision. It sounds as if a lot of research is needed about the country you ultimately decide to apply to and whether your needs will be met by leaving your birth country.

A list of pros and cons may help too, you have obviously looked into leaving the UK before but found reasons to stay, and those reasons may still be compelling.

I think if you had an idea about which city or even state we could give you more links, and of course the DIAC website could be a good starting point to see if you are eligible for a visa.

Hope it helps a little
I agree with all your points, and yes I'm looking at a list of PROs and CONS I wrote earlier, as I type this! One of my biggest worries is moving to another country and encountering the same problems there as the ones we left the UK for. My best friend from childhood has lived in Australia for the past 25 years and has recently been thinking about moving back to the UK, so I guess that illustrates your point quite well (although she has, I believe, decided to stay in Oz - I don't blame her: I'd rather be moaning about politics on a beach with a tinny in my hand, lol).
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ExSmoggie
Purely looking at tax rates, the top marginal rate in Australia comes in once you earn $180,000+ and is 46.5% (45% tax plus 1.5% medicare levy - don't forget that bit in your calculations!)

The top UK rate of 50% comes in once you earn over 150,000 pounds any less thank that and it is 40%.

Therefore you would have to be earning over the 150k in the UK before the tax argument for moving becomes effective.

On a similar rate of pay here in Australia, say $210k for example, you would also need to pay private health insurance to cover all your family otherwise you would need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge (an extra 1% of taxable income), In addition as someone else suggested, at that level of income, you would not be entitled to any family assistance.

Also, try googling the 'Flood levy'. This is for the 2012 year only and would not apply to you. However if taxes and politics are key to your decision making it might interest you to have a read.

The above is all financial. From my personal perspective I would say, don't do it! I love Australia but my husband and I are stuck. Here we earn good money and have a lot of the material items that we desire. In the industry we work (mining) there is no comparison in the UK and no way we could have this lifestyle. However, we don't have any family or support here which we would have in the UK which I really miss. To me, you are in the enviable position of currently having both and I don't think that is something to take lightly or to give up easily - just my opinion. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Do they have a 'bush fire' levy, too?! Well I know we'd never be on the top tax rate - maybe $100k would be our maximum? (£60k?). I know Australia was expensive back in 2004 but I've not been since so don't know how groceries, etc. compare. I'll have to go onto Woolworths and do some online shopping

Yes I am in an enviable position and that's why we're umming and ahhing. But I don't want to be selfish and stay in the UK because we're ticking along nicely, if it means I'm depriving my children of the chance of a better life in another country (even if it does mean being worse off). I want them to have the chances I never had. I want them to grow up proud of their country and glad to be living where they are...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Thanks, I'll try those. I think Australia's highest tax rate is 37% though, not 50% (or am I thinking of Canada?!).
I know nothing of the tax system in Oz but I do know that initial figures can be deceiving. One of the countries you mentioned on your list was the US. Income tax may appear to be less there than the US but there are lots of hidden taxes...sales tax (same in Canada only higher there you add 13% onto everything you buy including clothes). Depending where you live property taxes in the US are expensive...we pay around $20K per year...our house in the UK is around $2K per year. Utility bills are high in the US...including cell phone plans. Then there is healthcare...no NHS system here or cheap prescriptions. Medical bills are the no. 1 cause of bankrupcy in the US.

I've lived in the US for over 15 years and visit the UK often...the UK is still a great place to live. The things I miss most about the UK is family, friends, people understanding my sense of humour and the UK way of life...the life I took for granted for so many years.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 2nd 2011 at 8:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.