Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool salt chlorinator/filter

Pool salt chlorinator/filter

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all
Default Pool salt chlorinator/filter

How long do you put your pool chlorinator on for?and what times?had mine on for 8 hours a day but it doesn't seem enough because chlorine levels are always low?I'm new to this swimming pool ownership!!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool salt chlorinator/filter

Originally Posted by mrs i
How long do you put your pool chlorinator on for?and what times?had mine on for 8 hours a day but it doesn't seem enough because chlorine levels are always low?I'm new to this swimming pool ownership!!
could be one of several things, including dirty chlorinator cells, low cynuric acid levels, low salt content

i`d suggest taking a sample of the water to your local pool shop

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 23rd 2012 at 7:24 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Or the dial on your chlorinator is turned down low (winter mode).
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

I think 10-12 hours a day for summer. Pool shops very helpful though, you may need to add few bags of salt. Mine on in the middle of the night though as electricity x4 between 2-10pm! Where are you? Sydney not so hot this summer :-(
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough

Hi

Ours comes on twice a day, three hours each time in summer, two hours each time the rest of the year.

We do keep the chlorinator clean, and we're on 'tarriff 33' for electricity (the reason it comes on twice a day year round.

We've had to use more 'stuff' from pool shop over these last two summers because of all the rain we've had. Fingers crossed, it hasn't gone green this year (yet).

Our problem is keeping the leaves (from our neighbours' trees) in check.

So if anyone has any recommendations for a pool vacuum we'd appreciate it.

MG
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:01 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs i
Or low pH.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Thanks everyone,I will take a sample to the pool shop x
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

When you get there, make sure you know exact size of pool and which chlorinator you have - they will work everything out for you.

MG, I have a creepy crawly but if leaves are big it doesn't pick them up and just gets jammed up. Before we had 2 massive trees cut down I used the pool blanket, this made a massive difference and worked out for us as pool rarely used during the week.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

If you chlorine levels are low, the Chlorinator may not be able to catch up.
You may need to "shock" the system with a Super Chlorinator ( Powder Addition )
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PENNY45
When you get there, make sure you know exact size of pool and which chlorinator you have - they will work everything out for you.

MG, I have a creepy crawly but if leaves are big it doesn't pick them up and just gets jammed up. Before we had 2 massive trees cut down I used the pool blanket, this made a massive difference and worked out for us as pool rarely used during the week.
Thanks Penny,

We started off with a maxi-vac, little roller vac but it didn't like 'climbing' too far up walls. Now we have a creepy crawly, and it's not good at picking up the leaves from our neighbours' trees.

Not that i'm complaining about their trees, it's lovely to be surrounded by them without them taking up space in our yard

Think we'll have to go back to the maxi-vac and just give him a hand with the pool walls.

We have a pool cover but I never use it now. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but too often the pool was going green under the pool cover and I just stopped using it. No more green pool

I do think we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for a new maxi-vac.

MG
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost
Thanks Penny

Think we'll have to go back to the maxi-vac and just give him a hand with the pool walls.

I do think we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for a new maxi-vac.

MG
MG, I'm not an expert by any means, but have had a pool for 10 years now and IMHO if sides need cleaning it's due to some imbalance in the chemicals. If all is well and good the creepy crawly shouldn't have to get any 'stuff' off the walls, just the debris from the bottom. Are you running pump enough hours of the day? Did have to 'shock' it last summer as was green but turned out needed new chlorinator - a snip at $900!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

preeti22 is an unknown quantity at this point

to keep your pool water clean an automatic pool chlorinator and sand filter are best options. run your pump daily for 3 to 4 hours a day and clean sand filter every weeks. automatic salt water chlorinators do its job best if your keep your filter clean keep your pump on for 3-4 hours daily for proper filtration.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We have a polaris- expensive but very good.
Backwash your filter regularly and if your pool sides are going green, brush them down, add an algicide to the water and hoover up the debris. To keep pool sparkling add a hychlor block to the skimmer basket- if it is a saltwater pool.

Last year was awful- had to add so much to the pool it cost a fortune. I have a cover on atm, but it will come off in a few weeks, to give me a couple of weeks to get the balance of the water right. (I tend to neglect it in winter, though I do run the filter for 3-4hours daily and backwash once a month.)Once I uncover it, I get the pool guys in to check everything is working and throw in the right chemicals to kick start it.

I usually go to the pool shop every two weeks in summer, so I can keep on top of the situation. Pool filter is on twice a day for 6 hours firstly and then 3 hours in the evening. It isn't on in the afternoon, as I'm likely to be in the water!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Hi

I have had a salt pool for 2 years now.

In winter we have pump and creepy crawly on for 1 hour day (in winter mode) dont add anything and backwash when pool gets overfull with rain-water. Water crystal clear.

In summer, we have pump on for 5-6 hours daily, test water every 2-3 weeks and add necessary chems and salt and backwash every 2-3 weeks also- water crystal clear.

Imho if you get water tested regulary and keep levels constant the pool takes care of itself, hope this helps
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Or low pH.
may need a few hundred Ml's of HCL acid. If the pool is not balanced from a pH perspective the Chlorine will not be very effective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.