British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Possible Brisbane Meet???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/possible-brisbane-meet-189025/)

ANA123 Nov 15th 2003 9:00 pm

Wont make it for dec 14th but count us in for any meeting in the new year, have no family/freinds/job/ anything in Brisbane so will be glad of some freindly faces!

mcmercer

PADDAD Nov 15th 2003 9:15 pm

Please count us in for the 14th December.

Really looking forward to meeting everyone! Well done for organising Pollyana!

Diane, Patrick, Sean and Alex

karenvirginia Nov 16th 2003 7:20 pm

we'll be there - karen and alan.
anyone else travelling up from the gold coast?:)

liz and mark Nov 17th 2003 10:42 am

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just thought I'd bring this one back to the top in case anyone missed it first time round..........December 14th at Wynnum still looks favourite?:cool:

Hi eveyone the 14th is good with us look forward to seeing everyone then.

Liz and mark

anne wilson Nov 19th 2003 6:13 am

Hi,

We're another YES!

Been in brissy 2 and a half weeks from the NW of England.

Got a house in a nothern suburb called Aspley.

We are Anne, Stuart + Joe(6) and Max(10 months).

Look forward to it....

:cool:

MrsDagboy Nov 19th 2003 6:17 am

Add a post if you'd like to come along, the more the merrier :).

MrsDagboy Nov 19th 2003 6:20 am

Looks like we are going to be taking over the Wynnum foreshore Polly! :eek: :scared: LOL

ianmwilliams Nov 19th 2003 7:01 am

add us to your list!

Looks great, count us in.. we will get the UBD out as we dont know where it is!

Pollyana Nov 19th 2003 8:21 am

Hope none of the locals were planning on going there that day!

Ian, Heading south over the Gateway Bridge, think its the first exit? Certainly signposted. Keep going till you get to the sea! very easy to find!

doub Nov 19th 2003 8:45 am

Hi there!

We land in Brisbane Dec 12th so I'm not sure, 14th may be a little soon after arriving!

Really like the idea though, just think it could be a bit tricky logistically - put us on the 'maybe' pile.

Mark, Rachael & boys

Pollyana Nov 19th 2003 8:51 am

Just call it a welcome to Brissie party! Whereabouts will you be staying?

doub Nov 19th 2003 10:29 am

Just call it a welcome to Brissie party! Whereabouts will you be staying?
Hi Pollyana,

We are staying in Summit Central Hotel (Spring Hill I think) for the first week or so, then we are looking Bayside (Maybe around Ormiston as our son Oliver has a place at Ormiston College) still plenty of 'maybe's' and 'whatif's' but thats the plan

Mark

Ev'n'John Nov 19th 2003 11:57 am

Originally posted by doub

We are staying in Summit Central Hotel (Spring Hill I think) for the first week or so, then we are looking Bayside (Maybe around Ormiston as our son Oliver has a place at Ormiston College) still plenty of 'maybe's' and 'whatif's' but thats the plan

Mark
Let us know if we can give you any pointers. We've been here 5 weeks and are renting a house in Wellington Point (very close to Ormiston and the college). Some of the longer term Expats are probably better qualified, but we would be glad to provide advice where we can.

Watch out for the hills in Spring Hill! I started work at a company there this week and my leg muscles are in shock!

Regards,
Evelyn.

cookies Nov 19th 2003 1:13 pm

How hilly is hilly???

Had an e-mail from MrsDagboy yesterday and she was talking of the hills around Manly. Do we need to bringing our hiking boots and crampons for the meet up on the 14th?

There was me thinking everything would be flat, being so near to the coast!

Steve

PeteY Nov 19th 2003 1:17 pm

Originally posted by cookies
How hilly is hilly???

Had an e-mail from MrsDagboy yesterday and she was talking of the hills around Manly. Do we need to bringing our hiking boots and crampons for the meet up on the 14th?

Steve
Think...North Downs in Kent, or the smaller chilterns. Nothing massive.

MrsDagboy Nov 19th 2003 1:21 pm

Originally posted by cookies
How hilly is hilly???

Steve
LOL.

Lots of areas in Brisbane are very hilly, some arent so bad :) . Manly itself rises up from the shoreline to a ridge that runs along parallel to the coast, some of it steeper than other bits.
But you certainly wont need the hiking boots etc for the meetup, its flat as a tack all the way along the 3kms of foreshore :)

Dagboy says he will bring a rope though, in case we need to rope ourselves together ;) :D.

(seriously, Spring Hill which Evelyn mentioned, is like the high street in Guildford or Castle Hill in Cambridge as a comparison)

PeteY Nov 19th 2003 1:26 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL.

