Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poms in Oz/NZ question??

Wikiposts

Poms in Oz/NZ question??

Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We, thats us plus 3 sons 18 10 and 7, went back in February for a month. Off Peak seats are cheaper but at vital parts of the school year either beginning of year or end of term so it was impossible for us to take advantage of off peak because of exams. Eldest darling (umm) finished school last year tho so off we set. Rough breakdown of costs.

Fares $7400, taxes on tickets $960, travel ins $450 car hire $1200, luckily accom was free. Spending $6000, that sounds a lot but remember that only buys just over the 2K.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We left some money in a Uk account for spendo if we go back. We are a family of 4 almost 5 and will feel obliged to go back next year to do the rounds with the new infant because they are all so bloody mean they won't come out here. It really grieves me - I have no desire to go back whatsoever, yeah it would be nice to say hi to people for a couple of days but then I know I'd just want to be back home again and the thought of what I could do with about $8000, especially since we will be destitute this time next year, the more I think about it the more I think why the hell should we.

Am I being horrible - will I regret it if my mum doesn't see the kids and newbie before she meets her maker??

Di, have you thought of you paying for her to come over rather than drag the family back there? I posted a thread the other day, tickets FROM UK to Aus & back, but bought in Aus, for $1200. That particular deal was only for the next 2 months, but there might possibly be something else available next year that might suit when it gets closer to the time? Or is it not an option for whatever reason?
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:07 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Tried working?

whos that aimed at ???
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pants
whos that aimed at ???
Your impecunious mate.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:12 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We left some money in a Uk account for spendo if we go back. We are a family of 4 almost 5 and will feel obliged to go back next year to do the rounds with the new infant because they are all so bloody mean they won't come out here. It really grieves me - I have no desire to go back whatsoever, yeah it would be nice to say hi to people for a couple of days but then I know I'd just want to be back home again and the thought of what I could do with about $8000, especially since we will be destitute this time next year, the more I think about it the more I think why the hell should we.

Am I being horrible - will I regret it if my mum doesn't see the kids and newbie before she meets her maker??

No Di

Don't think your being horrible at all..this is what I mean about having the money to do it especially when you don't have the funds or else you know that money can be spent on something more needed.

I would try do what Mrs Dagboy suggested.....get her over here it's got to be cheaper in the long run !!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:13 pm
Live the moment

Your impecunious mate.

and your not then??
Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:26 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poms in Oz/NZ question??

I've been thinking about this too.

I can see myself coming back for my brothers wedding in a couple of years.
I think I will leave my UK account open and stick a few thousand £'s in an ING account and use this to pay for everything.
Should hopefully cover the costs and I can forget about the cash in the UK.

TT

My friend here in OZ ( she's a pom) has told me that she is hoping to go back home to Manchester for a family wedding next year but it is already worrying her about how they will be able to afford it...2 adults, 2 children (3years and 18mnths.)

How can you just come up with or save perhaps $15,000+?( for a family???) for a trip or for events like this??This is of course with 1 years notice.

Has anyone already in Oz been able to go back home for a holiday to see rellies etc??Does anyone intend doing so and what bank have they robbed to be able to afford to as my friend would be very grateful to know !!!Any answers???

Without refinancing the home that is !!!

Has anyone due out here had thought's about it??

Cheers

Pants

Old Apr 19th 2004, 10:51 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

and your not then??
Nup - quantum fluctuation willing. For the price your mate could have a stereoscopic broadband virtual reality web cam system online for years. Just needs virtual Walkers Chips.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nup - quantum fluctuation willing. For the price your mate could have a stereoscopic broadband virtual reality web cam system online for years. Just needs virtual Walkers Chips.
Meg, havent they been monitoring you again? You need to take the blue pills this week .
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:55 pm
Live the moment

lol..!!!!

:scared: :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:57 pm
Banned

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Meg, havent they been monitoring you again? You need to take the blue pills this week .
Yet to be smoked out.

Why move ~ 100 kg x 1000 g/kg x 6.022x10^23 baryons (rest mass 938 Mev) around the world when electrons (rest mass 0.511 Mev = ~ 1/1838th the baryon mass) can be moved at a good fraction of the speed of light and photons (energy ~ 1 ev) near or at the speed of light.

It gets worse. To move 100 kg of baryons from one side of the earth to the other with current technology requires the simultaneous movement of ~ 50 times the mass in the form of a motive machine and fuel.

Get Real : Virtual Reality Aparatus
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:59 pm
Live the moment

Yet to be smoked out.

Why move ~ 100 kg x 1000 g/kg x 6.022x10^23 baryons (rest mass 938 Mev) around the world when electrons (rest mass 0.511 Mev = ~ 1/1838th the baryon mass) can be moved at a good fraction of the speed of light and photons (energy ~ 1 ev) near or at the speed of light.

It gets worse. To move 100 kg of baryons from one side of the earth to the other with current technology requires the simultaneous movement of ~ 50 times the mass in the form of a motive machine and fuel.

Get Real : Virtual Reality Aparatus

out of my world mate !!!!

good luck with whoever understands.....lol
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

mampq is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree Pants it would cost a great deal of money for a trip to the UK. $15000 would be a nice little holiday but who can afford that, on the poor salaries paid in Aus. Mind you a i bet a lot don't pay tax!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:11 am
Live the moment

Originally posted by mampq
i agree Pants it would cost a great deal of money for a trip to the UK. $15000 would be a nice little holiday but who can afford that, on the poor salaries paid in Aus. Mind you a i bet a lot don't pay tax!!!!

Hello matey

Good to see you again. Got your pm. Will update you soon.

You see I just think many expats who have not been to OZ but still emigrate here will be surprised at how expensive it will be for a trip back home.!!and where the hell do you find that money !!

anyway mrs good to see your about again !!

Cheers
P x
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Di, have you thought of you paying for her to come over rather than drag the family back there? I posted a thread the other day, tickets FROM UK to Aus & back, but bought in Aus, for $1200. That particular deal was only for the next 2 months, but there might possibly be something else available next year that might suit when it gets closer to the time? Or is it not an option for whatever reason?

Not an option I'm afraid, my mum is convinced that travelling any further than 20 miles at a time will kill her off, she's not being mean I know, it's just her age