Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Wikiposts

Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Okay, so I recently posted about the pommie-bashing that's getting a higher profile of late.

I mentioned the fact that the guy who effectively grounded Concorde was Australian (Chief Exec BA), and about the Aussie rugby player who said the English were arrogant (something about us 'even wearing red coats into battle'), but apparently...... they like us really.

...at least so says Professor Carl Bridge of the Australian Studies Centre.

BBC article

(Not sure what there was to dislike about us anyway ...)

(Disclaimer: The Professor lectures at King's College London)
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:51 pm
WBB

i have often thought that you know, they love us really and like that article says, it is a backhanded compliment.

it's just a bit of banter.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:52 pm
tennisoz

Does everyone in Australia hate England?

From the reaction Down Under to the English rugby team, you'd certainly think so.

"Arrogant England!" blasted the Brisbane Courier-Mail, the morning after the win over Uruguay.

"The English have always been an arrogant race," roared injured Aussie star Toutai Kefu, during the extra man saga.

England fined over error

"The only memories I have of England and the English are unpleasant ones," muttered France's Imanol Harinordoquy. "They are so chauvinistic and arrogant!"

It's enough to make Clive Woodward and his men cry themselves to sleep every night - once they've had enough of looking in the bathroom mirror and telling themselves how great they are, that is.

But, according to Professor Carl Bridge of the Australian Studies Centre at King's College London, the Aussie animosity should not be confused with genuine hatred.

In fact, the torrent of abuse is nothing more than a circuitous compliment of the most fraternal sort.

"It's a backhanded way of saying, 'We like you,'" says Professor Bridge.

"It's because the English are seen as part of the family that they can be insulted round the dinner table. It shows the respect and rivalry that exists.

Have Your Say
Are England arrogant?

"It's like insulting your brother. It's great fun. When Australians stop doing it, then you should worry, because then you're being treated like everyone else."

Woodward has been singled out for abuse in the Australian media, and has been moved to defend himself and his players.

"We are not an arrogant team - this is probably the least arrogant group of people I have ever worked with," he insisted.

But Professor Bridge says the England coach should be glad to be the centre of attention.

"For the first time in some years, Australians are really scared and worried. They think this England team can win the World Cup," he says.

"A certain sort of English behaviour upsets Australians, a form of diffidence or perceived offhandedness. Woodward is a harmless character and certainly not upper class, but some sections of the media have decided to portray him a toff.

Lawrence Dallaglio - loved across the world?

"This mentality is all part of an old game, going back to the convicts. It's the traditional response you will get, even though it doesn't work so well with modern Britain since the Blairite revolution, when everyone speaks Estuary English anyway.

"A lot of this also is to sell newspapers. To turn the World Cup into good story the tabloids up the ante, but it doesn't translate into real antagonism. There's no blood being spilt in the pubs or on the streets."

Should England triumph in the final in Sydney on 22 November, do not expect the team coach to be stoned in the street - even if it is Australia they beat.

"There is a great deal of solidarity with Britain," says Professor Bridge.

"During the war in Iraq, Australian soldiers and British soldiers stood next to each other. The first foreign soldiers into East Timor were British Army Gurkhas, and these things are noted.

"In business terms, there is no real competition between England and Australia. Companies operate together.

"Australian companies based in Europe always have their headquarters in London, while English companies operating in Asia are based in Australia."

"This is one nation talking to another with no sense of inferiority. In the old days, Australia was a province, but not any more."

Mmm - the guy is English isn't he?

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:19 pm
Badge

To be honest, if as you say, you are the 'right' sort of Pom then the Aussies won't necessarily bash you - in fact they will like you, banter with you and take an interest in the UK.

They do, maybe without realising it, see that we are 'family', and that's part of the 'connection', the heritage. Its the same if you're Irish or a Scot - but English people particularly.

Also militarily, Aussies have pretty much the same 'culture' as the UK. (Completely different to the Yanks for sure). The armies kind of work well together. The Aussie SAS was based on the Brit SAS, and speaking from experience, they are fine bushmen and soldiers.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 4th 2003 at 9:22 pm.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you're dead right WBB - of course it's a back-handed compliment.

But if on arrival I'm gonna get a little bashing because our army used to wear redcoats to battle I think I'm going to struggle to get back with a quick response - I thought it was too funny. I mean of all the things the Aussies could have had a go at us about the first thing that he wrote about was the redcoats from god knows when

And as Badge says it's banter. Thankfully it's a sense of humour I'm used to and that I definitely appreciate.

(Now, I'm off to swot up on Aussie battle dress.....)
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz
.....Mmm - the guy is English isn't he?
No! Professor Carl Bridge was one of my tutors at the Universty of London and he is definitely Australian!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

agree with all said above - however would like to point out that in general they are happy to dish it out, but a little less happy to receive.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz
Does everyone in Australia hate England?

From the reaction Down Under to the English rugby team, you'd certainly think so.

