Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A poms eye view of an Ozzie

A poms eye view of an Ozzie

Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:14 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default A poms eye view of an Ozzie

Not a very happy Pom, but had to laugh as I agreed with a lot of it. Funny the things you make a mental note of and then never think about until someone else brings it up and then I think yes they do that or say that.

http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/...E?opendocument

I like the one about the need for approval, I really do think Australians need to feel they are recognised. My friend who is Oz agreed whole heartedly.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:27 pm
WBB

Default Re: A poms eye view of an Ozzie

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Not a very happy Pom, but had to laugh as I agreed with a lot of it. Funny the things you make a mental note of and then never think about until someone else brings it up and then I think yes they do that or say that.

I like the one about the need for approval, I really do think Australians need to feel they are recognised. My friend who is Oz agreed whole heartedly.
oh no!!!!!

tell me the lack of a good curry in aus is not true, i could not live without my weekly madras.

Old Oct 18th 2003, 2:02 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by welshboybilly
oh no!!!!!

tell me the lack of a good curry in aus is not true, i could not live without my weekly madras.
Do not want to be the one to tell you Billy boy but the Ozzy dish is a meat pie with a blob of mushy peas and tomato suace...on top of it. Hot hot currys never got a good one when I was there. Lots of indians but I think the local restaurants tuned it down for the ozzy pallet.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 3:39 pm
WBB

Do not want to be the one to tell you Billy boy but the Ozzy dish is a meat pie with a blob of mushy peas and tomato suace...on top of it. Hot hot currys never got a good one when I was there. Lots of indians but I think the local restaurants tuned it down for the ozzy pallet.

looks like i will have to search hard when i get there for a good indian/chinese.

cant go more than a week without a good curry, they are addictive you know.

Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:26 pm
Home in 2010.

looks like i will have to search hard when i get there for a good indian/chinese.

cant go more than a week without a good curry, they are addictive you know.

I love a good tikka masala or a rogan josh but really never found a good Indian outside of Sydney. Before I left Sydney ther was a couple of Indian walk in buy, walk out type of joint open up and they did the best samosas I ever tasted. Did manae to get some nice currys in there but because I was so despearte to get a samosa or bajee down my neck never got to the currys was always stuffed. Oxford street in Sydney is the best place for an Indian take away if you are heading that way.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:29 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

oh no!!!!!

Oh Sh one T No curry must have me curry with u billy boy curried sheep is wonderful. sounds like a possible nich in the market.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Not alot different in NZ! Just read an article in the TV Guide. 5 Brit scientists set to NZ to hunt for gold in tough conditions. Question: What were your impressions of the Franz Josef Glacier? Question: So you would like to return to New Zealand?
Pretty much every celeb from overseas is required to state the NZ is the best place to visit in the world and would like to return/live here.
One guy in the letters page had the temerity to complain that NZ TV was crap. He was told in no uncertain terms that....."Having just spent three weeks examining TV in England I believe NZ is well served by its channels." And this was NOT tongue in cheek! Coming from a country that has Paul Holmes as its highest paid TV 'personality' you can only wonder at that comment . PH was the guy who described Kofi Anaan as 'a cheeky darkie' and 'why should we be told by a Ghanaian what to do?' on National TV and Radio.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep curry here is not that same. I eat Thai instead and you cannot get Thai in the UK like you can here. A lot of places do not hold back on the chilli.

Most curry here is served cafeteria style. I get 2 meat curries and a vege curry with rice for $7.50 at my local North Indian Diner. The spice is very toned down.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeepers !

Well of course Australia does not have the same curries as there are in England for the very obvious reason that we do not have 12 million Indians and Pakistanis running around either.

Mind you - should you be going to England for a decent Thai takeaway you are going to be bitterly dissapointed as well.

Australia is NOT England you know - vive la difference.

~Sean

Originally posted by bondipom
Yep curry here is not that same. I eat Thai instead and you cannot get Thai in the UK like you can here. A lot of places do not hold back on the chilli.

Most curry here is served cafeteria style. I get 2 meat curries and a vege curry with rice for $7.50 at my local North Indian Diner. The spice is very toned down.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Indian was popular in the 1970's and 80's. S.E. Asian is more popular than Indian these days.

Also, prepared curry powders and pastes and fresh Asian veg has made cooking Indian at home much easier and more accessible. For example: Sharwood's
Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:10 am
WBB

Originally posted by Megalania
Indian was popular in the 1970's and 80's. S.E. Asian is more popular than Indian these days.

Also, prepared curry powders and pastes and fresh Asian veg has made cooking Indian at home much easier and more accessible. For example: Sharwood's

its just not the same though is it.

Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

its just not the same though is it.

I might write to my old curry house in London and ask the owner to send me the recipes...open a place in Adelaide and call it the English Curry House...i'd make a killing..LOL
Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:29 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I might write to my old curry house in London and ask the owner to send me the recipes...open a place in Adelaide and call it the English Curry House...i'd make a killing..LOL
Wouldn't worry, our mate has been in Perth for 3 years now and has given us a run-down of all the curry houses and found a couple of crackers - he's dead fussy. Should be the same for the rest of Oz.
Still haven't found naan breds in the supermarket, so have been using chapatis - try putting a layer of the meat/veg curry on the chapati then some greek yoghurt and top off with mango chutney and roll it up - need to wear a bib though!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:27 am
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by SeanH
Jeepers !

Australia is NOT England you know - vive la difference.

~Sean
You don't say..what a dissapointment...
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:51 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmm........mushy peas.....(dribbling like homer simpson..)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.