Pom in England

Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:22 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pom in England

Originally Posted by hevs
Mike, with that one short line you just summed up that superior stuck up "Englishness" that makes me cringe and made me really glad to be here. Tootle pip old boy

here here!
fi
Old Sep 4th 2004, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, with that one short line you just summed up that superior stuck up "Englishness" that makes me cringe and made me really glad to be here. Tootle pip old boy
If the cap fits...

I have to laugh when people occasionally use the 'class' argument. Often used - sadly - by those that just can't hack it back in the UK.

If you don't think there is a class system in Oz, you are deluding yourself. Like most class systems, it is the 'haves' vs the 'have nots'. And Oz, USA and UK have the biggest gaps between these 2 groups. Oh, of course, there is the Aboriginal underclass in Oz, but they never rate a mention by Aussies or wannabe Aussies, do they?

Having been through the state school system myself, I have never encountered class prejudice in the UK (but then I've never seen myself as one of the oppressed, blah, blah). However, when I arrived in 'fair go, mate' Oz, what did I find. Why, in more senior financial circles, it's 'who you know' and 'what school you've been to'. Eg "I went to SCEGGS...I went to Kings" etc. It's probably like England 30+ years ago.

No doubt, it's all part of Oz's inbreeding.

But, I'm sure you'll tell me that the Packers and the Myers will be coming around to your place - or Badge's - for a barbie this arvo

Just wake up, open your eyes and venture out from your nice home!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:38 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Pom in England

Somewhat classless myself - nice middle class boy, grammar school in Bucks, nice middle class University back then (Exeter 1983 onwards), nice middle class jobs thereafter: I have to agree with some of you:

- perhaps the worst thing about the UK is the class system, the braying accents, the arseholes with no brain but the right school, the 'connections' that mean more than the ability to do the job, the shits who get ahead despite being shits with nothing good to be said about them.

Here's for meritocracy!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Do you work at the school there?
No, I live there (sorry, didn't explain properly in previous post). I know Woodlea School well, my son will be going there if Oz does not work out. Are you from this area?.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:28 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
If the cap fits...

I have to laugh when people occasionally use the 'class' argument. Often used - sadly - by those that just can't hack it back in the UK.

If you don't think there is a class system in Oz, you are deluding yourself. Like most class systems, it is the 'haves' vs the 'have nots'. And Oz, USA and UK have the biggest gaps between these 2 groups. Oh, of course, there is the Aboriginal underclass in Oz, but they never rate a mention by Aussies or wannabe Aussies, do they?

Having been through the state school system myself, I have never encountered class prejudice in the UK (but then I've never seen myself as one of the oppressed, blah, blah). However, when I arrived in 'fair go, mate' Oz, what did I find. Why, in more senior financial circles, it's 'who you know' and 'what school you've been to'. Eg "I went to SCEGGS...I went to Kings" etc. It's probably like England 30+ years ago.

But, I'm sure you'll tell me that the Packers and the Myers will be coming around to your place - or Badge's - for a barbie this arvo

Britain has come a long way from feudalism but their is still a step to take - abolish the last vestiges of the institutionalized class system:

Hereditary Titles

Then She will have to deal with uppity and downity beggars just like in the USA and Aus.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What about the white underclass in Oz, from what I saw in Qld, it's pretty big. I didn't grow up in the UK, so I can see it from an outsider's point of view. I think the UK is still very class ridden. I can usually tell someone's background or upbringing within 10 mins of meeting them, it's pretty clear cut. I find this is not the case in Oz, NZ or SA, sure class is an issue in these countries, just not as big an issue as in the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

If the cap fits...

LOL nice home!!! Its a renovation awaiting progress at the mo actually.

I venture out every weekend fwiw. Beach last weekend, snow a couple of weekends before, reguarly walk bits of the Dandenong ranges and maybe off to Adelaide next weekend if the Bombers are playing there, so please don't insinuate that i am insular with no perspective

Don't know who the packers or myers are, but i'm sure that they're nice....