Lots of areas in Brisbane are very hilly, some arent so bad :) . Manly itself rises up from the shoreline to a ridge that runs along parallel to the coast, some of it steeper than other bits.
But you certainly wont need the hiking boots etc for the meetup, its flat as a tack all the way along the 3kms of foreshore :)

Dagboy says he will bring a rope though, in case we need to rope ourselves together ;) :D.

(seriously, Spring Hill which Evelyn mentioned, is like the high street in Guildford or Castle Hill in Cambridge as a comparison)
I can lend people my book on extreme alpinism if anyone wants to get to grips with the knarlier parts of the foreshore Mrs D. :) Spread the word!

MrsDagboy Nov 19th 2003 1:33 pm

Originally posted by PeteY
I can lend people my book on extreme alpinism if anyone wants to get to grips with the knarlier parts of the foreshore Mrs D. :) Spread the word!
Hadn't realised that there were so many people into ropes & being tied up LOL.

Next time we will make it at Mt Cootha & you can all abseil off the television trasmitters :D

Pollyana Nov 20th 2003 12:04 am

Don't mention Mt Cootha - first time I went up there I had a close encounter with my first ever dingo - he appeared on TV later in the week! Described as "hungry, separated from his pack, and liable to attack humans"!!!
I also went in the ladies loo up there, in one of the picnic spots, closed the door, sat down (all ok so far...) then looed at the back of the door and it was SMOTHERED in bats!!! I reckon there was about 30 of them, just snoozing, cos this was mid-afternoon, though a couple of them were stirring as the movement of the door had disturbed them. I've never left a loo so quick in my life! Don't mind bats, but I think it was the fact that it was such a small enclosed space, 1 of me, and lots of them!

As for ropes and being tied up - well, I've been told off for discussing weekend acitivities.......(the BOAT, you smutty lot, the BOAT had ropes on it for tying it up!!):D :D

ianmwilliams Nov 20th 2003 4:10 am

We have just took a drive down there, it looks a great place to meet. What was even better was that we felt really young there due to all the coach loads of OAP aussies!!

Jaykay Nov 20th 2003 5:43 am

1 Attachment(s)

(seriously, Spring Hill which Evelyn mentioned, is like the high street in Guildford
Ah, Guildford High Street, my old stomping ground

Ev'n'John Nov 20th 2003 9:33 am

LOL.

I'm just an unfit bod!

I planned my route to work from Central Station and was pleased it was only a short walk. I hadn't realised it was all uphill though - the Redifex street maps don't include contours!!!

I'm a lot quicker on the walk downhill in the evening though!

Evelyn.

Ev'n'John Nov 20th 2003 9:36 am

Originally posted by ianmwilliams
We have just took a drive down there, it looks a great place to meet. What was even better was that we felt really young there due to all the coach loads of OAP aussies!!
We also went to Wynnum last weekend! We walked round the mangrove boardwalk which was very interesting - but we forgot our insect repellant, so we are all scratching a bit this week!

Evelyn.

MrsDagboy Nov 20th 2003 2:18 pm

Up to the top for Miss M :)

PeteY Nov 20th 2003 2:25 pm

Don't mention Mt Cootha - first time I went up there I had a close encounter with my first ever dingo - he appeared on TV later in the week! Described as "hungry, separated from his pack, and liable to attack humans"!!!
I also went in the ladies loo up there, in one of the picnic spots, closed the door, sat down (all ok so far...) then looed at the back of the door and it was SMOTHERED in bats!!! I reckon there was about 30 of them, just snoozing, cos this was mid-afternoon, though a couple of them were stirring as the movement of the door had disturbed them. I've never left a loo so quick in my life! Don't mind bats, but I think it was the fact that it was such a small enclosed space, 1 of me, and lots of them!

As for ropes and being tied up - well, I've been told off for discussing weekend acitivities.......(the BOAT, you smutty lot, the BOAT had ropes on it for tying it up!!):D :D
LOL. Sorry.....probably me being warped again, but did anyone else pick up on the cracking typo in that paragraph?? Teehee, sorry Pol....just made me lol :)

I'll highlight it :D

I also went in the ladies loo up there, in one of the picnic spots, closed the door, sat down (all ok so far...) then looed at the back of the door and it was SMOTHERED in bats!!!
;)

Miss M Nov 20th 2003 2:27 pm

Sounds fantastic, count me in if I can, trying to get flights booked for 7th Dec so not entirely sure about dates yet but will keep updated. I've just been told by my other half it's only just down the road from us! :beer: :D

Pollyana Nov 20th 2003 8:19 pm

Thanks Pete! That'll teach me to type slower!!!I'll get my own back, don't worry!!

