Pom Bashing

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Pom Bashing

there's an amusing little article on smh.com.au today. Its about the rise of Pom bashing (mainly in rugby terms). It's certainly worth a read.

Here's a brief snippet...

After all these years, it shouldn't get to you, but it does: mainly because of the inherent inequality that comes with this tired old antipathy. An earlier description of the English, in this space, as everyone's favourite ethnic punch bag has assumed fresh validity at this Rugby World Cup. The Australians, of course, are not the only ones to run with the hot potato of the insufferable-Englishman stereotype. Before a recent England-France match, Imanol Harinordoquy, the French No8, denounced his opponents as "arrogant and chauvinistic" and called them "intolerable". He described playing against England as "extremely unpleasant". His piece de resistance was: "I despise them as much as they despise everybody else."

This made headlines, naturally, but there was no counter-blast of politically correct indignation of the sort there would have been if he had directed his comments at, say, Arabs in Paris, or Africans in Marseilles. The point is that it was acceptable for Harinordoquy to use xenophobic language to attack, well, English xenophobia. You can "despise" every English man, woman and child and draw only a murmur of assent. "Despise" homosexuals or asylum seekers in an interview, and, quite rightly, you get what you deserve.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pom Bashing

Originally posted by RichS
there's an amusing little article on smh.com.au today. Its about the rise of Pom bashing (mainly in rugby terms). It's certainly worth a read.

Here's a brief snippet...

After all these years, it shouldn't get to you, but it does: mainly because of the inherent inequality that comes with this tired old antipathy. An earlier description of the English, in this space, as everyone's favourite ethnic punch bag has assumed fresh validity at this Rugby World Cup. The Australians, of course, are not the only ones to run with the hot potato of the insufferable-Englishman stereotype. Before a recent England-France match, Imanol Harinordoquy, the French No8, denounced his opponents as "arrogant and chauvinistic" and called them "intolerable". He described playing against England as "extremely unpleasant". His piece de resistance was: "I despise them as much as they despise everybody else."

This made headlines, naturally, but there was no counter-blast of politically correct indignation of the sort there would have been if he had directed his comments at, say, Arabs in Paris, or Africans in Marseilles. The point is that it was acceptable for Harinordoquy to use xenophobic language to attack, well, English xenophobia. You can "despise" every English man, woman and child and draw only a murmur of assent. "Despise" homosexuals or asylum seekers in an interview, and, quite rightly, you get what you deserve.
I despise English Homosexuals. Am I going to hell?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I notice it in the media - but it does seem to mainly be in the realm of sport.

I was surprised at some of Simon Crean's snide comments about British sport during the TV-broadcast of the AFL Grand Final Breakfast. I was also disapponted at the anti-England sentiment of the Aussie's at last weeks' England v Samoa rugby game in Melbourne. Whereas I think most poms were applading the Samoan's goals and their national anthem, England got booed (much of the Samoan's support was of the Aussie variety!)
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pom Bashing

Originally posted by Modigliana
I despise English Homosexuals. Am I going to hell?
ROTFLMAO I like it
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

when its sport and the like I think you just have to grin and bear it, irksome though it is. In the case of the rugby I think its because they are worried.

to answer a couple of other points:

1. I suspect that yes indeed you are going to hell, but hey the housing may be cheap. On the down side it may have a large amount of English homosexuals in residence.

2. If there's one thing that English people can;t really justify a whinge about it's the booing of nation anthems. You might not have done it yourself, but you've watched every national anthem under the sun booed every time we play footie against someone. Sad but true I'm afraid.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:58 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I don't think it is limited to just English bashing, try American bashing too.

A few weeks back I watched the Mundine fight. He was fighting an American for the title. I have never seen anything so embarrassing. Echols (the American) when he walked into the ring carried two flags, his own and also the Australian flag. Trying to be a gracious guest.

When it was time for the American anthem the Aussie crowd jeered and booed through the whole anthem.. it was a terrible show of disrespect to another's anthem. I felt most sorry for him.

cheers

P.s I thought you may have invented a new sport when I read the title.. English bashing. I thought that sounds very interesting..lol , a bit like dwarf throwing.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

when its sport and the like I think you just have to grin and bear it, irksome though it is. In the case of the rugby I think its because they are worried.

to answer a couple of other points:

1. I suspect that yes indeed you are going to hell, but hey the housing may be cheap. On the down side it may have a large amount of English homosexuals in residence.

2. If there's one thing that English people can;t really justify a whinge about it's the booing of nation anthems. You might not have done it yourself, but you've watched every national anthem under the sun booed every time we play footie against someone. Sad but true I'm afraid.
Answer to 1). Damn
Answer to 2). Double damn

Now; if I don't give a damn about sport, do I go to hell quicker or just stay there longer?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

ROFLMAO!!..EXCUSE ME WHILE I FALL OFF MY CHAIR!

The thought of a Frenchman calling the English arrogant and chauvenistic is the funniest thing i've heard in years!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
When it was time for the American anthem the Aussie crowd jeered and booed through the whole anthem.. it was a terrible show of disrespect to another's anthem.
A bit like saying that the aussies can stick their anthem up their a*se, eh Ceri?

Podgy, the same thought did cross my mind .
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I was commenting rather than whingeing! Yes, you're right - I guess that I don't go to many international games in any sport so it is not something I've personally witnessed before now. But come to think of it, games I've watched on TV....booing....yes, I see your point.
I don't like it regardless of who is doing it to whom, poms included.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:59 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
A bit like saying that the aussies can stick their anthem up their a*se, eh Ceri?

Podgy, the same thought did cross my mind .
well they can, but I certainly would not boo and jeer at it. Every sporting event I have been to here they kick off with the anthem. I show respect, I stand the same as the aussies in the crowd.Pity more people don't show the same respect for other nations anthems instead of welcoming them with a Boo

P.s The brits can also stick their God save the queen up their Arse too .. if thats any comfort. Hate the anthem.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ceri
P.s The brits can also stick their God save the queen up their Arse too .. if thats any comfort. Hate the anthem.
Now...now...your flame is showing...
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Modigliana
Now...now...your flame is showing...
come on .. who on earth likes God save the Queen??? A national anthem is supposed to be just that - an anthem about the nation (ie it's land and peoples). I can't think of any other anthem in the world that sings about it's "leader" .. exept Iraq perhaps when saddam was in power.

bet if there was a vote in britain to change "God save the Queen" the vote would be "yes"

cheers

Land of hope and glory I always thought would make a better one for the British anthem... and perhaps England can have it's own one too, as they are the only ones who do not have an official anthem all to themselves

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 6th 2003 at 12:29 am.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think Land of Hope and Glory would go down too well as a British anthem as the words are entirely about England and its battering of the Welsh/Scots and Irish...not that I've a problem with that in any way.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I don't think Land of Hope and Glory would go down too well as a British anthem as the words are entirely about England and its battering of the Welsh/Scots and Irish...not that I've a problem with that in any way.
Is it?

well I never knew that.
cheers

P.S perhaps the English should have it then, it will keep in tune to mine

Though foemen have trampled my land neath their feet .The language of Cambria still knows no retreat .The muse is not vanquished by traitors fell hand Nor silenced the harp of my land.

The English invaders it is referring to.
( a loose English translation from Welsh of the last verse)

first verse .. The land of my fathers is dear to me, a land of poets and minsterels,famed men. Her brave warriors, patriots blessed. It was for freedom that they lost their blood

Freedom!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.