Reload this Page >

Port Arthur massacre

Port Arthur massacre

Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:39 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Port Arthur massacre

Given the past few days tragic news from Finland where there was a massacre at a school, I have been browsing the history of many of the massacres of the recent years.

One thing which really caught my attention was that in all but one of the massacres there is some factor in play leading to such a horrendous crime; Disappointment, frustration, revenge etc but some understandable reason making it easy to realise that the perpetrators have been under a great deal of stress and have been led to commit such a crime.

The exception to the rule is the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in 1996. When I read the account of it, it is really about nothing else than the sheer pleasure of shooting people. There is no motivation, no remorse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Ar...28Australia%29
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Port Arthur massacre

One thing which really caught my attention was that in all but one of the massacres there is some factor in play leading to such a horrendous crime; Disappointment, frustration, revenge etc but some understandable reason making it easy to realise that the perpetrators have been under a great deal of stress and have been led to commit such a crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Ar...28Australia%29[/QUOTE]

Not for me mate!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Arthur massacre

Originally Posted by THR
Given the past few days tragic news from Finland where there was a massacre at a school, I have been browsing the history of many of the massacres of the recent years.

The exception to the rule is the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in 1996. When I read the account of it, it is really about nothing else than the sheer pleasure of shooting people. There is no motivation, no remorse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Ar...28Australia%29
Martin Bryant at Port Arthur had serious mental problems when he went on the rampage. Having known people that were involved in the aftermath I've heard first-hand, and read, a lot of the background. There were several triggers before he committed the atrocity, and he had delusions of being persecuted which led to him wanting to be noticed (amongst other things).