Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Macquarie/Coffs Harbour areas???

Port Macquarie/Coffs Harbour areas???

Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Port Macquarie/Coffs Harbour areas???

Hi to all

Have been researching Port. Macquarie and Coffs Harbour as potential areas for us to relocate to. Family of five with children aged 11, 9, 5.

Any input on what these areas are like would be much appreciated. Specifically :

- Primary schools?
- Secondary schools?

Also does anyone work at the hospitals in these places - I am a midwife and would be looking at possibly approaching the hosp. there for work.

Many thanks for your thoughts......

Looby
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:47 am
Just Joined

galwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant future
Default Re: Port Macquarie/Coffs Harbour areas???

Hi louloumama

We lived in Sydney for 20+ years and had a holiday apartment in Port Macquaire. Its about 5 hours drive north of Sydney. It is a very beautiful place and we have many happy memories of it. I would say that it is a busy place during the holiday season but very quiet out of season. There are some great restaurants there and quite a large shopping centre now... compared to what it was 25 years ago. Lots of smaller shops on the main street. Life would move at a slow pace so it depends I suppose on what kind of life style you are searching for.

Because it is a tourist town nice homes are not cheap with some of the waterfront properties fetching millions.

St Columba Anglian School has a good reputation as does Port Macquire High school. Google Port Macquire District Schools.

The General Hospital is in the town itself .....google Port Macquaire Base Hospital...just had a look and you can apply for positions vacant on line. Coffs Harbour which is 2 hrs drive north of Port M is looking for a midwife. Sorry don't know much about Coffs Harbour itself only that it is bigger. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louloumama
Hi to all

Have been researching Port. Macquarie and Coffs Harbour as potential areas for us to relocate to. Family of five with children aged 11, 9, 5.

Any input on what these areas are like would be much appreciated. Specifically :

- Primary schools?
- Secondary schools?

Also does anyone work at the hospitals in these places - I am a midwife and would be looking at possibly approaching the hosp. there for work.

Many thanks for your thoughts......

Looby
We go to coffs on holiday & love the place i would try & get employment from uk as the hospital will pay some relo costs & you have a job to go to. But you are 5hr from brisbane thats the only draw back for me
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

yeah, Port Macquarie is a nice place, though a little bit quiet. I was there about a month ago (in the middle of the summer school holidays) and the place was dead after about 10pm. Very pleasant little spot though, but only one decent bar/pub (which tries to close about 9.30pm every day apart from Saturday).
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Thanks all for your input. Sounds like it could be def worth checking these two places out further......

Lou x