Reload this Page >

Pommies Beware!! Pls Read This

Pommies Beware!! Pls Read This

Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

krest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pommies Beware!! Pls Read This

HI,

my sis and bruv in law have been in perth less than 2 wks after emigrating from the uk. all was going well my sis got a job in the first wk as a PA, and bruv got one 2 days later with a construction company, they move into their house tomo which is nice, but just as all is going well, major set back!!!

they went for a drive to the royal yacht club and had lunch with their landlord and on the way home stopped to look at cars as they need to buy one. the hire car was locked and alarmed, but on their return found that thieves had used a screwdriver to remove the rubber seal and remove glass then steal my sis bag with camera, new mobile to contact us, purse with all cards, passport with visa, and driving licence. my sis is devastated and disheartened at the move they have made now. but luckily all cards have been stopped, and id cant be used as photo on them, but disappointing to know that thieves are callous as ever over there too.

any info on help that my sis may need to get new licence and passport and visa etc?????

SO PLEASE ALL BEWARE OF THEIVES AS I WOULDNT WANT ANY OF YOUR FAMILIES BACK HERE WORRYING LIKE MINE ARE RIGHT NOW, BUT AT LEAST THEY WERENT HURT WHICH IS THE MAIN THING!!

CHEERS
Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:40 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pommies Beware!! Pls Read This

Originally posted by krest
HI,

my sis and bruv in law have been in perth less than 2 wks after emigrating from the uk. all was going well my sis got a job in the first wk as a PA, and bruv got one 2 days later with a construction company, they move into their house tomo which is nice, but just as all is going well, major set back!!!

they went for a drive to the royal yacht club and had lunch with their landlord and on the way home stopped to look at cars as they need to buy one. the hire car was locked and alarmed, but on their return found that thieves had used a screwdriver to remove the rubber seal and remove glass then steal my sis bag with camera, new mobile to contact us, purse with all cards, passport with visa, and driving licence. my sis is devastated and disheartened at the move they have made now. but luckily all cards have been stopped, and id cant be used as photo on them, but disappointing to know that thieves are callous as ever over there too.

any info on help that my sis may need to get new licence and passport and visa etc?????

SO PLEASE ALL BEWARE OF THEIVES AS I WOULDNT WANT ANY OF YOUR FAMILIES BACK HERE WORRYING LIKE MINE ARE RIGHT NOW, BUT AT LEAST THEY WERENT HURT WHICH IS THE MAIN THING!!

CHEERS

Really sorry to hear that your sis has had such a bad time. Unfortunately, this sort of crime is rife world wide and i feel that it is just a matter of being cautious where ever you are. I hope it doesn't taint her view of Oz too much. Please wish her and her husband luck for the future.

Sally
Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

krest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cheers

cheers sally nice to know there are nice people there to make her feel homely too!!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 11:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hope things get better for your family soon - unfortunately crime is one of those things you cannot leave behind.
Salutory lesson for all of us maybe - take the same precautions whichever side of the world we are on.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunatly theft from cars and burglary and one of the only growth industries in Perth. Last time I was there took a hired car to the beach, left the glove box open to show it was empty, left the rear seats down so they could see the hatch was empty and they still broke into it. !

Hope they get things sorted it is real downer when these things happen.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

What ! They left their bag, camera, mobile phone, purse, credit cards, driving licence, and passports in the car and they wonder why it got broken into !!!

Exactly what has this got to do with emigration to Australia ?
Leave that lot in a vehicle almost anywhere in the world and you are asking for them to be taken. It's people like this that keep thieves in business and causes the rest of us to pay inflated insurance premiums.

I feel sorry for your sister but surely you must accept that a theft under those circumstances is inevitiable.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Idiots breaking into cars here is very common. They broke into my husbands ute, took all his work papers? I mean they are totally useless to anybody but him! Funny bit tho was they also took a video recorder which was going in for repair. Insurance company gave us a new one, even tho we put it in writing that it was broken.

One thing that really caught me out was stuff being nicked from around the house, it has happened to us dozens of times. Unbelievable, shoes, washing, bikes and heaven help you if you leave the roller door up, they just walk in and take it as if its K-Mart.

