Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible move to the Gold Coast - Help!!!!

Possible move to the Gold Coast - Help!!!!

Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

JoJo1301 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to the Gold Coast - Help!!!!

Hi everyone,

I have always dreamt of moving to Oz, now our children are a little older it seems like it could become reality for us! And what I mean by that is that the children and now fully onboard with the idea.
We have decided (after years of research) that the Gold Coast would be the best area for us as a family.
We really want to be able to spend more quality time as a family and give the children a better life. I hope I don’t come across naive with that comment, I understand that living anywhere comes with it’s troubles!
We rent our home here in the UK so don’t have a property to sell, we would be renting over there & we would both need jobs.
My partner is a carpenter by trade, so would need skills assessment etc and I am a freelance writer so for me, it makes no difference where in the world I am, as long as I have WIFI.

I am just really asking if anybody knows the job situation there for tradesmen? With his skills assessment, is he able to apply for jobs and would companies even consider him giving that we would still be in the UK at the time.
I know some companies do sponsor but I’m assuming that’s for more qualified skilled positions? is it worth him contacting companies now?
The one thing he is concerned about is working in the heat.. but we will be able to see just how bad it is when we visit.

Are the schools ok in the area, they seem good on paper but hoping for a real persons opinion? My children will both be in senior school, by the time we move.
Anything else to add on family life etc would be great!

I live in a nice area, the kids go to great schools and I suppose I’m a bit worried that I have a romanticised picture in my head, that isn’t real. I just want somebody who has been there and done it, to be brutally honest with me before we start the LONG and expensive visa process.
We will be visiting next April to have a look at areas and get a feeling for what we like, but we are looking at Burleigh Heads way, which I understand is expensive?

Thanks so much in advance
Jo
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to the Gold Coast - Help!!!!

1. What visa do you have? You are not moving to Australia without a visa.
2. A skills assessment is not a visa. A skills assessment is a pre-requisite to being able to submit an expression of interest, that may lead to you being invited to apply for a visa if your application is drawn.
3. Have you used the points calculator? How many points do you have? Generally speaking 75 points is what is needed for your application to be drawn.
4. Have you done IELTS yet, and what was your score?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply,
Sorry if my message was confusing but, Yes I understand a skills assessment is not a visa.
As you can tell from my previous message, we are in the very early stages of putting things in place - My question really was to gain advice before we spend money out.
We had used the points calculator and apparently we have enough to apply. I understand that the skills assessment is first, then the expression of interest, possible visa and then English test, or do I have that wrong?
Thanks
Jo
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoJo1301
Thanks for your reply,
Sorry if my message was confusing but, Yes I understand a skills assessment is not a visa.
As you can tell from my previous message, we are in the very early stages of putting things in place - My question really was to gain advice before we spend money out.
We had used the points calculator and apparently we have enough to apply. I understand that the skills assessment is first, then the expression of interest, possible visa and then English test, or do I have that wrong?
Thanks
Jo
you many aswel book the skills assessment now and do the english test, took me 6 months to get a skills assessment. Then do eoi. Also a heads up if you think your husband will get top marks in the english test and your basing your points on that you had best do that first and see if he can, i didnt get top marks in all 4 areas and i thought i was 'ok' at english lol.

good luck with your journey

plenty of work around the gold coast/brisbane area

are you going for 189 visa?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jon111
you many aswel book the skills assessment now and do the english test, took me 6 months to get a skills assessment. Then do eoi. Also a heads up if you think your husband will get top marks in the english test and your basing your points on that you had best do that first and see if he can, i didnt get top marks in all 4 areas and i thought i was 'ok' at english lol.

good luck with your journey

plenty of work around the gold coast/brisbane area

are you going for 189 visa?
Thanks so much for the heads up, that’s really helpful! I’ll get the skills assessment booked up ASAP.
I was assuming he would pass, but now I’m doubtful haha.
And, that’s great to hear there’s a lot of work, puts my mind at ease a little.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You can do the skills assessment and English test in either order. They must be done before you submit your Expression of Interest.

