Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portuguese man o'war

Wikiposts

Portuguese man o'war

Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese man o'war

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Cas
There wa a story about this in the Herald Sun last week. I cant remember what species they were but they had made people quite poorly - apparently a school trip had gone to the beach at Chelsea and several pupils had sickness from the jellyfish. I'll try and find the article.
CAn get the headline up on Google but not the actual article:
"JELLYFISH have invaded bayside beaches with 22 children stung yesterday...."
that's as much as I can get, sorry!!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Cas
There wa a story about this in the Herald Sun last week. I cant remember what species they were but they had made people quite poorly - apparently a school trip had gone to the beach at Chelsea and several pupils had sickness from the jellyfish. I'll try and find the article.
Thanks - there were loads of them - all this blue in colour

Cas
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:58 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Are jellyfish easy to spot from the beach or is it only when you get in the water you see them?

Also, when is 'stinger' season - when's the best times of year to give the sea a wide bearth?

Cheers,

Rob
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:13 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Are jellyfish easy to spot from the beach or is it only when you get in the water you see them?

Also, when is 'stinger' season - when's the best times of year to give the sea a wide bearth?

Cheers,

Rob
They get washed up on the shore. I foolishly assumed as there were plenty more surfers out that there wouldn't be a problem

Interestingly the rash left by the little sods continued to get worse until yesterday (72 hours afterwards), but is showing signs of improving today.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of

http://www.marinestingers.com/marine...rs/default.htm

This website has a lot of info about stingers - the video has advice about treatment,
Cheers,
Cat
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:12 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

blue bottles hurt like hell.. I was stung when I was a kid.. think it might have been Caloundra or something.. but there was an inshore wind, in came the blue bottles, and I ended up stung very badly - all down one side of my body.... the whelts were pretty amazing - a great big red line down one side of my body, down my leg and also all down one warm.. pppaiinful!!!

but I think you've got to be in the wrong place and the right tide/time of year and breeze to catch the little suckers!!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Is it a miff about getting some one to urinate on the stung area.If it is not thinking about renting my daughter out as she goes to the toilet every 5 minutes
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:13 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karenjc
Is it a miff about getting some one to urinate on the stung area.If it is not thinking about renting my daughter out as she goes to the toilet every 5 minutes

Surely your taking the piss.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:14 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4lex
They get washed up on the shore. I foolishly assumed as there were plenty more surfers out that there wouldn't be a problem

Interestingly the rash left by the little sods continued to get worse until yesterday (72 hours afterwards), but is showing signs of improving today.
Erm, someone told me if you were got by a jellyfish then you should (or get someone else to) pee over the affected area
Were they right, or a person of dubious qualities??!! Oh bugger have just seen above notes-that'll teach me to type faster....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
Surely your taking the piss.
NO your not taking it your giving it
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenjc
You are probably more likely to cause an infection than relieve any pain.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
You are probably more likely to cause an infection than relieve any pain.
it is an urban myth, but untrue!....

"The best medicine for stings is avoidance. Fortunately, this is easy since lifeguards send notices to the media and post warning signs at the beaches. Just stay out of leeward waters on the day or two the box jellyfish are here.

If you do come in contact with a box jellyfish, pour or spray vinegar on it. This inactivates stinging cells that may still be on the skin's surface.

Contrary to popular belief, neither meat tenderizer nor urine relieves the pain of jellyfish stings and might even do some harm.

Hot packs (or hot baths) make some people feel better. If that doesn't help, try ice.

The effect of heat and cold on these stings varies widely from person to person."
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Jamiem
it is an urban myth, but untrue!....

"The best medicine for stings is avoidance. Fortunately, this is easy since lifeguards send notices to the media and post warning signs at the beaches. Just stay out of leeward waters on the day or two the box jellyfish are here.

If you do come in contact with a box jellyfish, pour or spray vinegar on it. This inactivates stinging cells that may still be on the skin's surface.

Contrary to popular belief, neither meat tenderizer nor urine relieves the pain of jellyfish stings and might even do some harm.

Hot packs (or hot baths) make some people feel better. If that doesn't help, try ice.

The effect of heat and cold on these stings varies widely from person to person."
Do not put vinegar on a blue bottle sting. Read earlier post.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:05 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Do not put vinegar on a blue bottle sting. Read earlier post.
Vinegar offered a good amount of relief from the bluebottle stings I sustained. In fact it's glaringly obvious looking at the welts on my skin now which areas were treated with vinegar (fading quickly) and which were not (still red and angry).
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by 4lex
Vinegar offered a good amount of relief from the bluebottle stings I sustained. In fact it's glaringly obvious looking at the welts on my skin now which areas were treated with vinegar (fading quickly) and which were not (still red and angry).
It can offer relief for some species of blue bottle but can make the stings worse for another species. The 2 species are indistinguishable therefore the Red Cross recommended no vinegar on the first aid course that I was on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.