"Arrogant England!" blasted the Brisbane Courier-Mail, the morning after the win over Uruguay.

"The English have always been an arrogant race," roared injured Aussie star Toutai Kefu, during the extra man saga.

England fined over error

"The only memories I have of England and the English are unpleasant ones," muttered France's Imanol Harinordoquy. "They are so chauvinistic and arrogant!"

It's enough to make Clive Woodward and his men cry themselves to sleep every night - once they've had enough of looking in the bathroom mirror and telling themselves how great they are, that is.

But, according to Professor Carl Bridge of the Australian Studies Centre at King's College London, the Aussie animosity should not be confused with genuine hatred.

In fact, the torrent of abuse is nothing more than a circuitous compliment of the most fraternal sort.

"It's a backhanded way of saying, 'We like you,'" says Professor Bridge.

"It's because the English are seen as part of the family that they can be insulted round the dinner table. It shows the respect and rivalry that exists.

Have Your Say
Are England arrogant?

"It's like insulting your brother. It's great fun. When Australians stop doing it, then you should worry, because then you're being treated like everyone else."

Woodward has been singled out for abuse in the Australian media, and has been moved to defend himself and his players.

"We are not an arrogant team - this is probably the least arrogant group of people I have ever worked with," he insisted.

But Professor Bridge says the England coach should be glad to be the centre of attention.

"For the first time in some years, Australians are really scared and worried. They think this England team can win the World Cup," he says.

"A certain sort of English behaviour upsets Australians, a form of diffidence or perceived offhandedness. Woodward is a harmless character and certainly not upper class, but some sections of the media have decided to portray him a toff.

Lawrence Dallaglio - loved across the world?

"This mentality is all part of an old game, going back to the convicts. It's the traditional response you will get, even though it doesn't work so well with modern Britain since the Blairite revolution, when everyone speaks Estuary English anyway.

"A lot of this also is to sell newspapers. To turn the World Cup into good story the tabloids up the ante, but it doesn't translate into real antagonism. There's no blood being spilt in the pubs or on the streets."

Should England triumph in the final in Sydney on 22 November, do not expect the team coach to be stoned in the street - even if it is Australia they beat.

"There is a great deal of solidarity with Britain," says Professor Bridge.

"During the war in Iraq, Australian soldiers and British soldiers stood next to each other. The first foreign soldiers into East Timor were British Army Gurkhas, and these things are noted.

"In business terms, there is no real competition between England and Australia. Companies operate together.

"Australian companies based in Europe always have their headquarters in London, while English companies operating in Asia are based in Australia."

"This is one nation talking to another with no sense of inferiority. In the old days, Australia was a province, but not any more."

Mmm - the guy is English isn't he?
Look...all your points are probably really well thought out and considered. Frankly I didn't have the time to read them.

So how about we do it this way?

You know how you get demerit points on your license? Well let's give demerit points for our expats...

I'll Start...

Kylie M...(good bum) +125 points to UK
Dame Edna...(moron in drag) -100 points to any Country of the World

For this example (considering a 0 point contribution from UK to Australia - think David Beckham) Australia leads by 25 points...and therefore poms suck...

Your turn...
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Richard Branson... Virgin Blue. Showing the Aussies what cheap airfares means!..must be worth a few hundred points?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by podgypossum
Richard Branson... Virgin Blue. Showing the Aussies what cheap airfares means!..must be worth a few hundred points?

Good one...at least 500 points for 'ol toothy.

Who's keeping tally???

My turn...

Teaching the English Cricket Team how to lose with great consistency: +500 points.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I disagree strongly - Branson has not shown what cheap air fares are at all. He's just shown what undercutting Qantas by $5 can do for his own bank balance.
Bring on aussie Ryan Air
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by RichS
I disagree strongly - Branson has not shown what cheap air fares are at all. He's just shown what undercutting Qantas by $5 can do for his own bank balance.
Bring on aussie Ryan Air
Allocate points please...

So 'ol toothy is worth say -500 expat points???
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by RichS
Bring on aussie Ryan Air
well i am flying with them next week from Sydney to Adelaide for $99 including al taxes etc... that makes me happy and i dont care who is undercutting who!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, some of the English are arrogant, just look at some posts on here. I don't think Australians hate the English, I certainly have never met anyone that feels that way. If anything, the U.S. is our new victim.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:40 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by Modigliana
Look...all your points are probably really well thought out and considered. Frankly I didn't have the time to read them.

So how about we do it this way?

You know how you get demerit points on your license? Well let's give demerit points for our expats...

I'll Start...

Kylie M...(good bum) +125 points to UK
Dame Edna...(moron in drag) -100 points to any Country of the World

For this example (considering a 0 point contribution from UK to Australia - think David Beckham) Australia leads by 25 points...and therefore poms suck...

Your turn...
Hey, they aren't MY points! I copied and pasted the article from the paper in and put a line at the bottom just for the record. Why don't you give LICENCE demerit points as well while you are at it

TennisOz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.