Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For Pollyanna or Mrs D

For Pollyanna or Mrs D

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:47 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default For Pollyanna or Mrs D

Do you know the best/cheapest place to buy a PAYG sim card in Brisbane?

Please!!! I arrive on Monday and the people I'm staying with haven't got a scooby what I'm talking about!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Over here they are called Pre-Paid, rather than PAYG, try that term and they might get what you mean!
From my own experience - we live near one of the big shopping malls, and there is an Optus shop, and a Telstra shop there, as well asa a couple that cover all the suppliers. I would guess all the big malls have at least one or two outlets - get your hosts to direct you to the nearest (or tell Mrs D where you are going to be and she'll be able to do it!) and then you should find a shop no problem. They'll fit it for you, sign you up and transfer all the numbers from your old sim card if you ask em nicely!! I had to take my passport as proof of ID by the way (bit more official than the UK).
Hope that helps!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a virgin mobile reseller.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:42 pm
Chillin out in WA

So good news, I don't need it unlocked as it is a phone that allows any sim card anyway!!!
I'll be in the Morningside rea so Canon Hill isn't far or Bulimba, do you know of anywhere in that area that may do me!!! sim card wise!!!

Originally posted by Pollyana

Over here they are called Pre-Paid, rather than PAYG, try that term and they might get what you mean!
From my own experience - we live near one of the big shopping malls, and there is an Optus shop, and a Telstra shop there, as well asa a couple that cover all the suppliers. I would guess all the big malls have at least one or two outlets - get your hosts to direct you to the nearest (or tell Mrs D where you are going to be and she'll be able to do it!) and then you should find a shop no problem. They'll fit it for you, sign you up and transfer all the numbers from your old sim card if you ask em nicely!! I had to take my passport as proof of ID by the way (bit more official than the UK).
Hope that helps!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:18 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not my area I'm afraid (I know where they are but thats about it!). Have to wait for Mrs Dagboy to drop by, she'll know straight off......
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bec, I am desperately late & have to run, but if you are at Cannon Hill, you can try either Cannon Hill shopping centre (Kmart sells PAYG sims for most providers) or Carindale which has a huge shopping mall & will probably have the actual providers (Optus, Telstra) as well as resellers (Fonezone etc).

My choice would be Virgin, you can get their PAYG simcards everywhere! Even alot of garages & small stores sell them, as well as places like Kamrt & BigW.

Give us a yell if you need to know more, I'll be back later today
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:32 pm
Chillin out in WA

Thanks very much.......I've already been told we're off for lunch at "hungry Jacks" at Canon Hill so I'll check out Kmart etc

Thank you ladies
Old Dec 4th 2003, 9:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brisbec
Thanks very much.......I've already been told we're off for lunch at "hungry Jacks" at Canon Hill so I'll check out Kmart etc

Thank you ladies

Your hosts sure know how to give the big Australian welcome, if you don't know already Hungry Jacks isn't some Anitpoedean Restaurant serving hunks of Kangaroo and BBQ Prawns, it is Burger King.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:06 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Your hosts sure know how to give the big Australian welcome, if you don't know already Hungry Jacks isn't some Anitpoedean Restaurant serving hunks of Kangaroo and BBQ Prawns, it is Burger King.
LOL that exactly what I thought, geeeeeeeeez they are going the whole hog, taking you to Burger King for lunch, what a treat!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:10 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL that exactly what I thought, geeeeeeeeez they are going the whole hog, taking you to Burger King for lunch, what a treat!

Do they still do that meal deal for four people for $11.95?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Do they still do that meal deal for four people for $11.95?
Dont know, been there a bit then jayr to know the meal deals?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Mustn't let The Bloke read this one - on my second visit to Brissie, he said we would be going out to lunch on the first day with some close friends of his - I know they are fairly well-off, posh house etc so I thought we were in for something reasonable - no chance! We went to MacDonalds!!! One somewhere down near Yatala I think?!!
Couldn't believe it, I mean I wasn't expecting anything amazing, just a pub lunch or something, but MacDonalds? and they thought it was a real good treat!!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Pollyana
Mustn't let The Bloke read this one - on my second visit to Brissie, he said we would be going out to lunch on the first day with some close friends of his - I know they are fairly well-off, posh house etc so I thought we were in for something reasonable - no chance! We went to MacDonalds!!! One somewhere down near Yatala I think?!!
Couldn't believe it, I mean I wasn't expecting anything amazing, just a pub lunch or something, but MacDonalds? and they thought it was a real good treat!!
McDonalds isnt food, its crap LOL. Dagboy calls it Mucky Dogs (which is a pretty fair description actually!), the boys have the happy meals if they get the chance, but Eddie & I have to be pretty desperate (ie havent eaten for a week) before we will touch the stuff
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:35 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Dont know, been there a bit then jayr to know the meal deals?

Once.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Once.
Must have made a good impression on you then, especially to remember the price .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.