Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

View Poll Results: Are you happier in Australia ?
Been here less than 6 months and NOT as happy
2.24%
Been here less than 6 months and unsure
7.46%
Been here less than 6 months and Happier
15.67%
6 months to 2 years and NOT as happy
6.72%
6 months to 2 years and still unsure
11.19%
6 months to 2 years and Happier
32.09%
More than 2 years and NOT as happy
3.73%
More than 2 years and STILL unsure
2.24%
More than 2 years and Happier
18.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

A common thought for many people considering moving to Australia will be, "Will we be happier there?"

For those already here, how do you feel now, for the time span that you have been here, compared to your life back in the UK:

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

The same.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:10 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The same.

yes, I agree, life is generally the same for me, as was in UK, same shit, different bucket type of thing, but havin a bigger house, close to the beach, more money and nicer weather make it alot easier to deal with

laura
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

About the same(some things worse, somthings better I guess).
Was happy in Holland, am happy here.
It's hard to compare though too, because in Holland I was still a student, here I am working full time.

Better things here are: more/better friends(my old friends that I've known since high school, and new friends I've made via expats), doing more(due to friends, being in a new place, and the weather a bit.

Worse is: no family(yet), working , big city(so more traffic, feel a bit less safe etc)

But yeah, to conclude again: about the same (I haven't voted on the poll, 'unsure' doesn't fit exactly...)
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:58 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Happier.

Aus is as we expected it to be. Good and not so good bits.

We knew before we came that no where in the world is utopia & nothing can ever, ever, ever replace friends and family you leave behind.

We resigned ourselves to starting again, meeting the challenge head on and taking Aus for what it is, good and bad.....and we love it.

Happier....

warts and all

Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Poll results lookin good so far!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Poll results lookin good so far!
Survivor bias.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:02 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

We are very happy would be happier if our stuff would get here (20th this month should be here )and if it would stop raining but bigger house then we could ever hope for in the uk 10 minute walk to beach 10 minute drive to work along said beach what more can i say but
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Megalania
Survivor bias.
That's a good point

Pity about not giving an option for feeling "the same" oops...

Maybe just vote not sure, as that means about the same as "not sure it's any different = the same"

Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Homer
We are very happy would be happier if our stuff would get here (20th this month should be here )and if it would stop raining but bigger house then we could ever hope for in the uk 10 minute walk to beach 10 minute drive to work along said beach what more can i say but
We should have our second lot of boxes arriving around the 21st of june. I can't wait. Opening the first lot was like christmas come early.

Katie
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We're happier, not necessarily because we're in Australia or Brisbane, but because we no longer have to travel every week as we did in the past 4 years. It's nice to have a home to come back to every day and be able to attend to the dog and the garden. We're just happier with a simpler life.

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

7.5 months and counting.

I guess you could say we were just plodding along lifes pathway whilst in the UK. Didn't really have any major problems but were not content for all that.

The process to emmigrate was a difficult one for us and since being here we have faced more challenges than I care to recite.

It seems as soon as one hurdle is overcome something else jumps up to bite us in the arse.

After obtaining PR a month ago we thought our turn had come to relax a bit, but no, some other major stuff has raised it's head so the next few months will challenge us yet again.

We've come through so far and will do so again.

I think our experiences have made us more self fulfilled people and in spite of everything we are much happier here than we were in the UK.

Role on citizenship
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

This reminds me I was quite shocked when bessie mate from UK ask me over the phone 'are you happy' ....a simple enough question ...but at the time I'd only been here 3 months and it made me realise I was spending more time 'trying' to be happy, than actually being happy! That was over a year ago and now I would say yes, definitely happy here now!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:44 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
7.5 months and counting.

I guess you could say we were just plodding along lifes pathway whilst in the UK. Didn't really have any major problems but were not content for all that.

The process to emmigrate was a difficult one for us and since being here we have faced more challenges than I care to recite.

It seems as soon as one hurdle is overcome something else jumps up to bite us in the arse.

After obtaining PR a month ago we thought our turn had come to relax a bit, but no, some other major stuff has raised it's head so the next few months will challenge us yet again.

We've come through so far and will do so again.

I think our experiences have made us more self fulfilled people and in spite of everything we are much happier here than we were in the UK.

Role on citizenship
awe my puddy tat whats happenin now ?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:04 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
This reminds me I was quite shocked when bessie mate from UK ask me over the phone 'are you happy' ....a simple enough question ...but at the time I'd only been here 3 months and it made me realise I was spending more time 'trying' to be happy, than actually being happy! That was over a year ago and now I would say yes, definitely happy here now!
It's funny you should mention this. Eleven months on and I'm still constantly asked if I'm happy.

Parents ask cos they're worried, siblings ask cos they miss me and friends ask cos they've never been to Aus and think it's outback country with creepy crawlies in my bed and snakes and crock's in the garden

Of course I appreciate people asking cos it shows they care, but how often do you have to keep jumping through "I'm happy hoops" before people really believe you?

Perhaps after 20 years some bugger will stop asking. Only another sodding 19 years to go then

Is this normal?

Does anyone else feel they have to constantly justify their happiness with people back in UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.