Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ponging back - private health insurance question

Ponging back - private health insurance question

Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future
Default Ponging back - private health insurance question

We have left Australia at the end of June to go "home" again and spend time with the families only to find that we don't fit in here anymore, hate the winters and miss our friends and lifestyle. A lot has changed since we left here over six years ago and now we plan to pong back some time between March and June next year (depending on jobs etc), luckily we got a RRV visa so no issues there.

Just wondering how it works with the private health insurance (have been with Medibank Private) as we had cancelled this when we left, but are aware that you've got to pay extra if you only get it after the age of 31 (we are in our mid-forties).

Has anyone had the same issue and is it possible to avoid being charged extra despite us having had it for six years ? As we are not counting as new arrivals compared to when you immigrate the first time I'm not sure how it works ?

Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ponging back - private health insurance question

You'll be fine - there's provision in the rules for breaks in cover. See http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/heal...ealthcover.htm
Old Dec 11th 2012, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ponging back - private health insurance question

Originally Posted by louie
You'll be fine - there's provision in the rules for breaks in cover. See http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/heal...ealthcover.htm
Thanks so much, I didn't know that. You made my day!