Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Positives and Negatives about Adelaide

Positives and Negatives about Adelaide

Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Positives and Negatives about Adelaide

Originally Posted by mr mover
What a load of old bollocks........MM
So eloquent. Try to be a bit more objective in that learned response and then perhaps others might gain from it. Otherwise it's somewhat tricky to decipher what particular aspect you take such an objection to.

Below is another bit of temp fact for you to enjoy. In the middle of summer too!!! Personally I think 11.8 feels cold!!!

Central for Monday Fine and partly cloudy. Mild to warm with moderate to fresh S/SE winds.

24-hour graph »Currently at Noarlunga
Temperature 13.5°C
Dew Point 3.3°C
Feels Like 11.8°C
Relative Humidity 50%
Wind
E 20km/h
Wind Gusts 33km/h

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/sa/central/mclaren-vale
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

What a load of old bollocks........MM
Seriously

Don’t advised people of the wrong thing, It is not a load of Bollllllll, as you have said.
Angle Vale is north , Seaford is south and the hills is the hills..........Wherever .
All have different temps most of the time, granted when we lived in golden grove, we found a difference to Seaford Rise, as going to our friends in Lobethal.
The north is slightly better for its temp. But not near the beaches,
Every year for the past 4 years in winter, i have been able to put on my SKI coat, YES SKI coat, hat etc and go for walks along the beach front a Glenelg, where its been raining blowing a gale , all the shops are shut its dark at 5ish. i then go and sit in the Stanford for coffee, the wind is that bad the windows are bowing .
It is exactly the same as Blackpool front in nov, for about 8 weeks on and off.
Don’t get me wrong i enjoy this, however the temp and weather does not just rapidly go up, you then have the mths of slight change were its cold at nite, hence all who have pools normally have solar heating for them. You have been in Adelaide since 1962( re one of your posts) , the new migrants, most are expecting a bit more as the outside world has changed. some people are looking to live were after work they are swimming most of the time , sitting outside beach side cafes in the sun through to warm nights sitting on their balconies or in there entertainment areas. Let’s get real this can only happen for about 8 weeks of the year , without having to wear a jumper long pants.
Adelaide is nice and the weather is better than the uk, But it is not what most would expect from Australia.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
So eloquent. Try to be a bit more objective in that learned response and then perhaps others might gain from it. Otherwise it's somewhat tricky to decipher what particular aspect you take such an objection to.

Below is another bit of temp fact for you to enjoy. In the middle of summer too!!! Personally I think 11.8 feels cold!!!

Central for Monday Fine and partly cloudy. Mild to warm with moderate to fresh S/SE winds.

24-hour graph »Currently at Noarlunga
Temperature 13.5°C
Dew Point 3.3°C
Feels Like 11.8°C
Relative Humidity 50%
Wind
E 20km/h
Wind Gusts 33km/h

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/sa/central/mclaren-vale
It's been a little windy down there, but it didn't feel cold today at all. I was in the middle of a field, quite high up and only about 1 and half k from the beach at Moana (just down from Noarlunga).

Although last Monday it was 43 degrees I stayed inside the site office that day
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:50 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Adelaide is a great little city and doesn't deserve the shit it gets. In terms of career opporunities though anyone who actually would like to do something with their lives would go elsewhere. Most to Melbourne.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Adelaide is a great little city and doesn't deserve the shit it gets. In terms of career opporunities though anyone who actually would like to do something with their lives would go elsewhere. Most to Melbourne.
I have a pretty good career thanks
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have a pretty good career thanks
You always land the good jobs

The pool at my ex's house , ?????
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by milly123
You always land the good jobs

The pool at my ex's house , ?????
I was headhunted did a month as a temp, and they liked me so much they offered me a job. Got promoted within 3 months too

and yes, I left my hubby 4 weeks ago!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

QUOTE=Wendy;9158191]I was headhunted did a month as a temp, and they liked me so much they offered me a job. Got promoted within 3 months too , - Good Going , hell of a drive though, even the highway will be going the wrong way, if you get a lunch break try going to port Noarlunga chippy, have the chips n gravy with a bread roll

and yes, I left my hubby 4 weeks ago![/QUOTE] - hope all goes well for you,
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by milly123
Good Going , hell of a drive though, even the highway will be going the wrong way, if you get a lunch break try going to port Noarlunga chippy, have the chips n gravy with a bread roll
Well I actually started working for them when they built the underpass at South Road/ANZAC highway. Then we moved on and did the tramline extension from the City to the Entertainment Centre and now we're down south doing the train line. It's only for 2 years then we'll move onto the next job. Although we do have a few other irons in the fire at the minute, so you never know I could move again pretty soon

Already been to the chippy - it's my favourite one in the whole of Adelaide

- hope all goes well for you,
Thanks. I'll be fine
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Well I actually started working for them when they built the underpass at South Road/ANZAC highway. Then we moved on and did the tramline extension from the City to the Entertainment Centre and now we're down south doing the train line. It's only for 2 years then we'll move onto the next job. Although we do have a few other irons in the fire at the minute, so you never know I could move again pretty soon

Already been to the chippy - it's my favourite one in the whole of Adelaide

Thanks. I'll be fine
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[up, trust me. We had a double brick house with double glazing (quite rare in SA, built by an expat pom) but still struggled to warm the place up.

Double Brick house rare in South Australia , i think not when the settlers came here in 1836.

The first thing they noticed was a lack of timber so most early houses were built of stone, untill the clay pits opened up ie the Brick works Market.

Most houses in Adelaide pre 1970 are solid stone or double brick , the reactive soil/clay in the lower hills area, Para Hills , modbury , Teatree gully saw extensive cracking in double brick {new built Homes} which sent a number of companies broke, fixing up there f**k ups IE {Rialto HOMES }, this is why most Adelaide homes , are cheap to build plus the dont, flex and crack under the extremes of the Adelaide summer,and under the strees of cool Adelaide winters .................MM
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:36 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

When the weather is from the north it comes over the whole of Australia and is warm to hot to very hot. When it comes from the south it has travelled uninterrupted from Antarctica. A weather change can drop the temperature by up to 15-20 degrees C in less than an hour.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Positives and Negatives about Adelaide

Most houses in Adelaide pre 1970 are solid stone or double brick , the reactive soil/clay in the lower hills area, Para Hills , modbury , Teatree gully saw extensive cracking in double brick {new built Homes} which sent a number of companies broke, fixing up there f**k ups IE {Rialto HOMES }
Good point. We have a three cracks in our walls which open and close throughout the year, depending on the season. They're not structural, and when they're closed you can barely see them.

Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:47 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Positive - no matter what you wear, you'll never feel out of date.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

I guess that the people that love Adelaide stay and the others that don't, move interstate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.