Big market here in stolen tools too. In our local hardware store last sunday, woman loaded heap of power tools into back of car, then drove straight through the Boom Gates. Stupid c** had her number plate taken by about 6 people.

My best one tho was a OAP type about 70 in a nightclub!!! He sidled up dancing, stuck his ankle through my bag, and started dancing off with it. Then to my horror as a bouncer grabbed him my bag flew open and a box of tampax flew around the dance floor.

:scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Dotty!Guess that shows that you get embarrassing incidents both sides of the world too!!!!!! Red faces all round.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Idiots breaking into cars here is very common. They broke into my husbands ute, took all his work papers? I mean they are totally useless to anybody but him! Funny bit tho was they also took a video recorder which was going in for repair. Insurance company gave us a new one, even tho we put it in writing that it was broken.

One thing that really caught me out was stuff being nicked from around the house, it has happened to us dozens of times. Unbelievable, shoes, washing, bikes and heaven help you if you leave the roller door up, they just walk in and take it as if its K-Mart.

Big market here in stolen tools too. In our local hardware store last sunday, woman loaded heap of power tools into back of car, then drove straight through the Boom Gates. Stupid c** had her number plate taken by about 6 people.

My best one tho was a OAP type about 70 in a nightclub!!! He sidled up dancing, stuck his ankle through my bag, and started dancing off with it. Then to my horror as a bouncer grabbed him my bag flew open and a box of tampax flew around the dance floor.

:scared:
LOL
Dotty, that was the funniest incident I have read for ages, good to start the day off with a Laugh, - although you probably didn't find it funny at the time.
Best one I heard was from Newastle (Self-proclaimed Car crime capital of Europe)
Apparently the Police built a "Car-Trap" it was a Car that would somehow (can't remember how) trap the thief inside after he broke in.
You guessed it, the thieves stole it after a couple of weeks....Just to prove they could!!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of weeks ago a 67 year old lady was attacked at her husbands graveside, whilst she was tending his flowers. Broke her fingers and stole her handbag.
I went to work the next week, and a friend of mine had been to tend to her Mothers graveside (not at the same cemetary) and had her bag stolen.

I have seriously thought about not having a handbag anymore. I am not sure why we have to carry so much around with us. My bag is full of my worldly posessions. I haven't quite got used to the thought of wearing a bum bag for my lipstick and my money. Why I carry everything else with me, I really don't know.

My Grandmother who is 97, lives in Birmingham. She has been broken into 11 times. Twice while she has been in bed. Luckily she has never been hurt.
My Mother lives in Spain, and they have been done twice.

It is no different wherever you are in the world. The problem is, they don't give the correct punishment for the crime.

Sue
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry about what has happened to your sister.
Please dont take this the wrong way BUT ???? what would possess anyone in any country to leave any contents in your car.
This is not a negative to Oz surely ? this is the way of the world.

Best wishes
Liz and Mark
Brisbane Oct 03
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that its pretty dumb to leave those contents in the car, but how many times have you left valuables in the car, usually locked in the boot or somthing. Also how many of you are trades persons who carry tools etc.

The point of the post I feel is "be cautious", a lot of people have this odd idea that Australia is relativley crime free or at least less than UK. The truth is petty crime such as theft from cars houses is a national epidemic. I remember last time in Perth getting a thingy through the door giving statistics for each road (in South Perth) and there was not one road that had not had a burglary. !!

Not sure if the information is actually available some place like library as its useful info if buying a house in an area.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty that cracked me up - On a driving holiday in Northern Ireland - the cases from the car where stolen. Pleased to say they also took the plastic bag containing our 9 months old sons really crappy nappy and clothes - he had an aversion to his food that day!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sally1968
Really sorry to hear that your sis has had such a bad time. Unfortunately, this sort of crime is rife world wide and i feel that it is just a matter of being cautious where ever you are. I hope it doesn't taint her view of Oz too much. Please wish her and her husband luck for the future.

Sally
40 years in ADELAIDE , never been broken into once......... MM
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Things I Have learnt from this forum about Australia

1. Hot in Summer

2. Cold in winter

3. It rains

4. You still have to clean house

5. Bigger garden means more work

6. There is crime (still cant believe that one)

7. There is lots of sand

Last edited by Stoney; Jun 22nd 2003 at 3:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.