Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our very own Stuart Littles'

Our very own Stuart Littles'

Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our very own Stuart Littles'

Since arriving here 9 months ago we have had more interactions with wildlife than our entire time in the UK. From native cockraoches to wetas, wasps in our eaves and cicadas.

We now seem to be the adopted family to Staurt Little and a couple of his brothers and sisters. First evidence was a couple of little droppings in a built in wardrobe, so we've scoured the house for more and found some on a shelf and on the pantry floor !!!

Youngest daughter wants to keep them as pet !! Rob wanted to get a couple of cats from the SPCA. Me..... I just bought the poison and laid the dishes.

Any suggestions? Don't think I'll sleep tonight.

Gill
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Checked all the dishes of poison, no evidence they've been touched.
Does having a cat really keep mice away?

Gill
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Gill
Yes it does.

Mind, they like to bring the mice in to show you what clever puddies they are before killing them.

There was an old derelict site several hundred yards from us which has been dozed for rebuilding and all the little meeces that lived there have packed their bags looking for new homes. Our cats are having a field day.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:41 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you need a cat, get yourself down to the petstore they sell the most gourgeous pedigree kittens in stores over here ... also keep the spiders at bay
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Cestrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our very own Stuart Littles'

There's an electric gizmo at:

http://www.pestfree.com.au/pestfreedomestic.htm

- but don't know how effective it is.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

We've had mice in nearly every room in our house!Got the pest controllers in to sort it at the same time that they were spraying the house against spiders. All quiet for a few days then one afternoon Mr Bella spies a little mouse peering round a bookshelf. Then I saw one race across the kitchen, then more droppings. Particularly upset by the droppings on our bed base & on the cupboard in our bed room!

So, as the pest controller guarantees their work for a year, back they came. More stuff down. All quiet for a few days. Then Mr Bella watches a mouse meander across the kitchen floor cleaning its whiskers as it goes!

I think they are a fact of life & you just have to keep on trying.

Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks !!
A trip to the SPCA is looking closer.

Gill
Old Apr 18th 2004, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a problem with a mouse our cats had brought in, but
which then managed to escape before they killed it.

Later on we discovered that it had made a lovely home for its
self in one of our boxes in the loft, chewing up things to make
nice soft bedding and somehow climbing down into the utility
room to get food (how's this for irony, its favourite food was the
hard cat biscuits!!).

I set several traps and baited them with various things
(cheese, chocolate chip cookes etc) and the one that did the trick
was .... chocolate chip cookies, as recommended by a colleague!!

All the best with it any way.

Karen
Old Apr 18th 2004, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

My friend and I sat a couple of weeks ago having a coffee at the kitchen table- as you do! We heard a scratching noise - "Oh my god a mouse" - we live next to open fields - so cannot complain (although never found anyother evidence in 9 years here. Any way - listened a while longer & decided it was too BIG to be a mouse - "oh my god it is a RAT" at whcih point both sets of our gs were lifted off the floor - between screams. Then brave me decides to to take a look at where the noise was coming from - the kick boards under the cupboard next to the cooker. I was half expecting a pair of eyes to look back at me!!! Very VERY carefully I took off the board - could see diddly squat. Could still hear this frantic scratching - so took the saucepan drawer out of the bottom of the range cooker & out flew a starling - S**T nearly wet myself! After we had finished rolling around on the floor laughing we tried to find where it had got in - still a mystery - the outside of the house is sealed up as far as we could see, at least it got out in time to miss the roast chicken that was just about to be cooked for dinner that night!!!!!!!

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:12 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Checked all the dishes of poison, no evidence they've been touched.

Gill
Yes, having cats really works. My two do a great rodent eviction job - my very own 'Weapons of Mouse Destruction'

And they're great to cuddle if you come home feeling really miserable, too....

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Apr 18th 2004 at 6:15 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Still doesn't look as if the poison has been touched.

What's this dammed mouse playing at?

Gill...still nervous
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:50 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Pollster's Patented Humane Mouse Trap

Guaranteed to really work...

Get one bucket and smear bottom of it with Peanut butter, add wild bird food and chocolate if available.

Place bucket in area where evidence of mouse has been found. Clean away all other food sources by putting them in tupperware boxes etc.

Using household objects build set of steps to rim of bucket.

Retire to your bed or couch.

Mousey mousey smells the food, runs up the 'stairs', leans over sniffing until.... he falls in!

Can't get out because of the sheer sides.

Once you have him you can release him miles away or feed him to your snakes or do whatever else you want to do.

When I first did this trap, my hubby was rolling on the floor with laughter because he didn't believe it would catch anything.

Two hours later he was laughing on the other side of his face as I had caught both mice who had evaded the traps he had set and had been keeping us awake for about a week.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I agree that the bucket thing will work, I found a dead one in my bin at work - couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from - yuk I thought it was my feet. Lord know how he got in, must be supermouse or something but he must have had a heart attack and snuffed it.

We have had some at home under the sink so finally got round to buying a trap and put a bit of bread smeared with honey on it (after my hubby had managed to trap his finger on first attempt).
Anyway a couple of hours later I checked and there was a dead little mouse . Quite barbaric but I just wanted rid of it!!!

Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2004, 3:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe buy some snakes to eat the mice.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

It's looking nearer and nearer to getting a cat.

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.