Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pop ups and spyware downunder

Pop ups and spyware downunder

Old May 10th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Pop ups and spyware downunder

Hi everyone,
I am having real trouble with my pc. It seems to be overloaded with spyware. I have downloaded the microsoft anti spy and yahoo tool bar but as soon as it gets rid of them - they are back for more (the ringtones are driving me nuts ) Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
Debs
Old May 10th 2005, 11:44 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pop ups and spyware downunder

Originally Posted by debsy
Hi everyone,
I am having real trouble with my pc. It seems to be overloaded with spyware. I have downloaded the microsoft anti spy and yahoo tool bar but as soon as it gets rid of them - they are back for more (the ringtones are driving me nuts ) Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
Debs
Adaware by Lavasoft is a good un (and free !!) also another good un is Spybot search and destroy (again free).
May also be worth downloading AVG anti virus - a free and and very good anti virus application.

Good luck !!!!
Old May 10th 2005, 12:01 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Adaware by Lavasoft is a good un (and free !!) also another good un is Spybot search and destroy (again free).
May also be worth downloading AVG anti virus - a free and and very good anti virus application.

Good luck !!!!
- by the way you can download adaware at www.lavasoft.com and then into downloads on the left hand side and you'll see the free one.

- spybot search & destroy is on www.downloads.com

also get yourself a personal firewall like "Zone Labs Integrity Client" which is also free

And get Firefox web browser which is free too that will also help .

Disconnect from the internet
Clean the PC with the spyware tools (run both of them above they both find different things)
Install the firewall above
restart the internet and Train the firewall to let your programs you want to use it through, itrwill ask you ""so-and-so.exe" wants to access the internet ? yes/no" etc... then if you see something you dont recognise.exe you can google it and fin dout what it is.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:06 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Pop ups and spyware downunder

Originally Posted by wargod

Good luck !!!!
I use both of these as they both find different things. Run Spybot and let that fix everything and then run Adaware and I am sure you will get more come up. Adaware finds a lot of 'cookies' etc but they are both good and worth having.

R.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carruss
I use both of these as they both find different things. Run Spybot and let that fix everything and then run Adaware and I am sure you will get more come up. Adaware finds a lot of 'cookies' etc but they are both good and worth having.

R.
Thanks everyone. Will be busy tomorrow
Old May 10th 2005, 12:55 pm
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by debsy
Thanks everyone. Will be busy tomorrow
Stop using Internet Explorer and get Firefox from www.mozilla.org. Not quite as fast but more stable, no popups and safe as houses.
Old May 10th 2005, 1:39 pm
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Pop ups and spyware downunder

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Stop using Internet Explorer and get Firefox from www.mozilla.org. Not quite as fast but more stable, no popups and safe as houses.
Firefox is good, but nothing is safe it seems:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4532127.stm
Old May 11th 2005, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

Use this program, stops the crap being loaded

http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10372089.html

and its free
Old May 11th 2005, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Yep..AdAware is great

SS