Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible citizenship changes?

Possible citizenship changes?

Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Possible citizenship changes?

Originally Posted by ptlabs
The main reason behind the citizenship re-examination is that citizens cannot be deported easily.

Permanent residents have much less protection from such ejections, so I would be surprised if the government modified RRV rules for that reason. A permanent visa (be it a 136 or RRV) can easily be cancelled and the holder expelled if the holder was determined enough.

Peter
Talking about deportation, I heard one of the top Politicians on TV talking about this.
He said that once a person becomes an Australian Citizen they could not be deported,
BUT.... if that person has Dual Citizenship, it may be a different matter, as they can cancel the Australian Citizenship, if the person is not left stateless. And the other countries citizenship means they aren't, and therefore could legally be sent back to their other country.

Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
Basically I made my enquiries a few years ago...before I had a computer or knew how to use the internet. I was told that the waiting time was 18mths and if I needed my passport back in that time I would get it but then go back to the bottom of the queue. When we got here the High Commission said that is not so....they only sight the passport and send it back. Basically there was never a time I could be without my passport for that length of time.
Correct. And for naturalisation applications, the Home Office have for a long time accepted a certified copy of the passport (all pages) instead of the original.

Asking for the passport back would have constituted abandonment of an indefinite leave to remain application, but not a naturalisation application.

There are so many cases where advice from 'public enquiry lines' is incomplete, misinterpreted or just plain wrong. It should always be verified.

Jeremy
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Talking about deportation, I heard one of the top Politicians on TV talking about this.
He said that once a person becomes an Australian Citizen they could not be deported,
BUT.... if that person has Dual Citizenship, it may be a different matter, as they can cancel the Australian Citizenship, if the person is not left stateless. And the other countries citizenship means they aren't, and therefore could legally be sent back to their other country.
He's wrong.

There is *no* basis in the Australian Citizenship Act for that statement.

For adults, deprivation of Australian citizenship is based on sections 19 and 21 of the Act:

SECT 19
Loss of citizenship by reason of service in armed forces of anenemy country

An Australian citizen who, under the law of a foreign country, is a national or citizen of that country and serves in the armed forces of a country at war with Australia shall, upon commencing so to serve, cease to be an Australian citizen.

This has never happened as Australia has never *officially* been at war since 26 January 1949 (the Vietnam and Korean conflicts did not involve an offical war declaration)

SECT 21
Deprivation of citizenship

(1) Where:

(a) a person who is an Australian citizen by virtue of a certificate of Australian citizenship:

(i) has been convicted of an offence against section 50 in relation to the application for the certificate of Australian citizenship; or
(ii) has, at any time after furnishing the application for the certificate of Australian citizenship (including a time after the grant of the certificate), been convicted of an offence against a law in force in a foreign country or against a law of the Commonwealth, a State or Territory for which the person has been sentenced to death or to imprisonment for life or for a period of not less than 12 months, being an offence committed at any time before the grant of the certificate (including a time before the furnishing of the application); or
(iii) in respect of a person who was granted the certificate of Australian citizenship as a result of an application for the certificate made after the commencement of this subparagraph—obtained the certificate as a result of migration-related fraud; and

(b) the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest for the person to continue to be an Australian citizen;

the Minister may, in the Minister's discretion, by order, deprive the person of his or her Australian citizenship, and the person shall, upon the making of the order, cease to be an Australian citizen.

(clarifications edited out for brevity).

The bottom line is that a naturalised Australian citizen can only be deprived of citizenship for:
- offences of fraud in relation to the citizenship or permanent residence application; or
- a sentence of 12 months for a crime committed *before* grant of citizenship.

Section 23 operates to deprive a child of Australian citizenship if a responsible parent of the child loses or renounces Australian citizenship. It does not operate if one parent remains an Australian citizen, or if deceased, was an Australian citizen at death.

Any attempt to deprive an Australian citizen of citizenship other than in accordance with the Act would be struck down by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, or failing that, the courts.

Jeremy
Old Aug 29th 2005, 1:12 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Medicals - no.

Police checks - usually no. However if you have spent more than 12 months overseas since getting PR they will need new overseas police checks. This is a new requirement. No need to worry about an Australian police check as DIMIA do this automatically for citizenship applicants.

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:40 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Ron888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Possible citizenship changes?

Originally Posted by seang
Thats dreadfull news specially for someone like me who's going in a temp visa and still has not applied for his RSMS yet

Now it appears the goal posts will be moved and the dream of becoming an OZ citizen would have to be a dream twice as long as expected. I guess old man Murphy just had his way again...

I just hope that this measure, if it does push through.. REALLY DOES help curb potential terrorism in OZ. Otherwise, what this measure just did was made more innocent people miss out on their future... again terrorism wins.

No Cheers this time...
Ron.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:05 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Ron888
Thats dreadfull news specially for someone like me who's going in a temp visa and still has not applied for his RSMS yet

Now it appears the goal posts will be moved and the dream of becoming an OZ citizen would have to be a dream twice as long as expected. I guess old man Murphy just had his way again...