The queue for the English test can also be several weeks or months long.

Note - having enough points to "apply" (which is 65) is totally different from having enough points to "receive an invitation" (which in recent times has generally been 75). This is not a case of "65 points and you are in."

Applying on 65 points is not likely to get you a visa. When the draws are done, the EoIs they have are ranked by points total, with the highest points totals getting invitations first, regardless of when they were submitted. This means you can have enough points to apply - but then never get a visa, and many people fall into that. This also means that someone applying well after you, but with a higher points total, will jump you in the queue. You need to check the Home Affairs web site to see what points total the most recent invitation rounds have gone to. I haven't checked in a few months but it has been consistently 75 points for a long time now, very, very occasionally dipping to 70. Again, this means someone applying with 65 points, and probably 70, will not be drawn.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoJo1301
Hi everyone,

I have always dreamt of moving to Oz, now our children are a little older it seems like it could become reality for us! And what I mean by that is that the children and now fully onboard with the idea.
We have decided (after years of research) that the Gold Coast would be the best area for us as a family.
We really want to be able to spend more quality time as a family and give the children a better life. I hope I don’t come across naive with that comment, I understand that living anywhere comes with it’s troubles!
We rent our home here in the UK so don’t have a property to sell, we would be renting over there & we would both need jobs.
My partner is a carpenter by trade, so would need skills assessment etc and I am a freelance writer so for me, it makes no difference where in the world I am, as long as I have WIFI.

I am just really asking if anybody knows the job situation there for tradesmen? With his skills assessment, is he able to apply for jobs and would companies even consider him giving that we would still be in the UK at the time.
I know some companies do sponsor but I’m assuming that’s for more qualified skilled positions? is it worth him contacting companies now?
The one thing he is concerned about is working in the heat.. but we will be able to see just how bad it is when we visit.

Are the schools ok in the area, they seem good on paper but hoping for a real persons opinion? My children will both be in senior school, by the time we move.
Anything else to add on family life etc would be great!

I live in a nice area, the kids go to great schools and I suppose I’m a bit worried that I have a romanticised picture in my head, that isn’t real. I just want somebody who has been there and done it, to be brutally honest with me before we start the LONG and expensive visa process.
We will be visiting next April to have a look at areas and get a feeling for what we like, but we are looking at Burleigh Heads way, which I understand is expensive?

Thanks so much in advance
Jo
There's a lot of building going on (sadly from a local's point of view!) As to whether he'd find work, I have no idea. I honestly can't imagine he'd get sponsorship, there's no need for employers to go to the time and expense of hiring someone whose work they've not seen and who isn't able to start for xx months. Most tradies are casual workers so if they finish a job, there may not be another one immediately and therefore they don't get paid. Don't get holiday or sick pay and most building work shuts down over christmas so no work then either.

Schools - I consider the high schools on the coast to be of a good/high standard. There are one or two I wouldn't send my kids to but that's a personal choice, not for any particular educational/behavioural reason. Both my daughters enjoyed school as much as most kids do. I only had experience of one year of UK high school with my eldest before we moved out but going by what UK friends have said, it's all much of a muchness.

The quality of life and better life comments are, without meaning to be rude, pretty pointless. I personally love the climate and have no problem doing what I want when it's 'hot'. However many people rely on air con and keep the kids inside a lot because it's hot. It's a common fallacy that because the sun shines a lot, families moving over will spend more time together outside. If you're not doing family stuff outside now, it's unlikely you'll do it here - in my experience anyway. I don't know what quality of life really means. You're still working to pay the mortgage, the kids are in school, bills are still needing to be paid, shopping still needs to be done etc etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, we're very happy here, but we were in the UK, we moved over because we could and treated it as an adventure. Been here 13 years now and I still miss people and England. Not to the point that I'm miserable, far from it. My eldest daughter moved back to the UK a couple of years ago so that's not fun. You could come over and find it's fantastic, that you're all having wonderful lives but you're more likely to find it's the same life, just doesn't get cold in winter (although if it drops below 16 degrees we have to light the woodburner).

