Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poms or not - that is the question!?

Poms or not - that is the question!?

Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:37 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Poms or not - that is the question!?

Just wondered are us Scottish folk also classed as Poms!?
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poms or not - that is the question!?

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Umm, there was a discussion about this a while ago (but the search button is now useless....)
I THINK you will be in Oz, cos often they(as I) don't know the difference...
But 'officially' I think it's only the english.

I did find this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=pom

I think the outcome of the more recent thread about this was that it's pretty sure it comes from pomegranate, and therefore referring to the colour.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Yup.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Poms or POHMs (prisoners of his majesty). Referred to a whole group of petty thieves and Political dissidents from all over Britain and Ireland who were first deported in the reign of King George the third in an attempt to rid the realm of the 'Criminal Classes.
Try reading 'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Hughes.

Yes you will Qualify.

G
Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:50 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Poms or POHMs (prisoners of his majesty). Referred to a whole group of petty thieves and Political dissidents from all over Britain and Ireland who were first deported in the reign of King George the third in an attempt to rid the realm of the 'Criminal Classes.
Try reading 'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Hughes.

Yes you will Qualify.

G

Please don't get this Prisoners of Her majesty started again - it is derived from pomegranate - immigrant
Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:51 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

You wish.............................................. .....

Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:57 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kentish Man
You wish.............................................. .....

sweaties you are called down ere
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

ADELE & NIGE is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst on holiday in Adelaide 2 years ago i read somewhere
POM = PEOPLE OF MEANS i.e aperson who is well off
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ADELE & NIGE
Whilst on holiday in Adelaide 2 years ago i read somewhere
POM = PEOPLE OF MEANS i.e aperson who is well off
I bet there are a lot who wish it did.

G
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:54 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Nope.

"Poms" here with me are usually English people - the only time you may get called a pom is if someone mistakes your accent for being English (if you've got a strong Scottish accent , you'll probably find you never get called a pom .. just Jock). Been here in Aus almost 7 years - and in that time I've been called a pom maybe twice - I've a weird accent, neither here, nor there , obviously it isn't English too most peoples ears - I get called a lot of things lol, but never pom/English)

It's not that derogatory, I tend to use the word myself in speaking when referring to an English person.

Depends on the way it is used. If on the odd occasion that you may get called a pom - just put them right .. calling them a kiwi usually does the trick

Maybe a Scottish person in Aus can answer you (but being a non English person in Aus.. Welsh - I can answer you with my own personal experience , no I do not get called a pom, and yes I call English people around me Poms, but never have I or any Australian I know calls an Irish, Scottish or Welsh person a pom (only by mistaken identity ) not unless I want a thump that is,lol

Anyway I have personally found that the word pom, whether it's right or wrong , usually gets referred to English people... like I said I've only been called a pom about twice in 7 years.

cheers
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here a year, and have never, to our faces at any rate, been referred to as poms. Actually been mistaken for German more than English, bizarrely enough. Most people we have met seem to be able to differentiate the Scottish accent, or indeed Irish or Welsh.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:29 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Grayling is right, sorry.

There were originally settlers in Aus before it started to be used as a place for convicts to be sent.... Prisoners of His Majesty... so it was a derogatory term for the prisoners... especially when they were freed, and for their kids.

Other people since, didn`t know this and just related it to Pomegranets, cos it started with Pom, and sounded like Pommie.

So essentially both are right.... the original meaning (when no-one would ever have heard of a North-Indian Himalayan fruit like a pomegranate in colonial Australia... and if they had would never have seen one), and the simplified pomegranate meaning, due to the colour some British ppl may go when in the Oz sun... similar to what the Afrikaaners in the Transvaal called the English soldiers (and then all British ppl) ... "Rooinekke" (Rednecks).

"Why are the English called Poms or Pommies?

"Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. However the origination of this word is a little unclear. "Pommy" might have been based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant." Also a possibility is since Australia was originally a hold for convicts from England, the letters P.O.H.M. (Property of her majesty) were printed on their clothing and then began to apply to all immigrants from England. Interestingly enough, the Oxford English definition of POM stands for Prisoner of Mother England."

here`s a funny page:

http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/poms.htm

Just as an offshoot, it may surprise most to know that America was the first place that Britain sent convicts to.... Australia was only used once the American colonists had their little war of independance.

http://www.genealogy-quest.com/colle...lconvicts.html

http://www.aussieinamerica.com/geography/convicts.htm
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Stormz

There were originally settlers in Aus before it started to be used as a place for convicts to be sent.... Prisoners of His Majesty... so it was a derogatory term for the prisoners... especially when they were freed, and for their kids.

Other people since, didn`t know this and just related it to Pomegranets, cos it started with Pom, and sounded like Pommie.

So essentially both are right.... the original meaning (when no-one would ever have heard of a North-Indian Himalayan fruit like a pomegranate in colonial Australia... and if they had would never have seen one), and the simplified pomegranate meaning, due to the colour some British ppl may go when in the Oz sun... similar to what the Afrikaaners in the Transvaal called the English soldiers (and then all British ppl) ... "Rooinekke" (Rednecks).

"Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. However the origination of this word is a little unclear. "Pommy" might have been based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant." Also a possibility is since Australia was originally a hold for convicts from England, the letters P.O.H.M. (Property of her majesty) were printed on their clothing and then began to apply to all immigrants from England. Interestingly enough, the Oxford English definition of POM stands for Prisoner of Mother England."

here`s a funny page:

Just as an offshoot, it may surprise most to know that America was the first place that Britain sent convicts to.... Australia was only used once the American colonists had their little war of independance.

I've always know it to be prisoners of his majesty, but I didn't want to argue with Jayr... his thingamajig avatar is boxing ..(what is that by the way Jayr?)

In "today's world" - ie the world around me here .. The word pom is used for English people, Myself and most scot.Irish and Welsh people do not get called poms. I've only ever been called a pom about twice in almost 7 years... and you try calling a scots, Irish or Welsh "man" a pom - good luck!

cheers
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

To the average ozzie yes but the scot bloke I work with says not.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stormz

here`s a funny page:

This point keeps coming up time and time again.

pommy
noun (Derogatory) 1. an English person. --adjective 2. English. Also, Pommy, Pom, pom. [probably from pomegranate, rhyming slang for `immigrant'. Definitely not from the purported acronym POME, supposedly standing for Prisoner Of Mother England]

From the Macquarie Dictionary book of slang

http://www.macquariedictionary.com.a...t/slang-p.html

So it's not POME or POHM or anything like that but just rhyming slang.

My source, the Macquarie Dictionary, what is your source for
POHM - australian beers.com?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.