I just hope that this measure, if it does push through.. REALLY DOES help curb potential terrorism in OZ. Otherwise, what this measure just did was made more innocent people miss out on their future... again terrorism wins.

No Cheers this time...
Ron.
In what respect would it "make innocent people miss out on their future"?

Permanent residents have most of the rights of citizens anyway, so if you plan to spend the rest of your life in Australia does it really make so much of a difference if it takes an extra two years to get citizenship?

Jeremy
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:06 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can get a 5 year RRV after 2 years in Australia as a PR on a no-questions-asked basis.
Jeremy
I found this section of the DIMIA web site slightly confusing:

What is a Resident Return visa (RRV)?

A Resident Return visa (RRV) is valid for 3 months or 5 years (depending on circumstances).

It allows Australian permanent residents to travel to and from Australia as often as they wish within the validity of the visa, while maintaining their status as permanent residents.

Who needs an RRV?

Only Australian citizens have the right to enter Australia without a visa. Permanent residents must have a valid RRV, or "old-style" Authority to Return (ATR) or Return Endorsement (RE) if they wish to travel from and to Australia and retain their permanent resident status – even if they will only be out of Australia for a couple of days.

It implies that ALL perm residents need RRVs, but we managed to travel to the UK & back again 8 months after arriving here, without anything other than our normal perm res visas. ISTR hearing that this true for the 1st 2 years of perm residency - is that correct?

Just dug out my PR visa & it does say 'multiple travel' - is that the 'return endorsement'?

Also, we validated, then were here on the 'where to live' recce for 4 weeks - does that time count towards the residency period for citizenship purposes (as it seems time out of Au on holiday counts as a deduction for citizenship)?

If you have to be perm res for 12 months preceeding the application, does that mean you can't leave the country (even for a hol)?

Cheers,
Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Aug 29th 2005 at 4:12 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by anya4oz
If you have to be perm res for 12 months preceeding the application, does that mean you can't leave the country (even for a hol)?

Cheers,
Anya.
It is 12 months out of the previous 24 months.

To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years.

This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application.

The twelve months does not need to be continuous.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm#faq4

Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

It implies that ALL perm residents need RRVs, but we managed to travel to the UK & back again 8 months after arriving here, without anything other than our normal perm res visas. ISTR hearing that this true for the 1st 2 years of perm residency - is that correct?
Your original PR Visa allows the same travel facilities as an RRV, which you would have to get once your original visa expires (normally after 5 years I think), if you wish to leave the country and come back

Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your original PR Visa allows the same travel facilities as an RRV, which you would have to get once your original visa expires (normally after 5 years I think), if you wish to leave the country and come back
That's correct - a look at form 968i will confirm that most initial migrant visas 5 year re-entry facility built in.

Jeremy
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:32 am
JAJ
Retired

Who needs an RRV?

Only Australian citizens have the right to enter Australia without a visa. Permanent residents must have a valid RRV, or "old-style" Authority to Return (ATR) or Return Endorsement (RE) if they wish to travel from and to Australia and retain their permanent resident status – even if they will only be out of Australia for a couple of days.[/I]

Take a look at form 968i"
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Just dug out my PR visa & it does say 'multiple travel' - is that the 'return endorsement'?
No. The old style 'return endorsements' were issued to PRs before the mid 1980s. They require that you visited Australia every three years to keep them valid. A few are still valid today, provided the condition has been kept and the holder has not obtained another visa.

Also, we validated, then were here on the 'where to live' recce for 4 weeks - does that time count towards the residency period for citizenship purposes (as it seems time out of Au on holiday counts as a deduction for citizenship)?
As far as I am aware, all time in Australia with a permanent visa counts.

For some reason a lot of people think this. It's not true. You need a total of 365 days in the 2 years before application but it does not need to be continuous.

Use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au to check eligibility.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 29th 2005 at 10:59 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>For some reason a lot of people think this. It's not true. You need a total of 365 days in the 12 months before application but it does not need to be continuous. <<

Uh?

I suppose, in a leap year........

<g>
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAJ
For some reason a lot of people think this. It's not true. You need a total of 365 days in the 12 months before application but it does not need to be continuous.
For clarity: JAJ did mean to type "365 days in the 24 months before application " Didn't you

Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:38 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Guys (and Ladies)
was there a time when it was 5 years to get citizenship before - or am I wrong?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:54 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Take a look at form 968i"
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

No. The old style 'return endorsements' were issued to PRs before the mid 1980s. They require that you visited Australia every three years to keep them valid. A few are still valid today, provided the condition has been kept and the holder has not obtained another visa.

As far as I am aware, all time in Australia with a permanent visa counts.

For some reason a lot of people think this. It's not true. You need a total of 365 days in the 12 months before application but it does not need to be continuous.

Use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au to check eligibility.

Jeremy
Thanks, Jeremy (despite the dodgy math, but I knew what you meant really )!

Cheers,
Anya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.