Reload this Page >

Is It Possible...

Is It Possible...

Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

JP87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is It Possible...

Hi

I’ve been lurking in the background reading this site for a couple of weeks and finally plucked up the courage to make a post. I’m seriously considering moving to either Perth or Melbourne (both of which I’ve visited).

I’ve got a million thoughts, ideas and questions going through my head and its driving me mad!!! I need to get something down on paper and any comments or advice would be greatly apprechiated.

I’m 22, single and employed as a Quantity Surveyor – which is on both the Skilled Occupation List and Employer Nomination Scheme
Occupation List. I’m currently doing my degree part time on a day release basis. I have 2 and a half years left until I graduate, so it will be July 2012 befire I can even think about applying for a visa so I’m abit in advance, but I’d like to know if I’m wasting my time.

I am not a home owner, I live with the rents, but if I were to move, I’d estimate I’d have in the region of £12k - £17k in savings, a couple of suitcases full of clothes and a few boxes of cds, books and DVDs.

Is this enough to get a car, place to rent for 8 – 10 weeks until I settle on an area and find employment (I assume you need a job to apply for a mrtgage?)

A quick job search shows I could earn $75k per year as a graduate QS, knocking tax off that gives me $63k net per annum.

A quick look on a real estate website and the mortgage I can get with that doesn’t honestly get me a lot.

Please fill me with confidence that this is doable and not a pipe dream!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all
Default Re: Is It Possible...

Definitely doable in my opinion! Say you come over with $30,000:

If you want to rent a 1 bed apartment close to the city (Melbourne, no idea about Perth sorry) - say Prahran, Windsor or Fitzroy, Brunswick - you can get something perfectly decent for $275pw - $300pw. Seeing as you won't have a job when you arrive you'll more than likely need to pay at least 3 months rent in advance to secure a place - on top of the usual 1 months bond and 1 month in advance - so allocate at least 5 months worth of rent from your budget. You can also buy a cheap furniture package from somewhere like Fantastic Furniture, or do an Ikea run (or just buy second hand stuff or whatever). If you don't want to buy white goods/tv just rent them from somewhere like Radio Rentals.However, if you flat-share (also a great way to meet new people) you will avoid paying the 3 months in advance and buying loads of stuff / utility connections so you may want to consider doing that.....

Cars - 2nd hand really hold their value here and presume you would need to pay cash if you don't have a job - you could buy a banger to get you through the first few months for around $5k or else allow $12k - $16k to get something a bit newer/better.

So, yes you can do it - and the $amount you'll need to spend varies on how much you want to spend on a car and whether you want a place of your own.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP87
A quick job search shows I could earn $75k per year as a graduate QS, knocking tax off that gives me $63k net per annum.
Assuming your $75k doesn't include super, $63k seems a bit on the high side.

Try the calculator here:

$75k (in 2009/10) means you pay $16,350 in tax leaving $58,650.

On top of that you'd need to subtract another 1.5% Medicare ($1,125).

At $75k you are also liable for a Medicare Surcharge of 1% (or you pay for private medical cover - at 75k paying the levy is probably cheaper) - so deduct another $750.

So in basic terms $75k gives you about $56,800 net.

First things first though I would check that your expected combination of degree & work experience meets the requirements for your skills assessment.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP87
Hi

I’ve been lurking in the background reading this site for a couple of weeks and finally plucked up the courage to make a post. I’m seriously considering moving to either Perth or Melbourne (both of which I’ve visited).

I’ve got a million thoughts, ideas and questions going through my head and its driving me mad!!! I need to get something down on paper and any comments or advice would be greatly apprechiated.

I’m 22, single and employed as a Quantity Surveyor – which is on both the Skilled Occupation List and Employer Nomination Scheme
Occupation List. I’m currently doing my degree part time on a day release basis. I have 2 and a half years left until I graduate, so it will be July 2012 befire I can even think about applying for a visa so I’m abit in advance, but I’d like to know if I’m wasting my time.

I am not a home owner, I live with the rents, but if I were to move, I’d estimate I’d have in the region of £12k - £17k in savings, a couple of suitcases full of clothes and a few boxes of cds, books and DVDs.

Is this enough to get a car, place to rent for 8 – 10 weeks until I settle on an area and find employment (I assume you need a job to apply for a mrtgage?)

A quick look on a real estate website and the mortgage I can get with that doesn’t honestly get me a lot.

Please fill me with confidence that this is doable and not a pipe dream!!!

Thanks in advance.
You're 22 years old, in my opinion your plans are too sensible. In July 2012 you will still be a "youthful" 24 or 25.

Why not get a working holiday visa, travel around asia for a while, end up in Aus, travel around for 6months partying going to beaches, meeting hot girls from Scandinavia and south america, before putting your sensible hat back on for the final 6months. Then you can apply for a job and think about a mortgage and all those other really exciting things.

best of luck!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

steve44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I got sponsored as QS and ive been here 3 yrs, well worth it.
You could think about getting sponsored nearer to finishing your degree.
It means that you wouldnt have to pay the fees and would get your flight paid for!.

Send me an email nearer the time and ill send more details.

cheers