Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible Brisbane Meet????

There seem to be a lot of you out there are already here, or in the process of moving to the Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast area, so Mrs Dagboy and I were wondering how many people would be interested in a meet?
If enough people are up for it, we were thinking of Sunday December 7th or December 14th, possibly in Wynnum, cos its reasonably easy to reach and theres loads of room for the kids to run around, and gorgeous views over the water.

I know some of you are arriving early next year, so don't worry you won't miss out cos we'll have one then too!

Anyone out there fancy the idea???? Or got any alternative suggestions???
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:53 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We're in for either date, others might have a preference .
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey come on guys! Does no-one else wanna meet up?!! Maybe I'm just impatient cos I've just got here and I wanna make friends (other than the guy in Aus Post who already thinks I'm nuts!!!!)
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hey come on guys! Does no-one else wanna meet up?!! Maybe I'm just impatient cos I've just got here and I wanna make friends (other than the guy in Aus Post who already thinks I'm nuts!!!!)
Polly, pre christmas may be a bad time. Like we are away, but if we were here, you usually get invited to several work dos, christmas barbies etc plus all the school things happen in the first two weeks of Dec. Whenever we have been here in Dec, its been difficult to fit so much in in that lead up to Xmas bit. It just all seems to all happen at once.

End of January/ Feb is dead as, tho and everyones usually broke and bored, you would probably get heaps of people keen then. just dont make it in the school hols the traffic get truly awful from both coasts and that could put a lot of people off too.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Sorry, guess I was following the English theory that a few people might like a pre-Christmas meet. However, I'm quite willing to accept that I'm the new guy round here, so I'll leave it to the rest of you to come with a better time.
I need to get off my butt and find a job anyway, enough of this frivolous time-wasting!

:lecture:
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:25 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Meet the Nimbus 2000

Poly the good Witch love too but dont think we will have the yellow stickers by early next year . I so wanted to make an offer for ya broom as you wont be needing it any more!!!
Still as the diehards are continuing to post then we may all meet up on the next one
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sorry, guess I was following the English theory that a few people might like a pre-Christmas meet. However, I'm quite willing to accept that I'm the new guy round here, so I'll leave it to the rest of you to come with a better time.
I need to get off my butt and find a job anyway, enough of this frivolous time-wasting!

:lecture:
Probably be a few new arrivals on here tonight who would be responding to this post Polly, people who might be arriving in the
next few weeks. I think there are a few new ones due before Xmas, theres supposed to be a few families already here who have not posted yet?

Give it a bit more time, posts only been up a few hours, could be dozens by tomorrow.

If you do have a do, New farm park is great, huge shady trees, bbqs, heaps of parking, massive park built into 100 year old fig trees. Kids would have plenty to do there.

Good luck with it.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Hi Bed of Roses! - You'll have to fight Arlene for the broom, she's already expressed an interest!!!!
Keep posting, and we'll see you at a future coven - errrr- gathering!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:35 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty, we are planning to have another meet up in about Feb next year as well, but thought we would do one before Xmas as well. I know of at least 2 couples who are arriving between now & the dates given who wont be tied up with school, bbqs, work dos etc as they will have only just got here & Im sure they would love to get together with Polly. I know another 6 couples/families arriving Jan/Feb, so there will be plenty of new blood soon for another meet.

Polly, dont worry, even if its just us, Im sure we will have a good time
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Sorry dotty, posted mine while you were posting yours.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:15 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hmmm, would love to, but we will be in Mount Gambier SA for December, so the wife can have Christmas with her folks. I will also be far too busy in the first 4 weeks fishing and snorkling my socks off, hav'nt done either for 2 years and miss them like crazy!

Will definatly be up for a meet in the new year though....We were thinking of coming up to Bris about end of Jan, but we might come up a little earlier. We need to do a quick trip to Coober Pedy and Adelaide to see friends first, and we are giving about 2 weeks for that. So probably mid jan....

Getting pretty excited now....but im also turning into a nervous wreck !!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:17 am
WBB

myself the bird and the two little ones would love to come to a meet, only problem is we have no visa yet.

we will be there middle of next year keep us in mind for then.

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Will do Billy .

Pete, yeah we know there are a heap coming in Jan/Feb, a few regulars including you & Tina & Carrianne + others who have been keeping in contact with me, so we will definitely be organising one in Feb, just so we know that everyone will be here.

I think Carrianne is one of the last to get here, but I have forgotten the date ... I think its early Feb? We'll make sure that its after that
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I have thought about suggesting / attending a Brisbane meet. However, I find myself in two minds:

1) Meeting fellow immigrants could be fun - we obviously have a lot in common and would have a lot to share and talk about

2) Meeting fellow immigrants would be a negative step when you are attempting full integration into a new culture/society.

I have lent towards (2) so far. However, I do find myself scouring this newsgroup very often.......so........maybe I have some requirement that needs filling. Also, helping somebody else would me a good thing to do.

We move to Brissie at the end of May and we are really enjoying it. This may be a western 1st world country that speaks English....but it is very different than the UK. We are enjoying those differences. Speaking about things being better (some things are! - not that much though!) in the UK would not be constructive.

Does anybody else feel that meeting immigrants or becoming friends with other immigrants may be a bad idea?

Could it make your acceptance of/by the Aussies harder in the long run.

(by the way, I am aware that everybody here is an immigrant, except the abo's)

At the moment I'm not sure. However, my priority is to make new 'Aussie' friends rather than other immigrants.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
I have thought about suggesting / attending a Brisbane meet. However, I find myself in two minds:

1) Meeting fellow immigrants could be fun - we obviously have a lot in common and would have a lot to share and talk about

2) Meeting fellow immigrants would be a negative step when you are attempting full integration into a new culture/society.

I have lent towards (2) so far. However, I do find myself scouring this newsgroup very often.......so........maybe I have some requirement that needs filling. Also, helping somebody else would me a good thing to do.

We move to Brissie at the end of May and we are really enjoying it. This may be a western 1st world country that speaks English....but it is very different than the UK. We are enjoying those differences. Speaking about things being better (some things are! - not that much though!) in the UK would not be constructive.

Does anybody else feel that meeting immigrants or becoming friends with other immigrants may be a bad idea?

Could it make your acceptance of/by the Aussies harder in the long run.

(by the way, I am aware that everybody here is an immigrant, except the abo's)

At the moment I'm not sure. However, my priority is to make new 'Aussie' friends rather than other immigrants.
My opinion...is that you are right in the sense that you do need to integrate into society, but you will find it easier if you have a network of friends as big as possible!!

Meeting people who are in a similar situation to you could be VERY beneficial. You can't talk with aussies (at least not many) about all the things you miss, the things that are different etc. Well you can, but you may not get the response you want! I do agree that it would be very "dangerous" to only try to go in circles with other brits, but a good mix of the two is healthy i would have thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.