Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Melbourne! Advice/help please!!

Possible move to Melbourne! Advice/help please!!

Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Claireabelle will become famous soon enoughClaireabelle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Possible move to Melbourne! Advice/help please!!

Thanks for all the advice guys!! We have been advised that we should be there early July and oh my the nerves are kicking in BIG TIME!!! Still undecided on the area so going to go into a hotel and have a few drive arounds, still cannot believe this is happening!!! We have never moved home before let alone half way around the country!!!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm, no fees other than the "voluntary contributions" and other extras.

Suggest you don't quit your UK job, take a career break just in case. Be prepared to find it hard to find work yourself as a temporary visa holder (there are reports on here of dependants who have found it difficult) and you won't be eligible to apply for any government type positions. Also on a temporary visa there will be a load of benefits that you won't be eligible for (eg child care rebate if you need after school care).

Do check how much he will be earning as well - it may sound good especially if he has nothing at the moment but some temp visa holders are being taken for a ride salary wise (the average salary is around $65k) and find that their salaries make it struggle city.

I'd agree with doing the eyeball test - drive around and see what floats your boat when you get there but, like the others have said Deer Park probably won't be ticking too many of your boxes! The schools generally reflect the suburb so find the place you want to live and the schools generally slot into place - they all have catchment areas and are obliged to find places for kids in their areas so school enrolment won't be a problem.

Good luck, sounds like a huge adventure but try not to burn too many bridges in the process!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Claireabelle will become famous soon enoughClaireabelle will become famous soon enough

Thank you Quoll, great advice!! Money wise I think we should be ok the o/h has a decent wage with good benefits and we are looking at this long term and are coming out with a good amount of money behind us if we decide to go for permanent residency we will be able to buy. The company originally wanted to go for that but because they want him there ASAP decided on a 457 and said that they would then pay for a permanent visa if we decide its for us!!

I on the other hand am going to be out of work and am gutted but hopefully with my experience as an adult/child Safeguarding Officer I will get something, well hopefully!! Never knew I would not be able to work for the Local Government which is who I work for at the moment so I am devastated to hear that!!

Thanks for the piece of mind with putting my son into school too had visions he would be out of school for months having read some threads so that has cheered me up!!

I definitely agree with most it is a very expensive place to live but am going to try my utmost not to compare the Aus dollar to the £ will let you know how that goes lol!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claireabelle
Thank you Quoll, great advice!! Money wise I think we should be ok the o/h has a decent wage with good benefits and we are looking at this long term and are coming out with a good amount of money behind us if we decide to go for permanent residency we will be able to buy. The company originally wanted to go for that but because they want him there ASAP decided on a 457 and said that they would then pay for a permanent visa if we decide its for us!!

I on the other hand am going to be out of work and am gutted but hopefully with my experience as an adult/child Safeguarding Officer I will get something, well hopefully!! Never knew I would not be able to work for the Local Government which is who I work for at the moment so I am devastated to hear that!!

Thanks for the piece of mind with putting my son into school too had visions he would be out of school for months having read some threads so that has cheered me up!!

I definitely agree with most it is a very expensive place to live but am going to try my utmost not to compare the Aus dollar to the £ will let you know how that goes lol!
You might want to also take a career break rather than chuck in your job and don't sell your home - keep all your options open!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:48 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claireabelle
Thanks for all your help guys we are now looking at Point Cook/Williamstown which do seem to be quite established areas with what appears to be good schools, parks, shops etc. With the schooling Valespark I was hoping to look into that after we arrived or would you suggest doing this before I left the UK?? I was hoping to take my son along with me so that he could look at a few and make the decision himself if this is at all possible as obviously this is a huge step for him and we want to make him feel like he has some choices in the matter.

Does anyone have advice on school fees and if it is worth looking at them prior to moving?? Any advice would be appreciated!!!
We have also just found out that if our visa is through within the next four weeks then our dog will have to remain in the UK for another month before he is permitted to fly to Australia, we are devasted and as previously metioned this was not planned and we had no idea quarantine was 6 months!!! Not sure my dog would cope without us for that long, he is such a baby!! Has anyone else had to leave their dog for that amount of time???

Thanks again guys for all your help!!!
Claire, as far as I am aware, quarantine is one month, not 6, unless its changed recently.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Claire, as far as I am aware, quarantine is one month, not 6, unless its changed recently.
That depends on when they get the rabies vaccine. The longer before travel that it's done, the less time in quarantine, so if it's done 6 months before you go, you only have to do quarantine for 1 month - something like that anyway (I'm going from memory as too lazy to look it up right now)
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Hey guys thanks for your input we had the results from the vets today Storm (the dog) has an iu of 4.5 which is a lot higher than the average which is 2.5 and he has now been in quarantine for 2 month so it looks like I am not going to see him for at least 3 months, words cannot describe how emotionally wrecked I am at the moment!!! The husband and I have argued so much; I just wish this move could have been planned and structured I really am devastated over this has anyone else been apart from their dog for so long and did they survive?

I'm crazy mad researching the Internet and all that seems to stick in my mind are the bad stories!!

Quoll you will be pleased to know I have requested a career break which is looking good so at least if I don't like it I can return in a years time!! If only the British government paid more lol!! 👹