Sabby Nov 20th 2003 11:16 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have just moved back to Brisbane after almost 4 years in London. I have also managed to convince my lovely English boyfriend that he should come with me!
We have been here about 6 weeks and I know Glyn is missing his brit mates. We would really like to come out to Wynnum for the BBQ in December.
Can I put a vote in for the 14th?

Sabby and Glyn.

MrsDagboy Nov 21st 2003 2:45 am

Sabby will add you to the list :). Miss M, let us know how you go & we will add you to the possibles list.

Ev & ian, it is lovely down there, especially in the afternoon when you get the sea breeze. Ev, I baulk at walking up some of those hills in Spring Hill too. OK, ok, I baulk at walking up any hills LOL.

Jaykay, we used to live not too far from Guildford, went shopping there a few times, quite a lovely high street. :)

Pete, yep, I did notice it, gave me a giggle too, but I was too polite to mention it :p ;)

Pollyana Nov 21st 2003 2:54 am

Now if you lot don't stop picking on my typing errors, I shall
mis-sort your post and you won't get your Christmas cards till Easter!!!

Sabby Nov 21st 2003 4:27 am

Excellent. Can't wait. We really need to expand our social group past my old uni friends and the people at the pub!
So is it definately the 14th?
And what time/address?
BYO meat and booze for the BBQ?
As for those hills, you should try living in Paddington! If it wasn't for the Cold Rock Ice-Creamery we'd never get over to Rosalie.

MrsDagboy Nov 21st 2003 6:00 am

OK, lets make it definitely the 14th Dec, since everyone seems happy with that.

Now, lets tackle the time. My suggestion is 11am or midday (although someone will have to be there early to grab the tables!), then we can have lunch & a relaxing afternoon. Does that suit everyone?

For those that may have missed it, it will be on the Esplanade at Wynnum foreshore, where the main jetty & beach are, directly opposite The Pelicans Nest fish & seafood takeaway. There are toilets, a kids playground & a saltwater pool there as well (not sure that the pool will be open).

Things to bring - swimmer for those kids (big & little LOL) that would like to play in the water. Plenty of sunscreen (I'll have a huge bottle in case anyone forgets). Some insect repellant, although its usually fairly good just there. BYO drinks & meat for the BBQ. Chairs & tables if you have any (LOL ok, Im being optimistic, but its worth a try), otherwise we will have to rely on someone getting there very early & grabbing a whole covered area.

Anything I have forgotten?

Pollyana Nov 21st 2003 6:20 am

Sounds good to me, Mrs D. Think you have it all covered!J
ust off for a relaxing weekend in the country....! Can you answer me something - is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?:beer:

MrsDagboy Nov 21st 2003 7:23 am

Sounds good to me, Mrs D. Think you have it all covered!J
ust off for a relaxing weekend in the country....! Can you answer me something - is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?:beer:
Yep Polly, tis ok to bring a beer or 2 with you when you come along ;).

DagBoy Nov 21st 2003 7:32 am

is it OK in Queensland to drink beer in the open, like at Wynnum? I know some places don't allow it. I'm not suggesting lurchingdown the street with a bottle in my hand (!!!), but is it OK to bring alcohol to a picnic like this?:beer:
Do you think I would be going if it wasn't?
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sabby Nov 21st 2003 7:48 am

Now that is interesting. I always thought alcohol in public places in Queensland was not on. So when the question was raised by Pollyanna I asked a legal friend of mine and she says that it is not usually allowed to consume alcohol except on licensed or private premises. She recommended calling the local council about that park/location and seeing what they say.
I would be most interested if there are exceptions to the blanket "no booze in public" rules that I remember from my Uni days.

WBB Nov 21st 2003 8:23 am

Originally posted by DagBoy
Do you think I would be going if it wasn't?
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

a man after my own heart.

shame we wont be able to make the meet, but you all have a good time.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Terry Nov 23rd 2003 11:58 am

Don't get on here much now but glad I stumbled across this thread. We are arriving on the 7th Dec. and would love to meet up.

MrsDagboy Nov 23rd 2003 12:10 pm

Sabby, hmmmmmmm very strange, while I know its a no no to be drunk in a public place, I have never heard of anyone ever being in trouble from drinking at, say, a family BBQ in the park etc. How many hundreds of thousands of people spend Xmas day *out* ie at the beach, local park etc, Im damn sure that they all have a few drinks! Same as for things like Fathers day & Mothers day, Anzac day, Australia Day etc. :confused:

Terry, will add you to the list then :)

Prestons Nov 23rd 2003 10:44 pm

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on the time of the Brisbane meeting? Our PC will be packed away on Thursday, so I'd like to make a note of all the details before we fly next Monday!

Dawn