I don't mean to sound negative at all, but what I will say is that if we were thinking about doing it now, we wouldn't. We were able to sell our UK house for a massive profit and come over when the rate of exchange was 2.5 so were relatively loaded when we arrived. If we didn't have that, it would have been a massive struggle and life would have been bloody hard.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:20 am
Just Joined

LitePay Mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jojo.
Gold Coast is very lifestyle oriented and you have EVERYTHING in close reach. I understand it is the fasting growing area in Australia over last 10 plus years but I can go back to the 70's and it was fast growing then! Kids will be High School age? - there are plenty of government schools in all areas where kids get an education. For 'higher education' you can look at selective high schools (certain pass-mark criteria) or private Schools (Your version of public schools with tie and boater hat etc, Expensive but generally higher education standards and results) There is public transport on the Gold Coast but it's sparse and not what you're used to. You must have a car there. Plenty of good shopping and availability everywhere on the GC, well serviced with hospitals, entertainment, sports/sporting teams, golf especially, theme parks and of course beaches. You all need to be able to swim - don't enter the surf here if you are not proficient. (The beaches are Life Guard patrolled - but you need to be able to swim) There is always construction going on so being a carpenter is an asset. Unsure what licence qualifications are needed - you can find this on the net - there is a 'Gold Class Tradesman' ticket available for example. Suburbs such as Robina, Labrador, Runaway Bay, Nerang are family friendly at varying degrees of cost. Search on Domain or Real estate .com. It is hot there - all year around. You need A/C in your home and a house with a pool is the norm. rent and housing costs generally cheaper than say Sydney and Melbourne. The GC is home to many expats from UK and others, also expats from southern states who have retired or came to the 'coast' for a sea-change. Nice choice, you will enjoy Australia and especially the Gold Coast. Mark.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:00 am
Banned

Angelique Bonita is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any truth in the rumour doing the rounds that OZ will soon refuse residency to expats if they are obese?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelique Bonita
Is there any truth in the rumour doing the rounds that OZ will soon refuse residency to expats if they are obese?
The health requirements haven't changed https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...rements/health
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The health requirements haven't changed https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...rements/health
Hello Concierge

Thank you so much for your reply. I already know they have not changed at the moment. But I have heard some say they are going to. OZ does not want anyone who is going to be a drain on its state healthcare and that includes obese burger king addicts.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelique Bonita
Hello Concierge

Thank you so much for your reply. I already know they have not changed at the moment. But I have heard some say they are going to. OZ does not want anyone who is going to be a drain on its state healthcare and that includes obese burger king addicts.
The reason for the medical examination required for most types of visas to Australia has always been to ensure that new arrivals are not a burden on the country's healthcare system or risk to public health. It's up to the medical examiner to determine whether or not this would be the case, that has not and will not change.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 16th 2019 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 2:02 pm
Banned

Hello Concierge

Thank you so much again for your reply. That certainly makes sense. I reckon I would be OK size 12 and 10 stone, a bit heavy at the top end. But still a good ping-ponger.

What about these two? Would the medical examiner say no probs, but could be difficult finding clothes.

We love OZ.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 16th 2019 at 3:25 pm. Reason: Photo removed - not really fair of whoever the photo is of to put it on a public forum without their permission.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Do you have a particular reason for continuing to ask about people's weight and medicals for Australian visas?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 2:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do you have a particular reason for continuing to ask about people's weight and medicals for Australian visas?
Oh Concierge I am really sorry, I never meant to inconvenience you. I was only ever asking a normal forum question if being obese was a health consideration for OZ residency. If you don’t know and haven’t a clue you never needed to take the time and trouble to post. Some other member may well know the answer.

I am new to the forum and only learning, have I broken any forum rules or terms and conditions? Please advise kindly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.