Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portable TV Safe in packing box?

Portable TV Safe in packing box?

Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

paul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the rough
Default Portable TV Safe in packing box?

We are packing up our first shipment of boxes at the weekend (as supplied by PSS). We have a large 24" TV which we are shipping at a later date as I understand it is usual to have a box specially made? However, we are condidering sending over a 14" portable TV now. Has anyone sent one just in a normal packing box, suitably protected of course? Any horror stories or advice?!!!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:38 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Portable TV Safe in packing box?

Originally Posted by paul&kath
We are packing up our first shipment of boxes at the weekend (as supplied by PSS). We have a large 24" TV which we are shipping at a later date as I understand it is usual to have a box specially made? However, we are condidering sending over a 14" portable TV now. Has anyone sent one just in a normal packing box, suitably protected of course? Any horror stories or advice?!!!

Ask PSS for a proper box for it

PJ
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:46 am
rudo1ph

I sent my mum and dad home with one on the plane recently because it didn't work here. Just bunged it in a normal box and it went on with the normal luggage on the plane. Worked fine when they got it home.

Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:52 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
I sent my mum and dad home with one on the plane recently because it didn't work here. Just bunged it in a normal box and it went on with the normal luggage on the plane. Worked fine when they got it home.
Don't bother bringing TVs to Australia/NZ - they won't work here. I've lived in both countries and tried!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

paul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by natmcg
Don't bother bringing TVs to Australia/NZ - they won't work here. I've lived in both countries and tried!
They do if you use an Aussie video recorder apparently. Or a Playstation. That's why we thought we might as well take it....
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:42 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Originally Posted by paul&kath
They do if you use an Aussie video recorder apparently. Or a Playstation. That's why we thought we might as well take it....
True - the video will act as the tuner. ...but you can't watch one channel while recording another. By and large, unless it's a nice new set, my suggestion is to sell it before you get here but it's just my opinion.

And for anyone that's wondering, computer monitors work fine down here.