British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/poll-skills-demand-vs-ease-finding-employment-354167/)

Buzzy--Bee Feb 10th 2006 7:53 am

Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy

ali south Feb 10th 2006 8:49 am

Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy

I voted, "not on modl list and easy" but it was not really easy, just felt this was the best option because I know how hard some people find it to get a job, mine took 8 weeks to get after months of fighting to get my skills assessed as a teacher

Buzzy--Bee Feb 13th 2006 7:27 am

Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Thanks - would anyone else like to contribute their experiences?

Cheers

Buzzy

Amazulu Feb 13th 2006 7:43 am

Re: Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

I answered not MODL & easy. Arrived on Sunday, got offered 4 jobs on Wednesday, started the next Monday. Too easy. I'm in engineeriing & that's white hot in Perth at the moment.

philian4 Feb 13th 2006 8:19 am

hi,
both in health/nurses. Walked into jobs within days and I have to keep turning down offers of part time 'write your own roster' jobs!!

phil x :)

Greigrob Feb 13th 2006 8:38 am

On MODL and easy,

Air con engineer - speaks for itself really!! ;)

Buzzy--Bee Feb 15th 2006 7:02 am

Thanks for votes so far - would anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy

Nicstids Feb 15th 2006 9:27 am

Thanks for votes so far - would anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy

I'm a solicitor (not on the MODL) and when we came out to validate last July I saw a recruitment agency on the Monday and had been offered a job by the Friday. :) (Unfortunately though I can only work as a paralegal until I've re-qualified as a solicitor in Queensland. :( )

The firm were happy to wait until we arrived here for good and I start work on Monday :eek:

margoo Feb 15th 2006 10:04 am

I'm social worker (not on Modl - skills assessed) and voted for it was hard. I still don't work as a social worker, but there wasn't a have-to-work-in-another-occupation-option. Three months and still surviving on some casual jobs... it starts getting me... :(

Buzzy--Bee Feb 15th 2006 10:21 am

Originally Posted by margoo
I'm social worker (not on Modl - skills assessed) and voted for it was hard. I still don't work as a social worker, but there wasn't a have-to-work-in-another-occupation-option. Three months and still surviving on some casual jobs... it starts getting me... :(

Try option 3 Margoo!!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy

margoo Feb 15th 2006 8:27 pm

Try option 3 Margoo!!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy

Social Work is NOT on Modl/other skill shortage list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Margoo

spottydog Feb 15th 2006 11:23 pm

IT Project Manager, I've been offered the first job I applied for but it's taken just over a month to get from application to offer.
One thing I've found here is it's not unusual for the same job to be advertised by 10 different agents and them all to reckon they are the preferred supplier.

Buzzy--Bee Feb 16th 2006 6:58 am

Originally Posted by spottydog
IT Project Manager, I've been offered the first job I applied for but it's taken just over a month to get from application to offer.

Do you think that may have been due to the time of year spottydog?

Cheers

Buzzy

Buzzy--Bee Feb 20th 2006 7:27 am

Anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy

spottydog Feb 20th 2006 8:04 am

Do you think that may have been due to the time of year spottydog?

Cheers

Buzzy

Partially but all the way through the process it seems to have been:

Hear nothing for ages, then want interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want second interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want references immediately.
Now I seem to be back on the hear nothing for ages period while waiting for the paperwork from them then I guess they will want me to start yesterday.

I'm also still getting calls from agents saying just received your Resume and I emailed it to them 3 or 4 weeks ago.