British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/poll-skills-demand-vs-ease-finding-employment-354167/)

neil.b Feb 20th 2006 9:45 am

Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy

I am a fitter on the MODL.Been in Brisbane for 6 months now.
First 3 weeks sorting the essentials and then sourcing work. I secured a casual position within 4 days and have not had a day without work since. There is better money as a casual rather than permanent. I get around 5-6 phone calls every week from labour hire companies offering me positions, so I can have the pick of the bunch.
Seriously, if there are any fitters considering moving to Brisbane, there are more jobs than fitters. All the casual fitters that I have spoken to will not work for less than $25 per hour, and its not hard to get that. I'm currently earning around $1500 per week, and thats around the average.

wavy_davy Feb 22nd 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

Originally Posted by Nicstids
I'm a solicitor (not on the MODL) and when we came out to validate last July I saw a recruitment agency on the Monday and had been offered a job by the Friday. :) (Unfortunately though I can only work as a paralegal until I've re-qualified as a solicitor in Queensland. :( )

The firm were happy to wait until we arrived here for good and I start work on Monday :eek:

Congratulations, hope it's all going well for you Nicola. We're flying out to Perth on the 28th March finally!!! Thanks for all your help :beer:

Cheers

Dave & Katy

happy chappy Feb 22nd 2006 7:47 pm

Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employm

Originally Posted by neil.b
I am a fitter on the MODL.Been in Brisbane for 6 months now.
First 3 weeks sorting the essentials and then sourcing work. I secured a casual position within 4 days and have not had a day without work since. There is better money as a casual rather than permanent. I get around 5-6 phone calls every week from labour hire companies offering me positions, so I can have the pick of the bunch.
Seriously, if there are any fitters considering moving to Brisbane, there are more jobs than fitters. All the casual fitters that I have spoken to will not work for less than $25 per hour, and its not hard to get that. I'm currently earning around $1500 per week, and thats around the average.

Hi Neil.b I have PM'ed you.

Nicstids Feb 23rd 2006 3:40 am

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Congratulations, hope it's all going well for you Nicola. We're flying out to Perth on the 28th March finally!!! Thanks for all your help :beer:

Cheers

Dave & Katy

Thanks guys. Loving it so far. First 2 days at work went fine - really friendly bunch of people :)

Hope all goes well for you. Not long now :D

Nicola

isgraham Feb 23rd 2006 4:34 am

Originally Posted by spottydog
Partially but all the way through the process it seems to have been:

Hear nothing for ages, then want interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want second interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want references immediately.
Now I seem to be back on the hear nothing for ages period while waiting for the paperwork from them then I guess they will want me to start yesterday.

I'm also still getting calls from agents saying just received your Resume and I emailed it to them 3 or 4 weeks ago.

That sounds familiar, I'm going through it at the moment send out CV for a position advertised as urgent wait for a week then a get a phone call asking if you can do an interview that day or the next. I'm a .NET developer by the way. I have even been to a job interview where the interviewer did not know what job he was interviewing me for and proceded to ask me questions for a skill set that I do not posess. Its all fun though.