Perhaps the class thing is seen in "more senior financial circles" In my experience here people speak as they find and offer help without needing or expecting anything back in return AND it doesn't matter what either of you do for a living. That may not seem much to some but i for one find it not only refreshing, but kind of humbling...........................

As for inbreeding, jeeze you should have lived in the village i lived in in leafy oxon, EVERYONE was related

Lastly, i hacked it rather well in the UK thanks and ran my own successful business, i just wanted a change and felt there was more to be had out of my comfy life.

We all have different priorities and feelings, some even feel that its ok to put total strangers down on a forum because they feel faceless. Sad really
Old Sep 5th 2004, 2:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No, I live there (sorry, didn't explain properly in previous post). I know Woodlea School well, my son will be going there if Oz does not work out. Are you from this area?.
Lived in Warlingham for a while when I was a kid.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bondipom
There was a piece in the SMH about the stereotypes between the suburbs. The North Shore Anglo snobs who have no pubs, the Latte set in the Eastern Burbs, the flanno wearing westies, and apparently in the Shire they are just a bit weird. A small element of truth in each but generally just the parochial nature of this nation. Queensland the redkneck state and don't get a Sydneysider on 4 seasons in one day Melbourne. For most it is just humour.

I find the British embarrassed about the class system and I feel sorry for those plagued with a public school accent. What is common in both countries is that private schools get you ahead in getting into university and private schooling is being encouraged by both parties to reduce the tax burden.
Talking about accents, I remember that it suddenly became trendy to speak with a kind of cockney accent - even some people who'd always had neutral home counties' accents. People can be funny, innit
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:34 am
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Talking about accents, I remember that it suddenly became trendy to speak with a kind of cockney accent - even some people who'd always had neutral home counties' accents. People can be funny, innit
Yeah they call it Estuary English don't they..?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fimart
Yeah, you're right, a miraculous accent that can be acquired overnight - if it fits your image!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fimart
Jonathon Woss is the classic estuary English speaker. Jamie Oliver is the typical wannabe geezer.

Wicked
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What about the white underclass in Oz, from what I saw in Qld, it's pretty big. I didn't grow up in the UK, so I can see it from an outsider's point of view. I think the UK is still very class ridden. I can usually tell someone's background or upbringing within 10 mins of meeting them, it's pretty clear cut. I find this is not the case in Oz, NZ or SA, sure class is an issue in these countries, just not as big an issue as in the UK.
Underclasses exist in both UK and Oz. But what is the 'class issue' in UK that you speak of? I don't know anyone, in UK, who believes that class has limited what they want to do. Sure, there are 'sirs' etc, but so what? In both Oz and UK, people speak of middle and working class - in Oz they make a big deal of it, referring to 'Aussie battlers'. The fact is class in UK has moved on hugely from the days of serfs. And the irony is there are many more opportunities for people in the UK than Oz - whatever your background.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 5th 2004 at 8:43 am.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Britain has come a long way from feudalism but their is still a step to take - abolish the last vestiges of the institutionalized class system:

Hereditary Titles

Then She will have to deal with uppity and downity beggars just like in the USA and Aus.
And this request from a country that, until 1967, gave aborigines the same voting rights as sheep.

Or, put in a blunt Aussie way, UK doesn't give a flying possum what Aus thinks.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't know who the packers or myers are, but i'm sure that they're nice....
Not insular? Kerry Packer's organisation owns a big chunk of Oz media and is one of Oz's richest men. Myer as in 'Coles Myer'...

In my experience here people speak as they find and offer help without needing or expecting anything back in return AND it doesn't matter what either of you do for a living. That may not seem much to some but i for one find it not only refreshing, but kind of humbling...........................
I've never had a problem with people speaking as they find in UK. In Oz work circles, you'll find backstabbing rife. Don't believe me? Just check out posts by a few others on the subject.

As for inbreeding, jeeze you should have lived in the village i lived in in leafy oxon, EVERYONE was related
Which, logically, must include yourself.

We all have different priorities and feelings, some even feel that its ok to put total strangers down on a forum because they feel faceless. Sad really
Faceless? Mike Stanton's my name : is your's really Hevs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.