Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Phillip Island?

Port Phillip Island?

Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Port Phillip Island?

Going for our last trip to Melb in June, but have never been to Port Phillip Island, is it worth going?

Anybody been there, tips info? Any chance of seeing Penguins at that time of year or is the Melbourne Winter a bit nippy even for them Seriously I would love to see them? Nice places to stay?

Oh and how long by car from Melb?

Thanks
Old Apr 9th 2004, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Port Phillip Island?

Originally posted by dotty
Going for our last trip to Melb in June, but have never been to Port Phillip Island, is it worth going?

Anybody been there, tips info? Any chance of seeing Penguins at that time of year or is the Melbourne Winter a bit nippy even for them Seriously I would love to see them? Nice places to stay?

Oh and how long by car from Melb?

Thanks
Used to love going to Phillip Island. It's about 1 1/2 hours by car if I remember correctly, although I think they've put better roads in since I've been there, so it may take less time.

I think the penguins come in there all year round, but if you don't want to pay to watch them, then walk over to the beach on the other side of the road and watch them for free.

There are some lovely beaches down there too, and you may even see koalas in the trees.

Regards
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:09 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

We were there last year at this time. This is the worst time of year for seeing the penguins, but it was still worth it for us because I love penguins! Wrap up warm, though.

Go to the seal information centre, don't bother paying to go in, just walk along the boardwalks and you'll see penguins underneath them. If you take binoculars you can see the seals on the rocks out at sea.

Apart from that, there's not much there, typical touristy seaside place, no decent places to eat. We stayed at a motel just off the island, nothing special but OK.

Jane