Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Polly) I went to the English shop today & I bought.....

(Polly) I went to the English shop today & I bought.....

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:48 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default I went to the English shop today & I bought.....

..... a yorkie bar
..... a boost bar
..... a can of Vimto

Before anyone says anything, I like it here, I like the food here, but DAM its good to have a little taste of home sometimes

Also there I noticed; marmite, Paxo, jelly babies, sherbert dabs, Birds (tinned) custard, 4 types of polos... etc etc

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 2nd 2004 at 4:16 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Polly) I went to the English shop today & I bought.....

Originally Posted by mlbonner
..... a yorkie bar
..... a boost bar
..... a can of Vimto

Before anyone says anything, I like it here, I like the food here, but DAM its good to have a little taste of home sometimes

Also there I noticed; marmite, Paxo, jelly babies, sherbert dabs, Birds (tinned) custard, 4 types of polos... etc etc
Yorkie, that'd be nice, and I've eaten the last lot of Sherbet. Got some sugar mice there last time, they were scrummy.
Any Mini Cheddars in sight? I got some "cheese" flavoured Ritz biscuits in Coles last week, but they were no more cheesy than the UK normal ones. I used to adore Cheddars and haven't quite found a match yet.....
How about Malt Loaf? Or are they still out of that as well?

I'm a happy bunny this week cos my gorgeous wonderful thoughtful Bloke (having got fed up with my whiging about torn mail) has bought us a bigger mailbox!!! Hooray!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yorkie, that'd be nice, and I've eaten the last lot of Sherbet. Got some sugar mice there last time, they were scrummy.
Any Mini Cheddars in sight? I got some "cheese" flavoured Ritz biscuits in Coles last week, but they were no more cheesy than the UK normal ones. I used to adore Cheddars and haven't quite found a match yet.....
How about Malt Loaf? Or are they still out of that as well?

I'm a happy bunny this week cos my gorgeous wonderful thoughtful Bloke (having got fed up with my whiging about torn mail) has bought us a bigger mailbox!!! Hooray!!!

They seemed to be a bit low on savory delights (was trying to find some pickled onion monster-munch!) but I did see Soreen if thats what you're after?? Lots of sherbert things (dips and dabs!) & a lot of Cadburys chrissie boxes too.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Soreen, thats the stuff. Right, I'll be off there on Saturday! I like the sherbet stuff, so I'm sure I can find a few treats.
Still no Monster Munch then?

Oh, and remember we were talking about Spaghetti Hoops in plain tomato sauce? I tried to find some last week, no chance, - no hoops, and all weird sauces. The Bloke was baffled at the description, said he'd never seen any.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 2nd 2004 at 4:17 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Soreen, thats the stuff. Right, I'll be off there on Saturday! I like the sherbet stuff, so I'm sure I can find a few treats.
Still no Monster Munch then?

Oh, and remember we were talking about Spaghetti Hoops in plain tomato sauce? I tried to find some last week, no chance, - no hoops, and all weird sauces. The Bloke was baffled at the description, said he'd never seen any.

Nope, no monster munch lots of other good things though. Is a really interesting shop, all things from everywhere. The dutch choccies looked particularly tempting

Weird about the 'oops!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Just held a poll in the office.....no-one has come across 'oops, not in Qld, NSW or Darwin (well travelled lot these girls!).
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:28 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Nope, no monster munch lots of other good things though. Is a really interesting shop, all things from everywhere. The dutch choccies looked particularly tempting

Weird about the 'oops!

In Coles down here I've found spaghetti hoops in normal sauce, Heinz, but they are in a tiny tin. In the normal tin section.

Someone, who I thought was just a work aquantance, sent me a huge parcel of chocolate the other day!!! God I felt so sick but it was fantastic!! It is amazing how you find out that some people are so kind when you emigrate.

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:30 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
In Coles down here I've found spaghetti hoops in normal sauce, Heinz, but they are in a tiny tin. In the normal tin section.

Someone, who I thought was just a work aquantance, sent me a huge parcel of chocolate the other day!!! God I felt so sick but it was fantastic!! It is amazing how you find out that some people are so kind when you emigrate.
I'll have check out Coles little tins carefully tomorrow night. I'll report back....!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:55 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I'll have check out Coles little tins carefully tomorrow night. I'll report back....!

Poll and Michelle,

Please tell me this shop has a web site and deliver to Gero.

Oh and same here I love the food here, the seafod is amazing and the meat is so much nicer than the meat in the UK I love all the different foods you can try and have to say I am a bit of a fan of Arnotts little savoury biscuits especialy the ham and cheese ones but there are somethings that just dont match up, Even the Aussie hubby is missing a lot of things he got used to in England, more than anything a curry but I have got a great recipe book an Indian lady I worked with in the Uk gave me so I must get cooking one of them.

Kala
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:05 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Poll and Michelle,

Oh and same here I love the food here, the seafod is amazing and the meat is so much nicer than the meat in the UK I love all the different foods you can try and have to say I am a bit of a fan of Arnotts little savoury biscuits especialy the ham and cheese ones but there are somethings that just dont match up, Even the Aussie hubby is missing a lot of things he got used to in England, more than anything a curry but I have got a great recipe book an Indian lady I worked with in the Uk gave me so I must get cooking one of them.

Kala

Sorry luv, no can do. Its just a little boutique place in the CBD here. I like those little biscuits too, chicken is my favourite I think..... Had a curry on Saturday night, been to the same place a couple of times now and its not too bad - took a few dud places to find it though! Getting hungry now.

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 2nd 2004 at 5:16 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

I wonder if there's one in Sydney? Ive come over all gastronomically nostalgic all of a sudden.....but I must say I prefer the Basil flavour Arnot's biscuits
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

A.K.A Purry-Paws Smith
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a speciality shop up here that sells all kinds of sweets and chocs from N.Z and U.S.A and dutch licorich (sp?) plus:

Thorntons chocs, Paxo stuffing, yorkshire pudding mix, bisto gravy, HP sauce, matthew walker xmas puds, colmans sauces ( mustards / pickles / bread sauce etc), english cranberry sauce, Monster munch, Quavers, Prawn cocktail walkers crisps, all the chocs you can think of: walnut whips, all cadburys -uk stylee-, those tunnocks teacake thingys, wagon wheels, wine gums and fruit pastilles...the list is endless.

Seems like a good shop and its always full, but i think to spend $4 on a packet of paxo is a bit of a ripoff if you ask me.

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:38 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Poll and Michelle,

Kala
Going down there on Saturday, so if they've still got Paxo I could post you some....??
I agree, the seafood here is ace - we have a brilliant fish & chip shop 5 mins walk away, fish cooked while you wait. I'll try te Arnotts biscuits and see how they compare to Cheddars.....
l
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by steandleigh

Seems like a good shop and its always full, but i think to spend $4 on a packet of paxo is a bit of a ripoff if you ask me.

Nice for a treat though! thats what I use the English shop down here for.

Thorntons.....hmm.....wonder if The Bloke fancies moving to Cairns.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.