Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Bouvard - Schools, Kindy etc

Port Bouvard - Schools, Kindy etc

Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough
Default Port Bouvard - Schools, Kindy etc

Hi

Landed in Perth a week ago and have begun looking around at potential areas to settle for a bit!

Had a look around Port Bouvard today. Looks ideal for me. Before I get too carried away though I'm hoping that a resident Port Bouvard'ian' might be able to help me out a bit.

Where are the nearest primary schools and kindy. How easy is it to get your kids in and are their waiting lists?

Also would be good to know if there are any coffee shops, restaurants within short distance (is walking distance too optimistic).

Had the kids in the car so after viewing the outside of a few potential properties and assessing the wind/kite surfing time ran out. So I couldn't extend my search a little wider and explore the 'essentials' (according to my OH easy access to a windsurfing beach doesn't resolve all issues so childcare and schooling have climbed the priorities ladder!

Any help from anyone in the know would be much appreciated.

Bernie
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Bouvard - Schools, Kindy etc

Originally Posted by bernstable
Hi

Landed in Perth a week ago and have begun looking around at potential areas to settle for a bit!

Had a look around Port Bouvard today. Looks ideal for me. Before I get too carried away though I'm hoping that a resident Port Bouvard'ian' might be able to help me out a bit.

Where are the nearest primary schools and kindy. How easy is it to get your kids in and are their waiting lists?

Also would be good to know if there are any coffee shops, restaurants within short distance (is walking distance too optimistic).

Had the kids in the car so after viewing the outside of a few potential properties and assessing the wind/kite surfing time ran out. So I couldn't extend my search a little wider and explore the 'essentials' (according to my OH easy access to a windsurfing beach doesn't resolve all issues so childcare and schooling have climbed the priorities ladder!

Any help from anyone in the know would be much appreciated.

Bernie
Dont live there but heres a list of schools
Nearest to PB are Glencoe (Falcon) and Halls Head

Mandurah Preschools in the region are Frederick Irwin Anglican Community, Glencoe Pre-Primary, Hackett St Pre-Primary, North Mandurah Pre-Primary, Halls Head Pre-Primary, Dudley Park Pre-Primary and Aldgate St Pre-Primary Schools

Primary Schools in the Mandurah region are North Mandurah Primary, Halls Head Primary, Dudley Park Primary, Greenfields Primary, Mandurah Primary, Falcon Primary, Riverside Primary and Glencoe Primary School.

Secondary schools in the Mandurah region include Mandurah Senior Campus, Coodanup Community College, Halls Head Community College and Mandurah Senior High School.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that.

What does pre-primary mean is that just a primary school that caters for pre-primary age or is it like a nursery/childcare facility?

Thanks

Bernie
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bernstable
Thanks for that.

What does pre-primary mean is that just a primary school that caters for pre-primary age or is it like a nursery/childcare facility?

Thanks

Bernie
Presume it means a Kindergarten-Childcare Service
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

ebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the rough

schools nearest to port bouvard are falcon primary. its public and has an excellent reputation.
dawesville catholic is private but have heard fantastic reports from people ive spoken to.
ocean road is supposed to be good too, you really are spoiled for choice in that area.
pre primary is part of the school, its not compulsary and attendance is 5 days p.w.
the following year year one is compulsary.
hope this helps.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Looks good on the schools front. How about kindy for a 2 and a half year old? Are there any within a reasonable distance?

bernie
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

ebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the rough

kindy is part of the school system too. it goes kindy, pre primary, year one.
kindy attendance starts around the fourth birthday and is usually two full days or 4 half days p.w

you will be looking for daycare for a two yr old. 'small friends' is in falcon. everyone i know loves it.the same goes for 'early stars' run by ymca. dont know of any others , sorry.
i would put your name down asap for school and daycare.

Last edited by ebonski; Oct 12th 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

I agree with ebonski about everyone loving Small Friends, it's fabulous! Jane, who owns it has two sites, one in Falcon the other in Singleton. My 4 year old son went to the Singleton one and adored it. I haven't been able to find anything like it over here (back in England now), and to be honest I don't think anything came close to it over there either, it's that good.

They have long waiting lists though, so you might want to get your child's name down quickly, assuming you like it. If I'd have stayed in Perth I would have done Kindy at Small Friends and then moved my son on to school at pre-primary level. I can't sing the praises of it enough!